Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2003, 01:57 PM   #1
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

...is?

Got home from school today and was told i need to find information on this..thing...unlike everyone else in my class i wasnt told what it was called(missed the beginning of the lessons to see my 'mentor'). So until someone from my class comes online im stumped unless one of you guys knows...

And as the collective I.Q of IW-ers combined might be in 3 digits i think it will do a lot better than my 1 [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

Cheers,
J.W.K
Old 09-15-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

well, i dont have an answer...
but i suppose, the earliest measure would be when cave man thought ooo light, thats bright, or dark or whatnot and so measured on perception. same for sound.
If you meant measuring scientifically, like the speed of those, then i suppose it would be around early 1900s or some such when einstein figured stuff out.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:18 PM   #3
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Did you consider asking the teacher? Does your teacher give the students his/her phone number (some do)? If so, why not call and ask them or see if the teacher has any info online if your school has a webpage.
Sorry I can't be of more help
Old 09-15-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
SecretMaster
Apophis

Does your school have a website? IF so, your teachers email might be there. OUr school requires all teachers to have an a school email address, such as LMichael@YHS.org
Old 09-15-2003, 02:26 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Human eye and/or ear. By definition, the earliest human intruments for measuring and analysing light and sound. I can think of a couple of old gadgets for measuring various things to do with light and sound, but nothing that stands out as the oldest one. And even if there was, your teacher could be on about something else entirely.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:29 PM   #6
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

LMAO about the cave man theory [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] .

It's a new teacher for me and the school, so i doubt they will have her contact numbers on their website because it hasnt been updated in about a year.

I would try school but i know there not allowed to give out staff or pupils numbers or addresses.

I'm not the only person who is unsure of the thing, but I have an excuse...woo go me...

I think i'll just go and see her tomorrow ...or find someone to copy off...
Old 09-15-2003, 02:36 PM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

Wasn't the first try to measure the speed of light a totally ridiculous experiment? A guy with a lamp standing 50 meters away from another man who had a stop watch or something... Or perhaps my high school physics teacher was playing a joke on us. He always was...
Old 09-15-2003, 03:23 PM   #8
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I found this about the hilltop thing.

This precise measurement is the latest step in a long history of measurement, beginning in the early 1600s with an unsuccessful attempt by The Italian scientist Galileo to measure the speed of light. He attempted to do this, by measuring the time it took for light from a lantern to travel from one hilltop to another.

The website is http://www.mustsee.co.il/hebrew/yeda...ght/light.html

There is alot of good info here. Not sure what area are you looking into. Are you lookin gfor a machine that measured it or the math formual? What class is this for?

Granamere

[ 09-15-2003, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Old 09-15-2003, 11:54 PM   #9
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

You might also try this link about the Michelson-Morley experiments to measure the speed of light. The speed of light had already been calculated theoretically, but this ground-breaking experiment answered several questions and posed still several more.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.