Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2002, 11:01 AM   #11
dragonwolf
Dungeon Master

it was wrong for the christians to do that and they should be told to back off

but it was no hate crime

they do it all the time to my church (mormon) at all of our confresses and special events trying to convert us(keep in mind that the name of the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints) and telling us we are going to hell

the funny thing is in all of my readings of the bible i have never seen where God says to go out and preach INtollerance of others and their beleafs
Old 05-02-2002, 11:15 AM   #12
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

you are absolutely right, Christians shouldnt be intolerant, they should openly accept different people, and different types of religions....
and share with those people the goodness of Christ, not how theyre all going to burn in hell...
I think that group of christians, (and especially the deputy) should be fined a large sum and have to do a lot of service hours....
Old 05-02-2002, 11:23 AM   #13
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I've was once at a christian outdoor meeting where a couple of wiccans tried the same thing. Tried blasting their recorded music while we were singing.

I was at another christian meeting where an athiest was on a box shouting and attempting to disrupt the meeting.

No Christian sued these guys for hate crimes.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-02-2002, 11:50 AM   #14
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I wouldn't call it a hate crime either. Hate crimes are usually very serious and involve criminal activity such as vandalism, assault, etc. Sounds like the Christians were just being obnoxious and totally out of line, you get all kinds in this world of ours from all sides, no matter what religion they are. Surprised this got CNN coverage myself.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-02-2002, 01:41 PM   #15
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Definitely not a hate crime. By placing themselves in a public situation and inviting the public to attend, they can hardly call it a hate crime. Now, they may have some grounds for civil action (don't know for sure on that) but that's about as far as it goes...and BTW, I am sympathetic with the Wiccan worshippers, those so-called "Christians" were way out of line.

If the Christians had broken into a privately held ceremony and tried the same thing, that would be a different circumstance.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-02-2002, 02:57 PM   #16
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I have had Christian groups come and disturb a private Samhain rite. I have been told time and again that I am going to hell because I dont' have the exact same beliefs as someone else. Pretty sad, but true. It took a while to convince my then-girlfriend-now-wife that I am not a devil worshipper, because she grew up being taught that pagans are all satan worshippers. Sigh. Since then, I've had the oppotunity to explain to her how it really is and how the church has done some not-so-nice things in the past, too. No religion is entirely right or wrong. I am tired of people who think they have to condemn others for having thoughts of their own. Unfortunately, for some people, converting others is a large part of their belief structure, so I try to tolerate it as best I can.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:49 PM   #17
Chewbacca
Zartan

I didnt even answer my own question..ooops. Well I think Hate crime is a little strong language, although disrupting a religious practice is defined as one under california law. It was definitly wrong and disrespectful, as it would be if the reverse were to occur.

I come from an odd form of Shamanism that reconciles the differneces of the wolrds religious paths with the similarities and ties common themes together under the umbrella of an individuals conscience as the moral and ethical authority of that individual's behavior. Harm none and do as you will. Thats were I stand. I take the example Christ left for us with the same weight as Budda's.

Anyway, I have had my far share of preachers, particularly when I worked in a pagan shop that specialized in insence and psycic readings. These people ranged from Hari Krishna's, to Mormon Missionaries, to Jehovah witnesses and Baptists. I found them all to be quite egotistical, and usually they left my presence angry, because I wouldnt give them any fight or recourse. I would simply say "I respect your beliefs" Ah just the implications that they werent respecting my own was enough to shut them up, usually. My friend, a Witch, would start yelling at them, that usually made them leave as well. Serve em right I guess.

We all live on the same planet, we should treat each other as we would want to be treated. Thats the lesson those people in California forgot. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:21 PM   #18
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

well, lets not forget that the christian religeon doesn't exactly state they they MUST convert every non-beliver either...

it just happens that many people in the Christian religeon also, just happen to be assholes...

those are words comming from a Christian mind you...
Old 05-02-2002, 05:06 PM   #19
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

This kind of thing has been going on for a long time. A little LA scurmish..no wonder someone didn't at least swing on another.?? I bet charges were dropped somewhere.

Christians: What about way back when Elijah was stirring up the Baal priests. 1 Kings 18:17-40. Now that would be considered a hate crime now days.

Wicans: seems like the taunting go's both ways..?

Peace! I do beleive that nature fortells things to come myself. When you see the bud upon a tree you know that summer is coming.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:40 PM   #20
Thoran
Galvatron

Intolerance is one thing I can't tolerate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think the wican's should've turned em into a newt.

[ 05-02-2002, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Thoran ]