Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2001, 11:07 PM   #1
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I intend to play a Sorcerer next time I play. Anyone have any opinions about Sorcerers?
F.
Old 03-12-2001, 11:15 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

The potential problem is that they cannot learn spell from scroll, so be careful when you select spells into your spell book.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-12-2001, 11:45 PM   #3
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, that is it's main weakness. Other than that, the sorceror is great, but as Accord said, you need to choose spells carefully.
Old 03-13-2001, 12:16 AM   #4
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

I've tried a sorcerer and it's not a class I like personaly. The way spells work is partical in the sence you take only the spells you think will use the most and cast them from a memorised pool depending on your level. It's very remesent of the Dark Sun games wich honestly not so diferrent from bg1 save for the graphics. When you gain a lv you get to chose spells (personaly I prefer a mage). In Dark sun you had Psychonics and it would have been kinda fun to have it implenmented in Bg.
Old 03-13-2001, 02:49 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by el_kalkylus:
Yes, that is it's main weakness. Other than that, the sorceror is great, but as Accord said, you need to choose spells carefully.
I agree. The Sorcorer can be way more flexiable than the mage due to the negation of the necessity to learn say six magic missiles, and then have to rest to identify an item.

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-13-2001, 06:34 AM   #6
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Plus you get 6 casts of any of 3 level 9 spells under the EXP cap..I think..
I dont remember but he can cast a lot more than a mage, he literally doubles or triples your spell casting firepower and versatility in any situation, and you dont have to slow down your party by having to rest just to change your spell combination. He's even better with contingencies..

------------------
Why?
Old 03-13-2001, 08:14 AM   #7
Charean
Hathor

I did a sorcerer last time I went through - he totally stomps! Besides the amount of spells are greater, he is a little quicker on the draw. If you take off the experience caps, well, he and Irenicus could go toe to toe!

Up to you, but do be careful about picking spells. Always think about what you may need in the next chapter. You should be fairly pleased with him.

------------------
There are no right answers - only answers that won't bite you back.
Old 03-13-2001, 10:50 AM   #8
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Also, remember that just because a Sorcerer can't LEARN new spells doesn't mean he cant USE them.

Any scroll you find can be placed in the quick item slot and cast from there. I found this very useful for spells that I didn't plan using very often (find familiar comes to mind. I never bother memorizing that spell).

Also keep in mind that the spell progression is slower than that of a mage.

All in all, I really enjoyed playing a sorcerer. For those interested readers, I would not recommend playing one the first time through. It takes a lot of knowledge of the game to know what spells you will be the most useful and which ones are a waste.

------------------
"The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive." Job: A Comedy of Justice
Old 03-13-2001, 05:39 PM   #9
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Thanks for the advice, everyone, it has been very helpful.... Also, I am still playing first game - only got to Underdark - and already have a pretty good idea which spells are hardly worth the bother. One of the main problems with Aerie and Imoen is their Wisdom levels, and the fact that you cannot delete useless spells from the book and write in better ones! I shall take care which ones I let 'em write in next time round!

By the way, are there any Tomes to up attribute levels like there are in BG1? Haven't found any so far....
F.
Old 03-13-2001, 05:46 PM   #10
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

No tomes in BG2. I think you can cheat/create them, but not all of them work correctly. Your best bet to change stats is to download Shadowkeeper (a program that lets you edit characters, their inventories, and their attributes).

------------------
"The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive." Job: A Comedy of Justice