Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2003, 10:59 AM   #1
MagiK

Found this, and thought it interesting.

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent, Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent; Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)! In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the state Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience proves it. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens. Take note Americans, before it's to late!

Yeah, anecdotal evidence is the least trustworthy, but it is still one of those things that make you say Hmmmmm! (to quote a tv talk show host from the 90's)

Old 01-15-2003, 11:06 AM   #2
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Question Mark

*Clutches his copy of the Constitution tightly to his chest*

Yeah, that's right. You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

*Official, card carrying, gun toting, Redneck!*

BTW...Hi Magik! Long time no talk. [img]smile.gif[/img]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 01-15-2003, 11:08 AM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

This letter has the smell of 'bogus' reeking from it.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-15-2003, 11:11 AM   #4
MagiK

Hiho nacht! I been down in the WAR forum [img]smile.gif[/img]

Umm Yorick, I know you hate guns and all but uhhhh usually you come out with a bit more evidence than "It sounds Bogus". I can't verify anything about the originator, however, the stats he quotes come close to some that I have been seeing reported in other places for Aussieland. (otherwise I wouldnt have posted it)

Old 01-15-2003, 11:26 AM   #5
Donut
Jack Burton

Come on Magik - do your research!

Eurotwit sigh

[img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-15-2003, 11:28 AM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Hiho nacht! I been down in the WAR forum [img]smile.gif[/img]

Umm Yorick, I know you hate guns and all but uhhhh usually you come out with a bit more evidence than "It sounds Bogus". I can't verify anything about the originator, however, the stats he quotes come close to some that I have been seeing reported in other places for Aussieland. (otherwise I wouldnt have posted it)
Well well. Thanks Donut for that link.

I guess the old adage, "if it smells like craps and looks like crap then it usually is crap" still stands

Thanks again Fred.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-15-2003, 11:34 AM   #7
Rokenn
Galvatron

mmmm crow, it's not just for breakfast anymore [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 11:44 AM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Come on Magik - do your research!

Eurotwit sigh

[img]smile.gif[/img]
LOL - your good on your research Double Donut Seven - over to Magik for rebuttal - the only question left being will he fall on his disclaimer or his sword on this one [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 01-15-2003, 11:55 AM   #9
MagiK

To Donut: Thanks for the link. I appreciate having hoaxes debunked too!

To the other peeps:

Oh yes, he got me good...except..I NEVER said I endorsed the letter...if you look...what did I actually write?

Yeah, anecdotal evidence is the least trustworthy, but it is still one of those things that make you say Hmmmmm! (to quote a tv talk show host from the 90's)

And also

I can't verify anything about the originator,

Soooo oh boy am I eating crow....NOT. Sheesh. If you all need so badly to put me in my place, at least wait till I actually make some kind of stand.

Old 01-15-2003, 11:55 AM   #10
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Hmmmmmm...thanks for the link Donut. Although, I still stand by my post. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Remember..."Polls are the leading cause of statistics", whatever the hell that means.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"