Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2002, 11:49 PM   #1
Moni

One Word: Awesome

Best of Luck to All Participants in the Games!

Old 02-08-2002, 11:57 PM   #2
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
LOL Moni, go back to the main GD board.

Hmm.. one of them is going to have to be deleted..
Old 02-09-2002, 12:05 AM   #3
Moni

LOL no, they can both stay...you marked a memorable moment...I marked a memorable ceremony.

My favorite part was the Native American tribes of Utah coming together...I actually understood one of the words in one of the blessings LOL "Aho" (it is a good day) and it is the origin of the American slang "OK" after having been misused by pioneer Irish Indian fighters after hearing the Indians shout "Aho ka hay" as they went into battle...that means "it is a good day to die"

Great ceremonial show...the drums, the dances, the Golden Eagle.
Had I been wearing my moccasins insterad of my tennies I would have proibably joined in.

Old 02-09-2002, 12:09 AM   #4
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Yeah it was pretty cool. I liked the opening thing. The Fire With In. That was cool. Those big Ice Sickle things kina scared me though,hehehe.

Did you see Bush's expression when Iran came through? Hehe I found that amusing.

I have a question though, why is English and French the two offical languages? Neither one are the most populas, English comes close but I dont think its 1st.

It was very entertaining
Old 02-09-2002, 12:25 AM   #5
Moni

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
Yeah it was pretty cool. I liked the opening thing. The Fire With In. That was cool. Those big Ice Sickle things kina scared me though,hehehe.

Did you see Bush's expression when Iran came through? Hehe I found that amusing.

I have a question though, why is English and French the two offical languages? Neither one are the most populas, English comes close but I dont think its 1st.

It was very entertaining

Yeah those big ice cicles were pretty scary!

(Bush was thinking "I wonder which one is the evilist?")

Good question...I was thinking that was because the games are being played in America, English being our native language and French being that of our Northern neighbor Canada, (a common ritual to use those two languages in Northern American cities for international events), but now you have me wondering...didn't they make announcements in Japenese in Nagano?!

Old 02-09-2002, 07:43 AM   #6
Davros
Takhisis Follower

quote:
Originally posted by Moni:

Yeah those big ice cicles were pretty scary!

(Bush was thinking "I wonder which one is the evilist?")

Good question...I was thinking that was because the games are being played in America, English being our native language and French being that of our Northern neighbor Canada, (a common ritual to use those two languages in Northern American cities for international events), but now you have me wondering...didn't they make announcements in Japenese in Nagano?!

Hi Princess - I think you will find that Olympic announcements are made in two languages - typically native tongue and English. When native tongue is English then the alternative is French. This is somthing customary to the modern Olympic movement (has nothing to do with your northern neighbours ), and is probably a sign of respect to the French baron that is credited with the getting the modern olympic movement off the ground - Pierre Le Coubertain (pardon my French - I don't think that name's spelt exactly right).

Sydney Olympics had all announcements in English and French - expect the same at Salt Lake City.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Davros ]

Old 02-09-2002, 10:30 AM   #7
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I thought it was an EXCELLENT idea for using the hockey team as the last torch-bearer [img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2002, 12:06 PM   #8
Moni

quote:
Originally posted by Davros:

Hi Princess - I think you will find that Olympic announcements are made in two languages - typically native tongue and English. When native tongue is English then the alternative is French. This is somthing customary to the modern Olympic movement (has nothing to do with your northern neighbours ), and is probably a sign of respect to the French baron that is credited with the getting the modern olympic movement off the ground - Pierre Le Coubertain (pardon my French - I don't think that name's spelt exactly right).

Sydney Olympics had all announcements in English and French - expect the same at Salt Lake City.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Davros ]

[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Hello Davros! Thank you for the 411! I knew there was more to it than what I had presumed in my post and now that I've read your post, I remember it being said during the airing of the Sydney opening ceremonies. Me and my memory...LOL well as far back as we go, there are a lot of details missing.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 02-09-2002, 12:13 PM   #9
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
LOL no, they can both stay...you marked a memorable moment...I marked a memorable ceremony.

My favorite part was the Native American tribes of Utah coming together...I actually understood one of the words in one of the blessings LOL "Aho" (it is a good day) and it is the origin of the American slang "OK" after having been misused by pioneer Irish Indian fighters after hearing the Indians shout "Aho ka hay" as they went into battle...that means "it is a good day to die"

Moni, no desire to quibble, but that expression, "okay," dates back to 1841, when a Pennsylvania newspaper coined it as an abbreviation of "Orl Korrect," a catchprase of the time. See Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary."
Old 02-09-2002, 03:00 PM   #10
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Sorry to disagree he folks but I thought the ceremony was lame. Just a waste of my time to watch really. No disrespect intended if you into that sort of thing, but personally I thought it was boring as heck.