Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2001, 07:33 AM   #21
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Ziroc, I am not sure how long the Leonid shower will last, but I'm sure that it will last for several days at least. The Pleides lasted for more than a month, but only the 'peak' was announced. The Leonids should be the same way. The 'peak' was our Sunday morning. Try looking at around 4:00 - 6:00am one morning - there should still be some to see for another week or so.
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:50 PM   #22
SecretMaster
Apophis

Sorry Ziroc, i think u missed it. It was great, glad you guys saw a fireball, very rare as I said earlier. Like I said, regular astronomers only see 1 a year generaly, so we were very lucky. I'm a big fan of astronemy, and just started reading about it. As said earlier also, this is very rare for people like me in the U.S., but down south, you see everything. Glad to see my first meteor shower. How many of you enjoy astronomy like me? Just curious.
Old 11-19-2001, 07:09 PM   #23
Debaser

i caught the meteor shower out here in VA. we went to the peak of Reddish Knob (this mountain here in harrisonburg) and watched it from 12 to about 3:30...
from what i heard, the peak of the shower was closer to dawn, but i still saw an eyeful of really excellent stuff...really bright meteors with trails that lasted for a good 4 seconds or so. very impressive stuff, and i am a huge fan of astronomy and space, so it was simply awesome to behold.
Old 11-19-2001, 07:13 PM   #24
Barloc
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
American Meteor Society

Scroll down to schedules (predictions) for all the major showers and which areas artound the world will be able to best view them \

Month By Month Schedule for 200-2001 (Not an AMS page)

thanks a loooooot! [img]graemlins/yippee.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2001, 09:14 PM   #25
SecretMaster
Apophis

Debaser, you and me have a lot in common, and I live on a mountain/hill so i got a great view. Thanks guys for the websites, will check them out!
Old 11-19-2001, 10:57 PM   #26
Moni

Wow look at my typos! Was I tired or what?!

SecretMaster,
Yeah, I know the rarity of getting to see an actual fireball!
In 1998, when the Leonids were so visible in Tucson, the fireball I saw went, it seemed, straight over the length of my (five car long) driveway!
Talking to friends the next day (who were watching for hours from the Mt Lemmon Foothills), they said that the biggest one they saw was over my part of the neighborhood...at the same time. I feel really lucky to have seen it because all the others, as cool as they were, just could not compare.

Barloc & Secret Master,
You're welcome for the links!

Most unfortunately, where I live in Texas is void of mountains or even good hills LOL. We have overcast skies and rain anyway though so I'll just feel good about the rest of you seeing them this time around.