Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 09:45 AM   #121
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Morguerat

In the space of a few moments it appeared that the group would fracture, splinter and crumble under the pressure. Senora seemed to have struck some deeply placed nerve of Larry's, to the point where some trapped bit of shadow stretched it's tenuous grasp outward and tried to overtake Larry. Silently noting that Larry was still tainted by the Shadow, much as Morguerat himself had been until he had taken Larry into the shadow realm, He reminded himself that if his oath to protect Larry required it, he would slay the man without a second thought to save him from the darkness still within himself. But that was not what this time needed, tempers flaring, thinly veiled secrets revealed to a near stranger, and Joseph acting so damned smug, goading Larry.

He cleared his throat loudly to bring their attention back to him, "Larry calm down, as you said almost everyone knows your past crimes, whatever happened just now, unless she caused you harm," he looked to where Senora was now standing, "drop it, we can handle it later. Joseph, you say the Shadow Mage is gone from this place? Perhaps his servants will be stripped of power without his presence to bolster them...

"Larry, you insult my honor to ask my oath a second time. You should know better than anyone else that I'll not leave your side, though you go through the Hells and back
"

He looked at the three others in the group, and reminded himself what his instructors had taught, and he had learned for himself years ago, "powerful illusionists often live in a world entirely of their own design" It certainly seemed true of Joseph, but he was either not unstable enough, or not powerful enough to give himself over completely to his fantasies and constructed world, although he seemed close. After ensuring that Larry would not have another outburst he looked at Joseph, "So what are we to do with the Mage of Shadow absent, raid his underwear drawer?"
Old 06-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #122
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

OOC>>>I posted at the same time that Cyril was about to include a post of his own, and after seeing it I wanted it included in the story. So, I am inserting it here...

**By Cyril**

Joseph

The shadows moved. And that is definitely not a good thing when it’s that sloppy and that random. Same kind of rage that rocked the realm of Shadow, except without the malice and nowhere near the power. Still the signature is clear -- uncontrolled and undisciplined, naked force. ~ He’s more fragile than I thought, and power like that can break a guy. Especially when anger’s calling the shots.

His gestures are graceful and subtle and so fluid are his movements that they seem a natural counterpart to the heated emotions of these last few moments. He speaks not a syllable, for the artistry of this enchantment requires not words only the silence of a complex movement that is calmly made. It is a weak enchantment for he can risk nothing stronger if the woman is indeed and empath as too great an emotional force, even if the force is positive, would likely harm her. And so the quiet calm that moves outward from his gestures is slight, enough only to take the edge off the sharpest of feelings here between Larry and Senora – he has positioned himself deliberately so that the warrior stands outside of the spell’s effect.

Turning now to the warrior he points to the shadows of the nearby stand of trees. “Those shadows moved in the heat of his emotions,” he says quietly enough that the other two, occupied by the words and emotions exchanged between them would be unlikely to hear. Speaking then in more conversational tone, he continues, “As for suggestions, I have none. I don’t sense that other Presence, but I only know that through the effect it has upon certain aspects of my art. Larry, I suspect, once he calms down might be able to tell us more. As to what we do with proof of its absence, I know too little to say except that I doubt very much any so powerful as that one shall be away for very long and so whatever we do it must be done both quickly and decisively.”

He smiles, then, and with a nimble movement of his fingers conjures a coin. “Of course, I could just take a shot and see about returning home.” He tosses the coin and while it is in the air says, “Heads I stay. Tails I go.” Catching the coin, he turns it over on his wrist. “Heads it is,” he winks. It’s always heads, of course, but once more the formalities must be observed.

“Besides,” he says quietly, “somebody’s gotta teach the kid how to control that power of his before it eats him alive.”

================================================== =============================

**By Larry**

Larry Silverfall

A curious calmness continued to soften Larry's aggressive mood. Why did this Morgeruat care so much and why had he taken an oath anyway?

Nevertheless, it was good to know that he was not alone anymore. He suddenly realised this truth. True, he had been ripped away from his other two friends, Silt and Vincent...two that had also promised to stay by his side. Now they were on their own and their condition was unknown. Larry felt sorrow for their loss by his side, but knew...somehow...that things would be okay.

What Morg said next woke Larry up from his inward thinking. So Morg was also convinced that the Mage was gone? Impossible! Yet, Larry no longer had the bite of anger in his voice. Instead, he asked with a tranquil voice:

"What makes any of you really believe that the Shadow Mage could not actually be in this game at this time? Why would he leave? Think about it! This feeling you are having has to be some sort of trick he is playing to lure you into a trap. Nobody knows him better than I. Don't be fooled by trickery."

