Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2003, 02:19 PM   #41
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
LOL, Timber. I am sure that Hillary is out there composing a hate letter to you. And you a Damnocrat, too. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
AARRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! *bangs head repeatedly against desk*

When will you guys get it that I am NOT NOT NOT a Democrat? I get my weekly RNC emails telling me of Bush's world-saving plans. I am a sit-the-fence-and-mock-everyone kind of guy! GET IT?

I mock all political parties, all races, all creeds, all religions, all nationalities, all schools of thought with equal disdain. I look down on Dems and Repugs with equal aloofness. I am nothing more than a Devil's Advocate waiting to poke holes in someone else's original thought because I have not the capacity to generate my own ideas. Sheeeshh, how many times do I have to explain this?
Old 02-06-2003, 02:22 PM   #42
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
At 4 he went into a "generic type" christian school...I was not thrilled with the half hour of religion he had to sit through each day, but in the end it was a small price to pay to watch my son learn to read a full two years before the public school would have required him to. As for his "smaller class size" there were 42 children in his class.
People should be able to read by 4. I learned to read before going to school as my parents spent the time with me to do so. Part of the problem with public schools these days is discipline, and parents. If their kid does something wrong you can't discipline them without facing a lawsuit brought on by the parents, teachers should at least have the authority to remove disruptive kids and by force if necessary. In public schools, no problem, parents sign on the dotted line giving teachers the authority so when a kid acts up he faces consequences. Should public schools be improved, absolutely, but it will involve more than just tossing money at the problem, it will involve rewriting some of those liberal laws that give students more rights than the teachers, trying to teach. Banning public schools will do nothing but ensure more of your population is less educated. I will point out that if a classroom is full of well behaved students they will learn so much more than if a classroom has one bad apple like little Johnny. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-06-2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 02-06-2003, 02:27 PM   #43
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
AARRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! *bangs head repeatedly against desk*
Can I help?

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:29 PM   #44
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

On pritchke's note, I would mention I am for empowering teachers as well. As MagiK often mentions, the government nanny-ism visited on the education system by bureauons (bureaucrat + moron) in effort to monitor a teacher's every fart ultimately hamstrings the system or, at best, turns it into a meat factory straight outta The Wall.

And, I certainly support corporal punishment.

And, Kaltia, please quit plaguing me today! *flicks insignificantly little bug across room* [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

[ 02-06-2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 02-06-2003, 03:10 PM   #45
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
People should be able to read by 4. I learned to read before going to school
I would venture to say that MOST children do NOT know how to read before they start pre-school. There are a few gifted kids who do, but most that I am aquainted with can only make out a few words (maybe we are just in a low IQ region) I was considered a fast learner and was reading at a 12th grade level by the time I was in 4th grade (anyone remember the Scott....whoever reading systems?) but did not know how to read before I started pre-school. As for spending the time to teach a 3 year old how to read...good luck, it isn't just a matter of time, it is also the parents ability as a teacher and the kids inclination. Congrats on learning before you started kindergarten.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:13 PM   #46
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

MagiK - in case you missed it: see the second post on this page. Oh - and I PM'ed you.

[ 02-06-2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 02-06-2003, 03:19 PM   #47
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:

And, Kaltia, please quit plaguing me today! *flicks insignificantly little bug across room* [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
*cries* *LOUDLY* Oh, alright

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:28 PM   #48
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
Part of the problem with public schools these days is discipline, and parents. If their kid does something wrong you can't discipline them without facing a lawsuit brought on by the parents, teachers should at least have the authority to remove disruptive kids and by force if necessary. In public schools, no problem, parents sign on the dotted line giving teachers the authority so when a kid acts up he faces consequences. Should public schools be improved, absolutely, but it will involve more than just tossing money at the problem, it will involve rewriting some of those liberal laws that give students more rights than the teachers, trying to teach. Banning public schools will do nothing but ensure more of your population is less educated. I will point out that if a classroom is full of well behaved students they will learn so much more than if a classroom has one bad apple like little Johnny. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QB]
Yes by all means improve discipline at public schools, though it's really a parents job to instill manners. One of the benifits private schools have is the ability to expel disruptive students, this then puts the problem back into the public school and drags everyone there down. the end result is the poor have to send there kids to a school full of bad behavior and the rich smugly gloat at how there child has the benifit of a private school.

Quote:
Banning public schools will do nothing but ensure more of your population is less educated.
I guess this is a typo, if not please explain?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-06-2003, 04:10 PM   #49
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Quote:
Banning public schools will do nothing but ensure more of your population is less educated.
I guess this is a typo, if not please explain?[/QUOTE]Yes it is a typo.It should be banning private schools will do nothing but ensure more of your population is less educated.

If you ban all private schools and nothing is done to improve the public ones than the end result is none of the kids will be excelling as well as they could be. If the public school system is improved the private ones will disappear over time. There will always be some private schools based on religion and they should not be banned because I think it is a parents right to determine if they wish to pay extra that their kids have their religion as a piece of everyday education as long as the rest of the curriculum meets standards. Many parents are just paying extra for the better learning environment but this would disappear if the public school system is improved.

My grade 10 biology teacher was from the Philippines, he would have a few minutes of silent prayer before the beginning of class. So no matter what religion you were you could have that minute of silence to pray. If you were no religion than you could use that time to think about whatever. It was the best solution to a dynamic world. Today he would probably be fired for it in a public school.