Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

This is the year for me to decide on the path I will take that will effect the rest of my life, and my family's. I have two choices in my career, and I cannot make up my mind.

* I have been working on attending college to get certified to teach Spanish at the high school level, and have a major in psycology.

* I have been invited to join the help desk crew when a position opens, learning how to build a PC from the beginning, install the OS, and resolve any trouble that comes along with people's machines.

I cannot decide which one I should do.

[ 01-09-2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 01-09-2003, 01:56 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Can you do both?

As for the help desk, it's probably stuff you already know. I did that sorta stuff for a bunch of CAD Drafters I was managing at one point - and, ya' know, I'm not that computer-savvy compared to folks on this board. Make sure the CPU training you're getting is more than the normal installation and maintenance you likely already know. Plus, money is an issue as always.

Which brings me to the main question - what kind of help desk for what kind of company?

If you can do both (Night school or some other option), do it.

Luck! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
This is the year for me to decide on the path I will take that will effect the rest of my life, and my family's. I have two choices in my career, and I cannot make up my mind.

* I have been working on attending college to get certified to teach Spanish at the high school level, and have a major in psycology.

* I have been invited to join the help desk crew when a position opens, learning how to build a PC from the beginning, install the OS, and resolve any trouble that comes along with people's machines.

I cannot decide which one I should do.
Go with what your heart tells you Larry. If you don't, you'll regret it forever. Going back to College would be great, and in the long run, would pull a higher wage. Just my opinion.

[ 01-09-2003, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 01-09-2003, 02:00 PM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Well, Larry, as Gildor said to Frodo, advice is dangerous, and all courses may run ill, but I would think that it mainly depended on what you really want to. Do you love to teach? It doesn't pay well, but I have friends that love it and would consider doing nothing else. Or, would you rather tinker with PC's? Is there room for advancement? Is the company stable? How is the pay? Remember, a teacher can always find work, especially a Spanish teacher, these bilingual days. Just my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 02:02 PM   #5
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

IMHO, troble shooting PCs sounds kind of fun but it is not a high paid job. If I were you, I would go for the other job. After all, teaching foreign language sounds kind of fun plus you get to meet a whole lot of interesting people.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:07 PM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I'm a Computer Engineering student and I'd still say that troubleshooting basic PC problems is not very rewarding. You would do better going the teaching way I think, job satisfaction-wise at least. It will give you a lot more chances to learn and expand your mind and meet new people. So I'd go for the teaching one unless the other one is much better paid in which case it's a tough choice, or unless you really enjoy tinkering with PCs.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-09-2003, 02:11 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The help desk job is for a mortgage insurance company. Besides the basics of PC operation and maintenance, I would be learning how to work on other people's machines by phone or that method used where I can enter into another person's PC while they are across the country, to do maintenance that they are too stupid to figure out, but too costly to have it shipped to us to perform. I do not really believe in this companyt, however, even if I do like the people I work with. The mortgage ins. business to me is a boring job and I think the dumb president of the company allows his employees to waste too much money. Example: Instead of faxing a page over, we pay $5.83 to mail it Overnight air. People in this business has no mind for saving money when it's not their own to spend, and I do not like it. However, to get the education of PC maintenance...I might be willing to try. Still, I have not fully been sold to the idea.

The teaching position would require schooling and that is in Greensboro...a 40 minute drive. I would have to quit my job to go there, making my wife go to work, and finding a sitter for the baby. (Or maybe daycare). She does not want to work, feeling it her responsibility first to raise MaryBeth,,,but will do what is needed to get me through school.

I think it would be more rewarding to teach...though any students that did not want to learn would bring me down.

[ 01-09-2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 01-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, to chime in again, I'll agree with those who noted advice is dangerous - then I'll give some advice --

In this economy, jobs are not easy to come by.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:45 PM   #9
realbinky
Elminster

Well, being able to teach is a gift. Being able to work on PCs is a geek. I am the latter. You will have other teaching gigs available. How about English as a second language to mostly hispanic classes? That is a popular thing here is Boston. There is a large hispanic population, and the ones who take this class REALLY want to learn, so its rewarding. And don't worry about your daughter and day care: my daughter was in daycare for 3 years, and is very social, outgoing and not shy. My son has always had mom home, who now runs a daycare (there is an idea for the wife) but he is shy and a "momma's boy." I have to actively help him with that, but she is a social dynamo - and no, I don't think it is just boy vs girl. Sounds like you want the teaching gig, but are worried about the intermediate issues, don't, they will sort, and the family will be better off with a dad/husband happy with his choice.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:43 PM   #10
MagiK

Larry, I have no advice to give, but I will say, that it is rare, that any one decision will irrevocably determine the rest of your life, unless you allow it to. Good luck in your decision and let us know what you decide.

[ 01-09-2003, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]