Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

Okay, guys, I'm reading through the HoW strategy guide that came with my new IWD games from Amazon. In the first chapter or so, it says that if I start IWD with HoW installed and use NEW characters, it will be extremely difficult (if not downright impossible) to get through the game as HoW is designed for characters that have been through IWD once before. I'm not suicidal! Can you give me some input on your past experiences? I'm going to go ahead and roll up my characters tonight but I won't start actual game play (and install HoW) until later so get back to me quickly!

(You know I'm hooked now, because I'm missing a night of swing dancing for this!)

Cary
Old 09-17-2004, 07:47 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Better to have characters that have almost gone through the game. If you have an old save you can load that game, export your characters and load them into HoW, or you can just go to the locked house in Kuldahar that you could not enter before.

[ 09-17-2004, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:49 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Ok, don't panic.

Two possible explanations here.

1) The guide is referring to an "expansion only" game; an option that HoW gives in the opening menu, for players who are sick of the main game and just want to play the new areas. The expansion areas have a minimum level limitation - I think it's minimum average level of 8, or 9. So if the difficulty is structured for lvl 8 characters, the lvl 1 characters would obviously have a hard time. Further, the first fighting area (Burial Isle) of HoW is a notoriously difficult area for inexperienced players.

2) Second option: the guide is referring to HoF mode. It stands for Heart of Fury mode - a difficulty level (toggled on or off in the Configuration menu) that is miles above "Insane". It was designed for experienced characters who have been through the game already and gamers who want a challenge. Apparently it is beatable from scratch (Dundee Slaytern has done it, with a two-character party), but it requires much patience and reloading. Monsters have more than three times their normal HP, and Thac0 and AC to match. Stick with a relatively normal difficulty level until you and your characters are fully ready to ramp it up.

Go ahead and roll up your characters, Cary. You can install HoW at any point in the game.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

Oh ok. I was under the impression that it changed the entire game.

Thanks Aerich, you rock.

Cary
Old 09-27-2004, 12:30 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

In the first chapter or so, it says that if I start IWD with HoW installed and use NEW characters, it will be extremely difficult (if not downright impossible) to get through the game as HoW is designed for characters that have been through IWD once before.

Dancing Virginia,

Acckk!! I hope it doesn't really say that: Extremely misleading statement, at best. Your IWD characters, created with HoW (and, hopefully TotLM) installed, are still IWD characters in an IWD game, until you accept that offer in Kuldahar. Yes, IWD gameplay has been "rebalanced," by HoW; but I found it easier AND more interesting, certainly not discernably more difficult.

~

(minor late game spoilers ahead)

~
~
~
~
~
~

The HoW areas, though, can be extremely frustrating if your party is not well experienced and prepared; and I think this is what the quote above intended to convey. Your contact in Kuldahar will screen your party for ability to do HoW; but the minimum requirements will still allow a woefully underprepared party to continue on to its ruin.

I suggest doing everything you can in IWD, up to and including collecting and placing a set of 6 items needed to perform an action in Lower Dorn's Deep. Do not immediately perform the action that is allowed after the items are placed. Instead, search for that uber weapon for your Pally, finish up any open side quests (lots of expo!), and then go to Kuldahar and accept the invitation to go to HoW. When you return from HoW, you will be able to continue in IWD by returning to LDD and taking the action allowed by placing the six items.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote