Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
Otto
The Magister

I'm hopelessly addicted to CRPGs, and have played BG/ToSC, BG2/ToB, and IWD/HOW/ToTL, and IWD2 more times than I can count. I'll play for up to 12 hours at a time, and my immersion into the Forgotten Realms has cost me my job, my girlfriend, and my health. And I don't care one bit. I'm happy to sit in my underwear all day on the floor of my squalid, roach infested studio apartment and play until my eyes bleed from staring at the monitor too long.

Can anyone contribute to my downward spiral into oblivion by recommending another CRPG about as good as the ones I listed above?

[ 11-22-2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Otto ]
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
Calagari
Manshoon

I hear you Bud! How about the NWN series of games? Gothic 2 Divine Divinity Arx Fatalis That is just off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto:
I'm hopelessly addicted to CRPGs, and have played BG/ToSC, BG2/ToB, and IWD/HOW/ToTL, and IWD2 more times than I can count. I'll play for up to 12 hours at a time, and my immersion into the Forgotten Realms has cost me my job, my girlfriend, and my health. And I don't care one bit. I'm happy to sit in my underwear all day on the floor of my squalid, roach infested studio apartment and play until my eyes bleed from staring at the monitor too long.

Can anyone contribute to my downward spiral into oblivion by recommending another CRPG about as good as the ones I listed above?
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:25 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Umm, are you sure you want us to do this? Seems like you could stand some fresh air and sunshine.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

Otto,

LOL, I certainly -DO- hope you are kidding! Although I could visualize the wife thing. Mine certinly doesn't approve at all.

Planetscape Torment is supposedly a very good (albeit "different") RPG, built (IIRC) on the same engine as IWD. All the reviews I have heard (mostly in this forum) are good; and I have seen it selling for as low as $5.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:04 AM   #5
Calagari
Manshoon

First Welcome to the Forum ranger robby!
2nd Don't take the first post too seriously it was made in Jest. I know for a fact Otto doesn't own any underwear. LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by ranger_robby:
This is my first post, and sadly it's in response to your desperate plea for help masked by a recommendation for another RPG.

The simple truth is that you have difficulty coping with reality, and you're using CRPG the way other people might use alcohol or drugs. My advice is to take an axe to your computer and do something physical and outdoors to make yourself feel alive again. Find work or help others to give yourself some self-esteem.

I really do feel you. I used to be a data analyst and spent 10 hours a day in front of a screen. My life changed when I gave it all up to become a real-life protection ranger. No, I can't cast spells or dual-wield, and I'm pretty sure I don't have a lot of HP. But I feel more alive now than ever. A change of scene will do you a world of good.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:16 PM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Where'd his post go?

Anyway, Planescape: Torment is probably a safe bet, though I haven't played it. Also I would guess that going through a game in multiplayer would be like a new game, though I haven't tried that, either.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:33 PM   #7
Calagari
Manshoon

Good question. Do you suppose the forum fairies waved their magic wands and made it disappear? I hate to see a new poster just leave like that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
Where'd his post go?

Anyway, Planescape: Torment is probably a safe bet, though I haven't played it. Also I would guess that going through a game in multiplayer would be like a new game, though I haven't tried that, either.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

Calagari and Marty4,

You can delete your own post with the edit/delete button.

I looks like Ranger Rob doesn't like to leave a trail. He said that this was his first post (and the message ticker confirmed that). Guess he either is very fond of his privacy, or leans towards voyeurism. Nice of him to stop by, if only for a fleeting day.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:17 PM   #9
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I saw the post and it did border on un-necessary flameing. However at the time i couldn't delete the post as I was EXTREMLY busy.

So I assume it was one of my fellow mods or he deleted it himself.

Back on topic. If you want to be addicted to a CRPG and have a good internet connection playing NWN online can be extremly addicitve.

Some of the other Online MMORPG's like World of Warcraft and Evercrack(opps I mean Everquest) can be really addicting as well.

Hope this helps
Old 11-24-2004, 12:32 AM   #10
Lucern
Quintesson

I've played Planescape Torment, and it lives up to its good reputation, at least in my memory.

I'm currently playing a huge mod to Jagged Alliance 2, which, though not an RPG per se, has plenty of elements of it and enough combat to make you a computer pacifist. I think of it like an 18 member party that interacts and squabbles with eachother engaged in a single battle against about 1500 baddies [img]smile.gif[/img]
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote