Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2003, 10:32 AM   #1
Masklinn

Before you click this link I'd like to tell you that it was not posted here to start some kind of flame, nor to make fun. I'd like just to understand better.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/11...uiz/index.html

I found that really amazing.
And now I'm wondering : How can it be ? Maybe some of you could explain me what is wrong in the american education system because I'm a bit clueless about that.

(edited to fix the link)

[ 01-29-2003, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Masklinn ]
Old 01-29-2003, 10:36 AM   #2
Aragorn The Wise
Manshoon

I've read about this survey a while back and still don't understand how people don't know where Iraq is... I just don't understand that. I am going to be 18 soon and I know that more than 90% of my student body (I hope lol) could point out places like Iraw, Italy, and California. Maybe they only tested high school drop outs [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
Masklinn

The companies in charge of these kind of survey usually pick a panel of representative people, not just one type, else it would be fake. You and your friends are hopefully in the 17% that can find Iraq [img]smile.gif[/img]

The most amazing result is still this one : "Only 89 percent of the Americans surveyed could find their own country on the map."
11% can't find their own country ?!? I mean....USA is big, how can you miss it on a map ?!
Old 01-29-2003, 10:51 AM   #4
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
The most amazing result is still this one : "Only 89 percent of the Americans surveyed could find their own country on the map."
11% can't find their own country ?!? I mean....USA is big, how can you miss it on a map ?![/QB]
The same way 29% of them could not find the Pacific Ocean, the largest body of water on the planet, *sigh*.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:52 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Two things here:

1. The representative group surely includes some dropouts or poor students;
2. Americans are traditionally insular, and this test tests ONLY information about the outside world for the most part. Well, that doesn't explain the inability to locate NJ, but you get the point.

Finally, if you want to see the true glimmer of intelligence in the American youth, thest them on the important things that they care about: what the Burberry desing looks like, who was on TRL this week, and the meaning of the term "bling-bling"
Old 01-29-2003, 10:53 AM   #6
Aragorn The Wise
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
The companies in charge of these kind of survey usually pick a panel of representative people, not just one type, else it would be fake. You and your friends are hopefully in the 17% that can find Iraq [img]smile.gif[/img]

11% can't find their own country ?!? I mean....USA is big, how can you miss it on a map ?!
That one I have yet to explain. It's such a distinct form of a country. I can understand mixing up Iran with Iraq. That's a common mistake. But, not being able to find your OWN country on a map. Jeez, no wonder we are called "stupid americans" lol
Old 01-29-2003, 11:09 AM   #7
Aragorn The Wise
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Two things here:

2. Americans are traditionally insular, and this test tests ONLY information about the outside world for the most part. Well, that doesn't explain the inability to locate NJ, but you get the point.

Finally, if you want to see the true glimmer of intelligence in the American youth, thest them on the important things that they care about: what the Burberry desing looks like, who was on TRL this week, and the meaning of the term "bling-bling"
I have no idea who was on TRL last week [img]tongue.gif[/img] lol
Old 01-29-2003, 11:10 AM   #8
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Two things here:

Not trying to pick a fight here Timber, but to those two points I do have to say:

1. Yes, otherwise it would not be representative. Those people matter as they are still failures of the educational system. I think even dropouts should really be able to find their own country on a map. Especially when its that big...
2. Yes, Americans are traditionally insular. Thats why this happens. You say that like its a good thing! I think what the article was trying to say was that this test proves that Americans are too insular - not being able to find Iraq when you're just about to go to war with it is not good IMO.

I don't think either of these two things excuse the facts of this survey. But hell, its your country! I'll stick to attacking mine for now... now where's that British justice thread...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-29-2003, 11:25 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Barry, I agree that being insular is a bad thing - else I wouldn't have sought to do legal internships in Argentina, England, and Switzerland when I was in school. Yes, there's no excuse.

I was trying to hypothesize an explanation, not justify idiocy.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:30 AM   #10
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I'm not accusing you Timber, I know you're a well read and intelligent guy from your posts. I just got the impression you were trying to give reasons for why this particular idiocy might not matter so much, or might not be as bad as the article was saying. Sorry, I got the wrong idea. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe