Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2000, 10:32 PM   #1
Bishop
Welcomed New User

Anyone know a few tips for BGII to run smoother, it is terribly choppy on my computer. I have an AMD Duron 700 w/ 128 Meg of RAM. I have a 3D Prophet II MX video card and a SoundBlaster Live. Right now I have the three bars in the configure area all the way at the top, but I have played with them at all settings, with no added smoothness. I would think I have enough computer to run this game at its full potential but it isn't smooth or fluid at all, especially during a fight, but not limited to a fight. I can just have my 5 characters selected together and when I tell them to walk somewhere the game hesitates.

I have done a Full instillation of the game and I have the Official Patch installed as of two days ago. Any thoughts?

-Bishop
Old 12-05-2000, 10:46 PM   #2
Conan

I had the same problem. Originally I was running it on a pIII 550 with a gforce 256 and the sblive on a 8 gig hd Had horrible chop. I built a new pc with a 900 Athalon thunderbird same sound and graphics card. Same problem. Last week I got a 20 gig hd Ultra ata 100. Now it runs smooth as hell. Ive gotten into huge battles without a bit of slow down. I dont know why the hard drive would affect it but the problem was fixed with the new hard drive. Try running it without the 3d acceleration. Also hit the ctrl alt del and close out any programs that may be running. Leave explorer and systray.

Old 12-05-2000, 11:03 PM   #3
antaren420

my friend is running an athalon 900 mhz, with an ATA 100 20gb hd, and 256 mb of 133 RAM, GForce2 32mb vidio, and his motherboard is set to 133mhz, and the game runs fine and fluid at times, and choppy as hell at other times.

my computer is a 500mhz K6-2, 100mhz motherboard, 160mb of 100mhz SDRAM, voodoo3 and an ATA33 8gb hard drive.

the game loads faster on his machine, but other then that the game runs just as fluidly or choppy on both of our machines. this is an in game problem, and does not have much to do with your vidio card or processor, even though there are definate differances at times

Old 12-05-2000, 11:07 PM   #4
Bishop
Welcomed New User

As it turns out, I have TWO ata100 harddrives in a RAID configuration (ABIT KT7-RAID). So that might not be it. Thanks for the input though.

-Bishop
Old 12-05-2000, 11:30 PM   #5
Blademaster

I play on a P3-450 with 128 MB ram and I feel fine. I do find that disabling enhance path finding and reduce the number of nodes to around 30000 helps a bit.

Old 12-05-2000, 11:32 PM   #6
Conan

I listen to the stereo while I play so Ive got the music and ambient sound off. Ive heard that can improve performance.

Old 12-05-2000, 11:38 PM   #7
Morninglord

A large hard-drive does help only because the amount of un-used space most probably are larger.
No hard-drive should ever be filled to more than 95% of its full capacity. Having it around 85% or less, gives you maximal performance in hard-drive speed.

Or one thing you could try, Bishop, is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL 3-4 times in a row, quite fast, in the main menu in Baldurs Gate 2.

/Morninglord of Sweden

Old 12-06-2000, 03:39 AM   #8
Merc Widowmaker

I'd try with no 3D and a full install!! I tesed sevral 3D cards and found the game ran smoother with no 3D for all of them. There is hardly any 3D in the game anyway

Old 12-06-2000, 03:52 AM   #9
Mr. Underhill
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello,
I'm running my machine with a P3 733, 128 RDram, Geforce 32mb 256 video, Soundblaster live, and I run the game to it's full potential. It was a bit choppy during battle so I felt it was time for some tweaking. If your machine is comparable to mine, download the newest drivers for your components, get directx 8, download a program called. Tweak-Up 2.5 it's a whole bunch of registry edits, pay attention to the read-me file you don't wanna screw up your registry , and also go to the baldur.ini file and bump the frame rate up past 60 (you can't do that in the configuration program), I run at 90 fps, and it's smooooth! Hope this helps
Remember be careful with the registry edits, pay attention and take head of the read-me file, Back Up your registry before you mess with it.
Old 12-06-2000, 03:57 AM   #10
BaatoRyan

Goddamn it!!! You all have super powerful PCs!!! Jesus... Im so jealous...
(Wipes tears off eyes)