Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2003, 06:22 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Was browsing through a theological forum, when I came across this link.

Click Here.

Quote:
Preface

The purpose of this book is threefold. Firstly it aims to criti-cally examine the fundamentalist approach to Christianity and thereby highlight its many logical, philosophical and ethical problems. In doing this I hope to be able to provide Buddhists with facts which they can use when Christians attempt to evan-gelize them. This book should make such encounters fairer and hopefully also make it more likely that Buddhists will keep their faith. As it is, many Buddhists know little of their own religion and nothing about Christianity which makes it difficult for them rebut the claims Christians make or answer the questions about Buddhism they ask.

The second aim of this book is to help fundamentalist Christians who might read it to understand why some people are not and will never be Christians. Hopefully, this understanding will help them to develop an acceptance of and thereby genuine friendship with Buddhists, rather than relating to them only as either lost souls or potential converts. In order to do this I have raised as many difficult about Christianity as possible. If it appears sometimes that I have been hard on Christianity I hope this will not be interpreted as being motivated by malice. I was a Christian for many years and I still retain a fond regard and even an admiration for some aspects of Christianity. For me, Jesus’ teachings were an important step in my becoming a Buddhist and I think I am a better Buddhist as a result. However, when Christians claim, as many do with such insistence, that their religion alone is true, they must be prepared to answer doubts which others might express about it.

The third aim of this book is to awaken in Buddhists a deeper appreciation for their own religion. In some Asian countries Buddhism is thought of an out-of-date superstition while Christianity is seen as a religion which has all the answers. As these countries become more Westernized, Christianity with its ‘modern’ image begins to look increasingly attractive. I think this book will amply demonstrate that Buddhism is able to ask questions of Christianity which it has great difficulties answering and at the same time offer explanations to life’s puzzles which make Christian explanations look rather inadequate.

Some Buddhists may object to a book like this, believing that a gentle and tolerant religion like Buddhism should refrain from criticizing other. is is certainly not what the Buddha himself taught. In the Mahaparinibbana Sutta he said that his disciples should be able to “Teach the Dhamma, declare it, establish it, expound it, analyze it, make it clear, and be able by means of the Dhamma to refute false teachings that have arisen.” Subjecting a point of view to careful scrutiny and criti-cism has an important part to play in helping to winnow truth from falsehood so that we can be in a better position to choose between “the two and sixty contending sects.” Criticism of other religions only becomes inappropriate when it is based on a delib-erate misrepresentation or when it descends into an exercise in ridicule and name-calling. I hope I have avoided doing this.
For the record, I am an agnostic myself.

Personally, I found a few of the points raised by the author debatable, but overall, he presents a very lucid, if insistent, viewpoint on Fundamentalistic Christianity.

Hehe... and I finally found a satisfactory answer to the age-old question,

"If one desires Nirvana, a state of non-desire, then how is it possible?"

Should make an interesting read, no matter what you believe in. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:51 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

Hey thanks! I am a Pagan, who practices some Buddhist meditation and follows some of the philosophy. I have grown accustom to negative propaganda against Buddhism and it is nice to know of a source that maybe directly ( or indirectly) answers these baseless attacks. I will surely give this a good read!