Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2001, 10:34 PM   #1
Magness
Quintesson

This is a topic idea that came to me after reading a IWD heart of winter page on another board....

I seem to remember in the old days of playing the SSI Gold Box DnD games (Pool of Radiance, etc...) that when a character was ready to level up, he/she had to go to some sort of training hall, pay some gold, and THEN the character leveled up.

There are times when I think that this would have been a nice feature in BG1/BG2 (or IWD, for that matter). Also, it would have been a good way to force the players to spend GP beyond weapons & armor, etc.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-05-2001, 10:38 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Planescape: Torment have a similar concept, the main character has to train in order to allocate his weapon proficiency points, though I don't recall whether I have to spend any GP for that or not.......it would be a nice idea, add some more depths to the game.
Old 02-05-2001, 10:40 PM   #3
BLACK KNIGHT

Might and Magic was the same way. I remember that it was a pain in the butt, though. But it does make some sense. Then again, isn't what you do for the experience points training enough? Just a thought

BK

Old 02-05-2001, 10:46 PM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

True it is a pain in the behind, I recall getting all frustrated not being able to spend the weapon prof points on the Nameless One. But at the same time, like you mentioned, add some sense....swinging the sword is more practical, while techniques and theories can be learned from professionals passing down through generations (although you can discover your own, but it might take longer).

Btw, BK, enjoy your little drama on another thread, definitely PG-13 material.
Old 02-05-2001, 10:57 PM   #5
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

I agree that such a thing might be i good ideal, but how you do such a thing, the warriors would not train mages, the mages anything else. The paladins might take offence if an evil warrior uses their trainning hall, not to mention the clerical order taking offence at this. AND were you you train in the underdark or spellhold.
earning moves through battle is not that hard, you can see the movement of other warriors blade and learn to copy the attack.
Old 02-05-2001, 11:01 PM   #6
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Limitation of the availablity of training ground makes it more challenging (eg. Torment)....one thing for sure, we'll probably need another CD for the added information and data. Mages train their own, warriors train their own, paladins train their own....etc.
Old 02-06-2001, 10:18 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

Accord - I agree, Each class would need to visit a "training hall" suitable to the class. Just some more flavor for the game, I'd think.