[ 06-03-2005, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #123
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Morguerat

The former knight nodded to what Larry had said, there was wisdom in the words, any experienced campaigner knew that caution would keep you alive, but sometimes reckless abandon created a breach those who survived could use to push the front forward. "Larry, search yourself, You are no longer the Mage of Shadowy Moderation but some part of that being exists in you yet. The shadows just now when you became angered, I don't know the extent of it, nor do I think you overly dangerous to us or yourself, but there is some connection there still. Search it and tell me what you feel, is your fear of the Shadow as strong as it was? Do you feel menace from that part of you that held power as it's utmost goal."

Joseph was quickwitted, and could sense things far beyond the ken of the warrior, but he did not trust the mageling, he had not truly trusted a willworker since Nalia had visited the Order in what seemed like another lifetime.

ooc still not entirely happy with the way that came out, but it can stand for now...

[ 06-03-2005, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 06-03-2005, 02:55 PM   #124
Salinye
Manshoon

Senora

Senora clenched and unclenched her fists that hung down at her sides as she walked briskly towards the sacred shelter of the forest. Moments after she turned her back on the small group of men Larry erupted, spewing a fury of words at her back. She didn’t blame him, her gift was not often welcomed. However, his words disturbed her less than what she saw taking place among the trees before her. Their shadows seemed to distort somehow. The change was hard to explain verbally, however there was no doubt in her mind that it was not a natural occurrence. She assumed the effect was associated with Larry’s anger. Perhaps she had initially misjudged him. She stopped moving and watched as they stopped their unusual dance and faded back into the shadows they should be. Shadows… She remembered what she and joseph had been talking about before her “incident” with Larry.

Before she could ponder this further she felt a weak wave wash over her. She felt a shiver run up her spine as she shook the feeling away and placed a hand to her forehead. Turning around to face the group she knew immediately what had taken place. Joseph and Larry both seemed to have turned their attention to Morguerat whom if he was to glance over the shoulder of his companions would notice for a brief moment as the light shifted through the wind-blown trees two radiantly green eyes within Senora’s hood that were slanted into a glare, her gaze boring into Joseph’s back.

Given the circumstances she decided she’d take her chance with the forests shadows. Within a few steps she disappeared among the trees in search of a quiet place to commune with her goddess for guidance. Whether or not the group left her or waited was no longer a concern of hers.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #125
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Larry Silverfall

He did not notice the passing of the hooded lady into the trees, for he was engaged in conversation with Morgeruat at the moment. Joseph was also waiting to see what the former ranger was going to do. He saw no real harm in it, since both of these guys could probably handle whatever accident might occur upon delving into this darkness in his head.

"Okay. I shall try to reach out and locate the Mage. If what you say is right, that I share a link with him...then it should not be hard, eh? But let me warn you...doing so may tell the Mage where we are at. He'll come straight to us if he is indeed in this forum."

Seeing that the others did not move to intervene at this warning, Larry closed his eyes and began to try and think back...back to that life that he had lived.

~Shadows~

~Death~

~Echo ?~

The difference in this attempt to feel the presence of the Mage in this forum was that instead of looking inward, Larry was trying to reach out...like calling home to the Tower. In order to do so, he had to first recall a few memories that would bring him in line with the evil of the place. Once he was sure that he had enough to go on, he sent his mind reaching outward, trying to grasp onto something tangable out there. This would be the first time Larry had ever tried such a feat, and did not even know if it were possible to accomplish, but had faith that if the Mage were really out there...he'd pick up on Larry's attempt and use it against him.

After what seemed long enough...Larry stopped his meditation and blinked his eyes at the brightness of the day which he had not noticed before, as though he had been in darkness a long time.

"I feel nothing. There is no Mage out there. You were right! But...where is he? Why would he abandon his own playground? There is just something wierd about this. Well...that's it. Wha...what are you guys looking at?"

Larry was oblivious to it...but the others could see that his shadow had become animated, yet still attached to the host for a brief moment...but in that moment, the shadow had actually opened its eyes to reveal orbs of dark purple. It writhed on the ground, trying to tear itself away from the human just before Larry came back from his search. When he opened his eyes...the shadow had closed its own.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #126
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Elsewhere – Beneath the terrible closeness of the Sky

He nods. So simply the Mage has named that which separates and distinguishes them, and yet so readily has he overlooked it. Power. Still he persists in the foolish equation of greatness with might. Indeed, such an insistence is even more emphatic within the mage than even during the great struggle when a misplaced trust in the power of the Ring precipitated his downfall. Yes, there is now a focus about this One that had been lacking in that prior struggle and this makes him exceedingly dangerous, dangerous enough that he might well prove his equation of might with greatness to be true against all other claims. But claims are things the man of stormy quiet knows well for his tale is the tale of a life that has been seized and claimed and yet is still his own. A man of the relentless and defiant assertion of freedom he has long ago rejected that fancy of vacant lives that freedom is matter of becoming and doing all that one would wish in favor of the wisdom that holds the truly free is that one capable of saying no to all things save that single thing that he would become and do.

