Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2002, 12:22 AM   #11
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Alright, here is what I did. Firstly, I lowered the difficulty level from Core Rules to Easy; if I want to get any farther than chapter 1, this is the only way. I've also reduced my party by 2 members.

My party:

Ingha
Drow
Monk of the Dark Moon
Lawful Evil
Major skills: Concentration, Hide, and Move Silently
Major feats: Blind-fight, Dash, Discipline, Dodge, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Strong Back
Relation: No relation to Aevyk and Uldwar, a completely different house, he is sort of an envoy of the Drow, leader

Aevyk
Drow
Demarch of Mask
Neutral Evil
Major skills: Concentration and Spellcraft
Minor skills: Hide and Move Silently
Major Feats: Combat Casting, Courteous Magocracy, Discipline, Extra Turning x3, Heretic's Bane, Improved Turning, Spell Penetration x2
Relation: She is the sister of Uldwar, relatively good fighter, she is usually the one to demand payment, also had a cool convo with the weeping woman..
Spell repertoire: Minor Healing x2, Bane, Moderate Healing, Hold Person
Bonus spells: Sleep and Blur

Uldwar
Drow
Evoker
Lawful Evil
Major skills: Alchemy, Concentration, Knowledge (Arcana), and Spellcraft
Major feats: Aegis of Rime, Aqua Mortis, Combat Casting, Scion of Storms, Spell Focus Evocation x2, Spell Penetration x2, Subvocal Casting
Relation: Brother of Aevyk, base arcane magic, intense evocation spells
Spell repertoire: Aganazzar's Scorcher x3, Burning Hands x2, Ice Dagger, Magic Missle, Chill Touch

Before you say anything, don't go lecturing me on the x2 level penalty, because I'm aware of that. So far, I have been extremely successful, also considering this is easy now..
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:52 AM   #12
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Manshoon

well my cents:

my party:
Eowen, lawful evil, thiefling, figher(4 levels thief) (spokesman)
Gothmog, neural good, half orc barbarian
Dain II Ironfoot, lawful neutral, fighter dswarf
Meriadoc Brandybuck, chaotic good, ghostwise rogue
Galadriel, chaotic good, human battleguard
Gandalf the Grey, lawful good, human wizard

and even i die uncountable times ...

1st
only one fighter - that can be troublesome ...
u maybe don't lack on offensive powers - u lack on tanks (hp)

u will meet opponents dealing massive damage

2nd
use magical device is far less powerful than in neverwinter it looks like that it only helps using wands ...

3rd the extra turning feats arn't that useable u don't meet real undead hordes ...
Old 10-09-2002, 11:41 AM   #13
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Well, I found extra turning was real handy in Kuldahar, and even in the Fell Woods. Improved Turning, however, I consider a waste; the extra two hit dice is worth very little.

And I'm puzzled why Nanobyte wants those short parties first time through. But to each his or her own.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 04:04 PM   #14
Nanobyte

It's just a thing I have for 6-person parties, can't really stand em. I'll take 5, but 6 is too many. Besides, I've lowered the difficulty from Core Rules to Easy, so I should manage my way through the game with ease. Besides, someone, Ishanda I think, said they made it through with just a monk. Don't worry, be happy
Old 10-09-2002, 04:10 PM   #15
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Mmmm...well, when I looked at the "easy" setting, it said combat was normal, but wizards would automatically write spells to their books without needing a spellcraft check. Possibly you want "very easy", where monsters do half damage.

Anyway, good luck with whatever group you end up using.

Nightowl2
Old 10-09-2002, 11:28 PM   #16
Nanobyte

Ok, Ok. I went to Sorcerer's Place and checked on the quest list, and I've decided that evil is not the way I want to go. So now I REALLY need some input.

