Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2001, 10:52 PM   #1
Burrtoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've been playing through BG2:SoA again, using different NPCs than usual and trying a kit I never really played before. I have to say, the swashbuckler is amazing. I do regret the loss of backstab though. But my main character has the best AC of anyone in the group. And the 'to hit' and 'damage' bonuses really add up. He's got about 45% of the kills in the party.

Also, since I'm involved in the Aerie romance this time, I decided to use her for more than a mobile, rechargable healing station. I never knew clerics could be that powerful when they mem stuff other than healing/buff spells.

On the new NPCs, I didn't miss much. Slowly going back to my usuals. Had Nalia in my party for the first time and did the stronghold quest with her. She's kinda boring, but a decent mage though. I booted her not long after the funeral. I have Valygar and Mazzy now, Val is going to get kicked soon, but Mazzy rocks! Can't believe I've overlooked her all this time.

I think next on the "To Try" list will be Cernd. Never had him in a party either.

I'm curious how well a swashbuckler will do in ToB. Guess there's only one way to find out.

The Toe
Burrtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 02:44 AM   #2
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I've heard that haer'dalis is the 'worst' (in terms of raw power) npc, but I must make a case for cernd. In my current game, I don't have Jaheira in the party, so I needed to take cernd to finish the druid grove quest. Firstly, this guy has an AC of 9 (!!) and can't wear any armor! Using his werewolf ability improves his AC to -2, but in this form he can't cast spells, and his thaco is still an abysmal 10. I can't see any possible use for this loser... Although I'd imagine his Greater Werewolf form, available at lvl 13, improves things slightly (hopefully moreso)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 04:23 AM   #3
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by floyd:
I've heard that haer'dalis is the 'worst' (in terms of raw power) npc, but I must make a case for cernd. In my current game, I don't have Jaheira in the party, so I needed to take cernd to finish the druid grove quest. Firstly, this guy has an AC of 9 (!!) and can't wear any armor! Using his werewolf ability improves his AC to -2, but in this form he can't cast spells, and his thaco is still an abysmal 10. I can't see any possible use for this loser... Although I'd imagine his Greater Werewolf form, available at lvl 13, improves things slightly (hopefully moreso)
yeh he is BAD, he is WORSE, I took him in the group just because I want to see him in action. When I saw his two swords I thought, WOW cool swords, but when he starts fighting.........

------------------
There's something in your eyes, ah no, I see now, it's the reflection of my deadly gaze - Mirac Honorguard
(Necromancer)
You deal, I'll cut -- Lilarcor
Mirac Honorguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 06:40 PM   #4
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Possible spoiler
Ol' Haerry screws with your Aerie romance too. The little half-fiend has a honeyed tongue.
Sir Kenyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 08:35 PM   #5
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Baldurs Gate 2 is a really re-playable game, once you beat the game you can restart and play again and again NPC's effects the storyline interesting specially romances. My current party is Minsc,Aerie,Nalia,Jan,Anomen. I'll restart with a totaly new party except Anomen and taste different romances. Maybe I install the multi-romance patch and have romance with both 3

"My love? Are you..oh..no honeyy I was just kidding dont shed your tears..yes..you're the only one for me My Aerie come here baby I'll make you fly AND YOU WONT NEED YOUR WINGS BABE!!!" )))

------------------
"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears.."

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan "Diamond Fighter of Aerie Lovers Sacred Band"
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 09:48 PM   #6
Burrtoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've played this game a few times, and I can't believe how much stuff I missed. Buying BG2 was well worth it. One of the best games ever.

So Cernd sucks eh? Hmmm, might as well pick him up for a quest or two anyway, just to say that I did. Can he wear bracers of defense? Gotta be some way to drop his AC to something reasonable.

If there's a chance that Haer Dalis' is going to screw up my romance, then he can rot. And I might not drop Valygar for a while yet. Seems that he and Mazzy have some dialog. Val is so useless though, and bland too. Their dialog had better be entertaining.

Got a question also. If I were to switch my main character in the middle of the game, would it mess anything up? Like romances, stronghold quests, etc. Not that I want to switch, the swashbuckler is fun. I'm just curious.

Thanks,

The Toe
Old 09-19-2001, 03:29 PM   #7
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

What about solo career swashbuckler dual to mage sounds exciting

------------------
"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears.."

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan "Diamond Fighter of Aerie Lovers Sacred Band"
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 04:42 PM   #8
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Burrtoe:

So Cernd sucks eh? Hmmm, might as well pick him up for a quest or two anyway, just to say that I did. Can he wear bracers of defense? Gotta be some way to drop his AC to something reasonable.
I'm not too sure if he can wear bracers. I didn't have any extras and wasn't about to buy ANYTHING to support this fool. But I would think that he probably can.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 05:33 PM   #9
masteraleph
Elminster

Don't underestimate Cernd, esp. @ higher levels. Yes, he can wear bracers. Not only will he get insane #s of spells, he'll get the high level druid abilities, including Greater Elemental Summoning, which is very strong. His Greater Werewolf form is VERY powerful as well...only trick is to get him to cast his spell at the beginning of a fight, then switch to Greater Werewolf, and then back at the end of the fight.
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 06:21 PM   #10
Burrtoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
What about solo career swashbuckler dual to mage sounds exciting

I don't think I could ever play the game solo. Not for lack of skill, but because removing the NPCs would remove a lot of the fun also.

Dualing to a mage... Hmmmm...

I don't know, I'd have to give it some more thought. Wouldn't be able to dual my current swashbuckler over though, since his INT is 11. The swashbuckler kit is pretty powerful on it's own, and with Use Any Item, I'll be able to cast mage spells from scrolls. My character has -11 AC right now and I'm only in chapter 3. Jaheira comes in second at -8, and she gets some of that from a shield.

The Toe