“It remains to be seen,” he says simply, “whether the lack of a conscience is truly a strength, or merely the crutch of self-deception.” The hatred he bears for this One of Modding Shadow smolders still within him, but his will remains sure in its choice. “Be it strength, or be it weakness, however, conscience has here bid me pause while license demands your slaughter.” He pauses and looks at the Mage with eyes that disclose nothing of conscience nor of hatred, merely a cold and focused appraisal. When he speaks again it is not in the clumsy tongue of that outsider land of IronWorks but in the language of ha’am ha’shama’im -- the People of the Sky, {{Despite your power, you stand here, a stranger within your own game seeking war where there is none to be found.}} His eyes move upward and widen at the sight of the silent expanse of the Sky and his voice drops to a whisper, a whisper that is more clear in its near silence than the thunder so many associate with his presence. {{I submit to the demand of no tale save my own.}}

[ 06-03-2005, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Cyril Darkcloud ]
Old 06-04-2005, 12:39 AM   #127
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The Mage of Shadows

"Oh lay off the faulty dramatics Windbringer. So you say that you are not bound by my power, yet you managed to find an easy foothold in the forums that are mine...attempt to remove me from my throne, and then slayed my champion! The Tavern thread was not big enough for you...so you had to branch out...mettle in my doings and try to become that dark hero that all the girls will adore. Sounds to me like you were but a lost leaf in this storm you ride. A lost leaf blown far away from that tree from whatever peaceful meadow that you grew from. If you think about it...you were mine all along, playing the part that needed to be played...just like a little marionette. So I was not the one at the the lead. You were still there."

The Mage smirked as he paused in his ranting.

"You say that there is no war to be fought, yet I am then wondering why you lured me here away from my domain. You have killed one of my creatures of might. I take offence to that. What would you have us do now? Just turn our backs and walk away from here? Therefore, why do you say, there be no war to be found?

Answer that, meddler.
"

[ 06-04-2005, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-05-2005, 12:12 AM   #128
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Nanashi: An already occured event, part 2...leading up to the present time.

Nanashi did as was bade by her Master, taking the duchess to the underground prisons where she would be held until the Mage decided what to do with her. She teased the large woman about this all the way down to the cell-block.

When she was done with her chore, She loped around the Tower, not having anything to do and not wanting to face the Master right away because of fear of his anger at her failure. She decided to hide out for a while, snooping about and slowly making her way back to the throne room. When she finally did make it there, the Master was not at home, but what was more strange was that an owl had found its way into the Master's room, untouched by the shadow creatures all around. She snarled at the lack of security in this tower, and charged the owl, intent on not letting even one stupid bird make claim that it had breached the Master's throneroom unblemished.

OOC>>>The were-cat sees only an owl... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2005, 03:30 AM   #129
dplax
Jack Burton

The owl, also known as Andrion Wilgor 22/22

A predatorial snarl woke the owl instincts inside him, and Andrion opened his eyes to see someone rushing at him. It was more out of reflexes of the owl body, than conscient will that he flapped his wings and rose to a height of about twenty feet by the time the werecat reached the point where he had been sleeping.

At the safety of this height he had more time to inspect who this newcomer was. The ju-ju zombie had not shot at him or her so he or she must be a servant of the mage. Then recognition hit him. Those claws, that face, he had seen them at Castle Leisismoore. But he had thought that Nanashi had perished when the tower had fallen. But it seemed that either out of her own or her master's power she was saved.

Andrion hooted a greeting to Nanashi and then let out a string of hoots, which meant that he was a servant of the shadow also. He just hoped that the weretiger would understand what he was trying to say.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #130
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Morguerat

Morguerat listened to what Joseph had said, his curious motions and manner of speaking betraying the spell he had cast, likely a subtle dweomer, as directly provoking any of the group with obvious and unwarranted spellcasting would only make things worse, Larry seemed to calm, but Senora shot a glare into Josephs back that would have withered a fiend. The “walking tincan” caught a glimpse of the glare in the most vibrant green eyes he had ever witnessed; he would have been captivated if the look had not chilled him to the bone and rooted him to the earth he stood on. She then stalked off leaving the former knight speechless and gazing curiously after her. Larry said something which Morguerat missed as he desperately tried to restart his mental faculties which had been halted by the glare. He blinked a few times and looked around finally realizing that Larry had been speaking and saw his shadow writhing around, and then twin violet orbs held where the shadow’s head was located, closing as Larry’s own eyes opened. Morguerat took a step back from both Larry and Joseph as he made the connection, whatever darkness Larry bore was much greater than the taint Morguerat himself had borne, and unlike the cold weight upon his spirit Larry’s taint appeared to be a living malevolent thing, writhing within him. This was worse than he had suspected. How would he have to carry out his oath, he wondered. Would it be better to protect Larry or destroy him?

A patch of mud slipped away under the knight’s feet and he crashed hard on his left knee. A groan of surprise and pain left his lips as he hit, still a bit too startled by the weight of everything to let his honed instincts evade the worst of the damage. “I’m getting too old for this.

[ 06-06-2005, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Closed Thread