This is the sketch of my party
Will improve as I decide on specifics
Again, no particular order:

[img]graemlins/starhappy.gif[/img]
Female
Aasimar
Silverstar of Selune
Neutral Good
Major skills: Concentration and Spellcraft
Minor skills: Diplomacy
Major feats: Combat Casting, Courteous Magocracy, Discipline, Exotic Weapon Bastard Sword x2, Expertise, Extra Turning x2, Heretic's Bane, Spell Penetration x2
Final stats: 13(+1) STR, 14(+2) DEX, 15(+2) CON, 12(+1) INT, 1+4) WIS, 14(+2) CHA

[img]graemlins/shooter04.gif[/img]
Male
Strongheart Halfling
Fighter
Lawful Neutral
Major skills: Search
Minor skills: Concentration x4
Major feats: Cleave x2, Martial Weapon Large Sword x2, Maximized Attack, Power Attack, Simple Weapon Short Blade x2, Strong Back, Stunning Attack, Weapon Finesse
Final stats: 16(+3) STR, 17(+3) DEX, 15(+2) CON, 12(+1) INT, 13(+1) WIS, 10(0) CHA

[img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]
Female
Human
Rogue
Chaotic Good
Major skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Open Lock, Pick Pocket, Search and Use Magic Device
Major feats: Arterial Strike, Blind-Fight, Crippling Strike, Dirty Fighting, Dodge, Hamstring, Improved Evasion, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Luck of Heroes, Mercantile Background, Slippery Mind
Final stats: 13(+1) STR, 1+4) DEX, 14(+1) CON, 15(+2) INT, 10(0) WIS, 13(+1) CHA

[img]graemlins/angelwings.gif[/img]
Male
Gold Dwarf
Paladin of Helm
Lawful Good
Major skills: Diplomacy
Minor skills: Concentration and Spellcraft
Major feats: Discipline, Extra Smiting x2, Great Fortitude, Heretic's Bane, Heroic Inspiration, Iron Will, Martial Weapon Axe, Weapon Finesse
Final stats: 14(+2) STR, 12(+1) DEX, 15(+2) CON, 10(0) INT, 15(+2) WIS, 17(+3) CHA

[img]graemlins/kittynow.gif[/img]
Female
Wild Elf
Druid
True Neutral
Major skills: Animal Empathy, Spellcraft and Wilderness Lore
Minor skills: Concentration
Major feats: Combat Casting, Dash, Extra Wild Shape x2, Forester, Lightning Reflexes, Spell Focus Transmutation x2, Wild Shape Boring Beetle, Wild Shape Panther, Wild Shape Shambling Mound
Final stats: 13(+1) STR, 16(+3) DEX, 17(+3) CON, 11(0) INT, 1+4) WIS, -1) CHA

[img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]
Male
Drow (Only)
Evoker
Lawful Evil
Major skills: Alchemy, Concentration, Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft
Minor skills: Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate
Major feats: Aegis of Rime, Aqua Mortis, Combat Casting, Scion of Storms, Spell Focus Evocation x2, Spell Penetration x2, Subvocal Casting
Final Stats: 12(+1) STR, 16(+3) DEX, 15(+2) CON, 1+4) INT, 17(+3) WIS, -1) CHA

[ 10-13-2002, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: Nanobyte ]
Old 10-10-2002, 12:05 PM   #17
Nightowl2
Galvatron

That setup looks pretty good. Why not give it a try? Do keep in mind that your Evoker won't be able to learn any of the Powerword spells, as they all belong to the Conjuration school. Monster Summoning is out, too, as well as all the charm-related spells.

Nightowl2
Old 10-10-2002, 07:21 PM   #18
Nanobyte

Conjuration is a big thing with druids. Besides, some of the best spells are evocation spells (i.e. fireball, melf's minute meteors) Also, any school can learn the Symbol spells, and if I'm not mistaken those are better than the Powerword spells.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:25 PM   #19
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Spike:
Well ive found that what feels balanced for 1 person may not be for another, just try it till you find what you like quit relying on other people to critic what you feel like doing!!!
I've never played any of the Icewind Dale games, so I'm new this uber combat-type game; I've played all of the BG series, so I have a tendency to create parties based on the RP factor alone. I am asking for criticism because I have been UNSUCCESSFUL with ALL of my previous parties. Besides, there is nothing wrong with asking for help, that is what this forum is here for.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:31 PM   #20
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

Considering that most of your parties fail, maybe you should consider changing tactics?