Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2003, 09:12 PM   #11
Lavindathar
Harper

This made front page of every paper a month or two ago.

Our country just laughs at yours half the time, and you just give us more ammo to do it.

To be honest, it is appaling that young people do not know this. Americans are so concerned with teaching "the history of America and how great is is", singing the national anthem in class and playing baseball that they forget to tell the kids there is a land OUTSIDE america.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:23 PM   #12
SecretMaster
Apophis

Yes, I've read this many times. In fact, I've heard 10% of american kids can't even find the U.S. itself. We are so stupid.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:03 AM   #13
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
Yes, I've read this many times. In fact, I've heard 10% of american kids can't even find the U.S. itself. We are so stupid.
I think that was also already mentioned in this thread...
But didn't someone find some sort of online test during the last time this subject came up (Ronn perhaps)? But luckily, most of the IW Americans had no trouble finding certain well known countries on the world map. So at least the well-educated part finds its way here. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2003, 06:32 AM   #14
Masklinn

I don't think they're "stupid" for failing this test. It's just a lack of education or a lack of interest.
These kind of things (especially geography) :
1 - either you learn them and you know them,
2 - either you don't learn them and then, well, only some interest into it can make you go learn them,
3 - or you do learn them but then you forget cause you dont care at all.

So what solution apply to americans ?
I'd say number 3, cause I refuse to think that a so powerful country, willing to "rule" the world (or at least willing to make its voice louder), don't even teach that to its children.

And about the 11% that can't even locate their own country...Well...I can't think of any good reason...*shrug*
Old 01-30-2003, 06:54 AM   #15
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn The Wise:
Jeez, no wonder we are called "stupid americans" lol
AMEN! joking...
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 01-30-2003, 06:56 AM   #16
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
I think that was also already mentioned in this thread...
But didn't someone find some sort of online test during the last time this subject came up (Ronn perhaps)? But luckily, most of the IW Americans had no trouble finding certain well known countries on the world map. So at least the well-educated part finds its way here. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]It was an online international geography test that was given to an international group and Americans came in last place. It was amazing how poorly Americans did because it just wasn't that hard.

I didn't post it, but after having my wife and son take it, I bought a globe to give geography lessons with at home.

EDIT - Thanks for the link, this will be great to talk about on the show this morning. Now I can prove to the boss checking IW in the morning isn't "stealing" her time...lol. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 01-30-2003, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 01-30-2003, 07:08 AM   #17
Sir_Tainly

On a slightly different note, I always find it interesting that US and British world maps are different..each putting their own country in the middle of the map. Wonder if the layout of maps helps people..for example on a US map map the far east is on the western edge of the map..confusing

Old 01-30-2003, 07:37 AM   #18
Moiraine
Anubis

Yes, the thing that amazed me most was that there are people who can't locate on a map their OWN country !

And the French are said to be bad in geography, blah !
Old 01-31-2003, 11:54 PM   #19
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
This made front page of every paper a month or two ago.

Our country just laughs at yours half the time, and you just give us more ammo to do it.

To be honest, it is appaling that young people do not know this. Americans are so concerned with teaching "the history of America and how great is is", singing the national anthem in class and playing baseball that they forget to tell the kids there is a land OUTSIDE america.
Wouldn't be half as bad if what you said was true, Lav. Reality is, they're teaching "the founders were EEVIL white guys who owned slaves" and other such rubbish. This is why more and more parents are pulling their children out of public (government-run) schools.