Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: which girl name do you like best?
Ember Anne 18 36.73%
Kimber Leah (pronounced "lee") 31 63.27%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2003, 04:21 PM   #21
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Maybe it's worth considering to go for a completely different third name, if you cannot agree on names 1 and 2. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sorry if this is not what you want to hear RevRuby but I agree with Melusine. Is this the best start for the child, to argue about her name? [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-08-2003, 05:03 PM   #22
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Question Mark

well i for one have a unique spelling for my name. do you have any idea how many ppl don't know there is a corpus christi tx? which is my only reference to tell ppl how to spell my name. it is a source of pride for me, i love having a unique spelling to my name! i love complaining to ppl about how they spell it!

i like kimber and i like the name kimber leigh, or kimber leah (lee-ah) i like hte uniqueness. heck erilyn is a name i got from a book, and justice is usually a boys name (justis) beyond the fact lots of strangers asking her name thought i was nuts for dressing "justin" (which is how they chose to hear it) in pink.

anyway i just really like ember anne so much better, but nathan really feels he has every right to name this child as he wishes since i named erilyn and justice. i just wish he would spell it leigh, or lee or actually pronounce leah correctly.

and i have never hear kimber as a nick name. i know lots of kim's and kimmy's tho.

btw we are in pennsylvania.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:08 PM   #23
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
but a name that you love may come to be one she hates because all her little friends Kate and Sarah and Lucy never have to worry about people misspelling or making fun of their names.
Bad example - Sarah *is* my name and people often spell it without an 'h' on the end. But when I tried saying "Sarah with an h", lots of people actually managed to put that down as "Sahra" or similar nonsense, LOL!
But I get your point and I agree with it
[/QUOTE]LOL - you're right . Actually I had trouble thinking of names that *no one* would get wrong - must just be a lot of dumb people around . You wouldn't think Melanie would be such a difficult name to spell, but apparently it is . I would pronounce Sara like Tara though, not like Sarah .

At least Kimber (if there were no Leigh) is a reasonably straightforward spelling. I really dislike the current trend of taking a common name and giving it a new spelling - like Emma-Emmah, Rebecca-Rebekkah, Jessica-Jessykah, Taylor-Tailah (I have actually seen all of these ). Poor kiddies! As if anyone hearing their name would be 'ah yes, that would be Penelope with a double L and Y...'

I like Ember Anne much better anyway - it's a far prettier and feminine name.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:16 PM   #24
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Well, I know a Sara and a Tara, and they both pronounce their names the same way... rhyming with Sarah. No "Sah-rah" here [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kimber as a first name does make me think of Timber, who hasn't put in his voice into this IIRC... smart man. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Ultimately, you and Nathan have to decide, and she has to live with it. Just remember... some years down the road, she'll be picking out your nursing home [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:49 PM   #25
Gammit
Elminster

I actually don't care for either of the offered names, but voted to help anyway!
Old 11-09-2003, 07:16 AM   #26
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Well, I know a Sara and a Tara, and they both pronounce their names the same way... rhyming with Sarah. No "Sah-rah" here [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yep - in Dutch, Sara and Sarah are pronounced identically too. Don't know what the difference is supposed to be in English, but I always thought it was the same name, really, just spelled differently.
As for Tara, that rhymes with Sarah here as well, since my best friend wanted to name her cat after me, but not by the exact same name since she thought I wouldn't like that. So now it's called Tara.

Anyway, I'd really give the third name option a chance, RevRuby and Morgeruat - maybe there is one that you won't disagree on at all. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2003, 09:55 PM   #27
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Gammit:
I actually don't care for either of the offered names, but voted to help anyway!
ty gammit!

i don't think i can convince nathan into a third different name. i tried my best with researching names i really likes and gave him ahuge list of them, but he has been so determined. perhaps he will change his mind when he sees her.

i know quite a few ppl who refuse to even think of names til they see the baby.