Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2001, 05:05 PM   #61
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

As always Yorick, a great post. I still do believe that there's a clash a religious beliefs. Maybe not on our part. But certainly to them (extrimists and terrorists). That would make it both a clash of civilization and a clash of religion in my books.

But your points and interpretations are both valid and just. It's just a small matter of sementhics.

------------------
If I am because I think, then, if I talk without thinking, I'm not really talking! Am I?
Old 09-28-2001, 05:08 PM   #62
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

America is most definitely not a left wing country or society, certainly not as compared to Europe.

As for the American press, it is very conservative on key issues in the society. For example, any serious talk of class warfare in the US is shunned in the media. Owned by rich and powerful economic interests dependent for their position on the status quo, they are fundamentally conservative in the one area which lies at the heart of the distinction between right and left wing -- that of attitudes about inequalities of wealth in the social order. The American media certainly does not want to shake up the current status quo in the country in any real or meaningful sense.

Neither the Republicans nor Democracts do either. BOTH the main political parties are fundamentally conservative in crucial ways. I sometimes dont see any real difference between them, just a sort of political version of Tweetledee and Tweetledum

Old 09-28-2001, 05:11 PM   #63
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:

America is most definitely not a left wing country or society, certainly not as compared to Europe.

As for the American press, it is very conservative on key issues in the society. For example, any serious talk of class warfare in the US is shunned in the media. Owned by rich and powerful economic interests dependent for their position on the status quo, they are fundamentally conservative in the one area which lies at the heart of the distinction between right and left wing -- that of attitudes about inequalities of wealth in the social order. The American media certainly does not want to shake up the current status quo in the country in any real or meaningful sense.

Neither the Republicans nor Democracts do either. BOTH the main political parties are fundamentally conservative in crucial ways. I sometimes dont see any real difference between them, just a sort of political version of Tweetledee and Tweetledum

The real difference between Republican and Democrats: the name. They're both dead center on the scale. They take the opposite views of the party in power 'cause that's the way it is. You can't go too far on either side. Then you start loosing votes.

------------------
If I am because I think, then, if I talk without thinking, I'm not really talking! Am I?
Old 09-28-2001, 05:14 PM   #64
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:

Certainly isn't near the left. One of the lowest taxation rates in the world, poor health and unemployment care built on a user pay mentality.

User-pay is far from left-wing.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-28-2001, 05:19 PM   #65
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:
To Silver Cheetah and Kaz: Thanks for the thumbs up... I'm sure it's the only one I'll get today

It's just sad to see how common sense and reality can be clouded by judgements.

Awesome post on the 'not a pacifist' thread, Ryanamur!

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination OR Paws R Us
Old 09-28-2001, 05:20 PM   #66
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Touche, my friend!

Although, my Dad IS smart! We just don't agree on everything! But at least HE doesn't insult my level of intelligence now when we clash. He used to, but he finally learned that HIS way isn't the ONLY way.

Always nice when that happens!

------------------

Old 09-28-2001, 05:24 PM   #67
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Certainly isn't near the left. One of the lowest taxation rates in the world, poor health and unemployment care built on a user pay mentality.

A Dah, Me thinking Canada. Oups, My mistake.

The US is governed with a tendency to the right but with a strong demand from the majority of the population for a move to the left. However, the political powers do not listen to the majority, they only listen to who pay and those are the big guys: the rich capitalistic individuals of this world... and they pull to the right.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 09-28-2001).]
Old 09-28-2001, 05:33 PM   #68
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Yes, that's what I've been saying. Thanks!

------------------

Old 09-28-2001, 05:36 PM   #69
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
A Dah, Me thinking Canada. Oups, My mistake.

The US is governed with a tendency to the right but with a strong demand from the majority of the population for a move to the left. However, the political powers do not listen to the majority, they only listen to who pay and those are the big guys: the rich capitalistic individuals of this world... and they pull to the right.

Whoa, Ryanmur that's a big generalisation bro. There are populists who by definition listen to the majority. I think you'll find most have to to survive, yet they also have to balance catering to those with power and money - especially media moguls - because of their influence over the said majority.

------------------

Old 09-28-2001, 05:37 PM   #70
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
As always Yorick, a great post. I still do believe that there's a clash a religious beliefs. Maybe not on our part. But certainly to them (extrimists and terrorists). That would make it both a clash of civilization and a clash of religion in my books.

But your points and interpretations are both valid and just. It's just a small matter of sementhics.

Thanks mate. Fair enough.

------------------