Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2003, 10:28 AM   #41
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
I think MagiK should have to eat crow, he did post it believing it, sorry Ray crow might be good on the grill [img]tongue.gif[/img]
LoA [img]smile.gif[/img] sorry but I was not a true believer, I found the numbers matching some other things I read, I posted it looking for comments, and Donut provided exactly the kind of comment I wanted..it didn't say the letter was true but gave me more information about the letter. My purpose was served. I'll eat crow when appropriate (see my entry about being in error in the "heh" thread in the war forum).

Old 01-16-2003, 10:35 AM   #42
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Vaskez:
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
[qb]Sounds like a load of bollocks to me. Look at the figures for number of gun related deaths in a year in the USA and the number in England. USA has roughly 4.5 times the population but something like 300 times the no. of gun-related deaths. Hmmmm!
Vasky, you better look up your stats again [img]smile.gif[/img] A while ago I posted statistics from the US CDC on the number and cause of deaths.

The Presses and publicly touted number of gun deaths are almost always exagerated by a factor of 10 (literally! press says 30,000 actual number was 3 - 4 thousand.). bathtubs and water kill far more americans than guns do, and the per capita firearm related death is only vastly higher than the UK's if you include gun suicide deaths in the statistic.

If I have time Ill post the CDC link again...the CDC is going to be the closest thing you can find in the USA to an unbiased source of numbers. They are primarily disease oriented but ended up with the task of tracking the cause of death in the US from all sources and causes.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:43 AM   #43
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by madjim:
Both Australia and Great Britain have had a dramatic rise in crime - and in gun related crime since "their bans". I have read that in Australia the crime of what is called in the United States "home invasion" has risen dramatically since the ban has taken effect. Yeah I can go dig up the statistics but I wont waste my time trying to preach to resident aliens and or Europeans that have already given away their right of self defense. So you folks that fear the gun stay behind locked doors and alarms and pray 911 works - as for me I'll be-a-waiting the criminals with old reliable - my winchester 1200.
Since what ban in the UK ? We havent brought a ban in, and as for 911 it would have no effect at all over here, we use 999. [img]smile.gif[/img] .And please dig up those statistics,and yet again peoople will produce counter statistics to prove you wrong,I have not given up my right of self defenCe but as a minute percentage of break ins involve firearms, I do not feel I need a firearm, maybe i could use a baseball bat or suchlike, but then i wouldn't be so 'gung ho'is that how you spell it, not a word i'm too familliar with because I would need to be close to my target. As for fearing the gun i'm very scared of it,and i've fired plenty,anyone who's not, is as they say in Mouse land, 'Mad in the heed'.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:51 AM   #44
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
Since what ban in the UK ? We havent brought a ban in, and as for 911 it would have no effect at all over here, we use 999. [img]smile.gif[/img] .And please dig up those statistics,and yet again peoople will produce counter statistics to prove you wrong,I have not given up my right of self defenCe but as a minute percentage of break ins involve firearms, I do not feel I need a firearm, maybe i could use a baseball bat or suchlike, but then i wouldn't be so 'gung ho'is that how you spell it, not a word i'm too familliar with because I would need to be close to my target. As for fearing the gun i'm very scared of it,and i've fired plenty,anyone who's not, is as they say in Mouse land, 'Mad in the heed'.
You are obfuscating and deliberatly missing his point (I just wanted to point it out to everyone).

I believe it was Epona that some time ago confirmed, that even though handguns are illegal in the UK they are not that hard to find nor are crimes perpetrated with said handguns rare.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:59 AM   #45
MagiK

Something no one else has talked about, Donuts link does not say the figures are wrong, false or untrue...it is just an article that debunks statistics as being relevant. The numbers are probably accurate, the people who wrote the rebutal are saying, that the numbers don't lie but the person who posted them is a liar. Because he didn't spell out all the other details about crime stats......This is still looking like gun related crimes are increasing at a faster rate now that before the gun ban was imposed......my research continues....

[ 01-16-2003, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 01-16-2003, 11:12 AM   #46
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Vasky, you better look up your stats again [img]smile.gif[/img] A while ago I posted statistics from the US CDC on the number and cause of deaths.

The Presses and publicly touted number of gun deaths are almost always exagerated by a factor of 10 (literally! press says 30,000 actual number was 3 - 4 thousand.). bathtubs and water kill far more americans than guns do, and the per capita firearm related death is only vastly higher than the UK's if you include gun suicide deaths in the statistic.

If I have time Ill post the CDC link again...the CDC is going to be the closest thing you can find in the USA to an unbiased source of numbers. They are primarily disease oriented but ended up with the task of tracking the cause of death in the US from all sources and causes.
[/QB]
I'll save you the time magik. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here's the link

I'll even quote the relevant paragraph:

"In 1999 a total of 28,874 persons died from firearm injuries in the United States, down nearly 6 percent from the 30,625 deaths in 1998."

[ 01-16-2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-16-2003, 11:21 AM   #47
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
You are obfuscating and deliberatly missing his point (I just wanted to point it out to everyone).

I believe it was Epona that some time ago confirmed, that even though handguns are illegal in the UK they are not that hard to find nor are crimes perpetrated with said handguns rare.
[/QUOTE]And you seem to be obfukiscatilig [img]smile.gif[/img] ... missing my point we have NOT introduced a ban, there's always been one,they are easy to come by,but not many housebreakings involve firearms,most gun crime in the UK is gang related and more often than not black on black.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:33 PM   #48
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

This letter is definitely logic I can agree with.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:42 PM   #49
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ok MagiK, can we get you to eat crow just for the hell of it? Maybe get some pics of it for Stealthys site too [img]tongue.gif[/img]