Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2003, 03:59 PM   #1
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

Read this, and post what you think...

The more technology influences our lives, the less room there will be for human emotions.

Agree/Disagree

This is actually a question from my english class, I was wondering what you're opinions were.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:09 PM   #2
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Did the caveman have more emotion than us? Have you seen how emotional people become when their computer will not turn on? I do not see this changing anytime soon.

Granamere
Old 09-03-2003, 04:10 PM   #3
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

What exactly do yo mean by this: does technology consume our time to such a degree that we simply don't have the time to be emotional about something? Or is that technology makes our lives so much easier that we relax more? Less room for emotions because technology influences our lives... I disagree with your statement until you ellaborate about what you really mean by that statement. Human emotions will make room if there is none. We are emotional beings. Or do you mean that technology doesn't allow us to express our emotions as we used to? Weird english class you have...
Old 09-03-2003, 04:13 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.

Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?
Old 09-03-2003, 04:34 PM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.

Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?
And now for your OWN opinion, Xen!

I agree to a certain extent. Emotion is something genuine to humans, but technology (in whatever way) takes away tasks that humans did before, taking away their lives if I may say it that way. Emotion, being part of human life, is taken away as well IMHO.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 09-03-2003, 06:40 PM   #6
GForce

yes an interesting topic question but very vague or very general. I guess it depends on everyones perception of the question. If the question refers to humans being ever more distanced from each other as we watch TV or play video games or do activities that does not involve human relationships, then the answer may be yes.

Old 09-03-2003, 06:47 PM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I would disagree, technology doesn't influence our emotions or outlooks on life, it just helps make it easier. People still enjoy themselves talking on a voice chat or typing to a good friend on the computer as they normally would.

The advancement doesn't cut down on emotion, every man, woman, and child is born with it and it's not something that is taken away so easily.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Good question.
Maybe we'll get so into technology we don't have tme for anyone. Or, we may get so deep in technology that we start to experience people like machines and computers without emotions, as we ourselves stop having them. The "Kill the shopkeeper, you don't need him, and you'll get good xp for a high-level enemy like him!" attitude may get us.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:49 PM   #9
Zero Alpha

Imagine a future in witch we are all cyborgs. There is no disease, hunger, or problems with the world. We also have the complete ability to take control and 'program' our brains. would you choose to suppress your emotions for clearer thinking? or maby you'd like to expirence emotions completely unimaginable to us humans now, fanstastic and strong to weak and previously unnoticed. or even create some new ones.

in the planets current state i think people that use computers alot do tend to show their emotions less when the computers work. but if youve *ever* tried to fix a broken computer you'll know just how intense 'frustration' can be .
Old 09-03-2003, 09:19 PM   #10
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by GForce:
yes an interesting topic question but very vague or very general. I guess it depends on everyones perception of the question. If the question refers to humans being ever more distanced from each other as we watch TV or play video games or do activities that does not involve human relationships, then the answer may be yes.
As for "what does the question mean" or what a clearer question is, GForce pretty much got it. It goes to the eye of the beholder and how you perceive it.