Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 12:36 AM   #21
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Thank you, Nerull. You summed up my opinion perfectly. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2003, 02:59 AM   #22
Cataephract
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
And they say that for *all* games. But games like BG series where you actually need to use your brain(!) are not so known to society. I have many friends who say that BG sucks becuase you play it with Mouse(!) and there is not shooting involved and they never heard of the game.
I am reminded of when I first installed BG. My brother was excited about me putting it on the PC, and I wondered why, since he had made fun of me for 10 years for playing rpg's; turns out he thought it was a first-person shooterHe never really explained why he thought that.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:38 AM   #23
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Cataephract:
quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
And they say that for *all* games. But games like BG series where you actually need to use your brain(!) are not so known to society. I have many friends who say that BG sucks becuase you play it with Mouse(!) and there is not shooting involved and they never heard of the game.
I am reminded of when I first installed BG. My brother was excited about me putting it on the PC, and I wondered why, since he had made fun of me for 10 years for playing rpg's; turns out he thought it was a first-person shooterHe never really explained why he thought that. [/QUOTE]LOL! He tought THAT?! Hahaha...
Old 08-28-2003, 09:36 AM   #24
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Two things...

First, parents do have an obligation to know what their children are in to. If your kids are playing games, make sure you know and understand what they're playing. I'm not saying you have to play it through, but know what they're doing and watch them occasionally.

Few things frustrate me more than the "armchair expert", the person who instantly knows that something is bad (like gaming) without ever trying it out. I've seen it with games, and out here, with Harry Potter books (and please don't hijack the thread). You need to play it or read it before you can determine if it's really good or bad. Don't just take someone else's opinion, even mine, at face value; make sure you know enough yourself to make your own independent decision.

Second thing: my only gaming is on PC, but down in Atlanta a couple of months ago, I played Grand Theft Auto on my brother's PS2 (I think). After playing for a couple of hours, I went out to get dinner, and I was amazed at how differently I was driving! It almost felt like my body was still playing, which wasn't a really good idea.

That's the only time that something like that has happened that I can think of, but that game had a short-term impact on how I behaved in the real world. Score one for the developers, I guess
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:43 AM   #25
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Heh i had(still have) a friend,who judge a game without playing it. For 60% of games he say:sucks.
Shooting:good
RTS:sucks
FRP:sucks

You get the idead. And he doesn`t play it. And he says:ha the graphic is bad it sucks. It is not the graphic that it`s important but the option to play the game again and again. Like BG or Commandos or KOTOR for example.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #26
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

It also depends on the mindset of a child. I did as I was told when I was a wee kid, my dad said don't go into the medicine cabinet while he was away and I didn't. I sat there for hours playing my game until he got back, which explains why I mastered Mario Brothers.

I enjoyed beating up Kupa, it never made me violent. And most of these kids that I see today get away with so much crap is because parents don't enforce rules well enough. Playing games over the years have given me a keen sense of accuracy and hand-eye coordination. I owe much, but the only downside was gaining a big belly
Old 08-28-2003, 04:22 PM   #27
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Blaming gaming for violence is really, really lame. Anyone can find the connection between the two of them, find some murderer that happens to be a gamer as well'n you'll see that it probably isn't some teletubby game he spends most time playing, it makes sense. I'd say he plays that kinda games because he's a violent person (not meaning that everyone playing that kinda games are particularly violent persons), not the other way around.

Blaming gaming isn't even half as dumb as blaming music tho, now that's just friggin hilarious.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:30 PM   #28
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I think Gamer/Music Developers will always be "guilty" for something... parents just don˙t understand and neither does science.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:53 PM   #29
Kaltia
Jack Burton

My younger brother is thirteen. He plays GTAIII all the time, yet hasn't killed anyone or nicked a car. Nevertheless, I hear some truly disturbing comments from his room.

"Hey, Kyra, wanna see me kill an old granny?"

"Oi, Kyra, come watch me kill this kid!"

"HAH! I've stolen an ambulance and I'm running people over with it!"

So, the question is: Should we let him continue, because violent games make him less likely to actually start carjacking, or grandmother-killing, or should we take the game away? From the gusto of his comments, would he do what he enjoys in real-life? Or would he be a normal citizen?

(I have noticed his language has gotten worse since he started to play GTA and Soldier of Fortune. Oh, and his knowledge of the human anatomy.)

However, he also plays Baldur's Gate and other RPG's. Because of this, he is generally more vocabulary-gifted than other thirteen year olds. When he's not cussing, of course.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:56 PM   #30
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

If I were you,i would protect my granny just in case.

Yep that is why I love BG series. Your vocabulary is really good(better then most averge kids at those age) and if your parents are in a worry that you will become a murderer,you will not. You will buy a hamster and name him Boo.