Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
Calagari
Manshoon

I'm back again. I bought my ranger a long composite bow thinking he would do better with it. He is only level 2 so I don't know if that affects my problem. I tried to remove his long bow and the game won't let me. I can not physically take the bow from the weapon slot. I keep getting a message that it can't be removed. Can the Ranger not use a composite long bow? He has the skills for bow.
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:06 AM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

That is strange. Are you sure the message is saying exactly that his longbow cannot be removed? It's possible that you can't put a composite longbow in that slot (e.g. if you have less than 15 Str or if you have a shield equipped), but I've never heard of it the other way around. I'm assuming you don't have a cursed longbow because I've never heard of one in the game. You character level shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on the ability to use a bow, and a ranger is certainly allowed to use one.

It's possible that it's a minor glitch - do a quicksave and quickload, then try again.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:11 AM   #3
Calagari
Manshoon

Yes it says "this item can not be removed". It is a standard long bow that was purcheased in the beginning of the game. His strength is 16. It makes no sense to me that I can't remove it. I tried removing the arrows first thinking they werekeeping it from being removed. That didn't make any difference.

My Thief/Mage has the identify spell memorized in her book. When I try to id an item the menu comes up do I want to use spell or scroll but they are both darkened out so I can't use either one. She has enough stats to use the spell book and i know for a fact the spell is memorized Yet I can't use the skill.

Maybe a reinstall would change this? Or could there be some other reason I can't remove the bow or use the id spell? This makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Calagari:
I'm back again. I bought my ranger a long composite bow thinking he would do better with it. He is only level 2 so I don't know if that affects my problem. I tried to remove his long bow and the game won't let me. I can not physically take the bow from the weapon slot. I keep getting a message that it can't be removed. Can the Ranger not use a composite long bow? He has the skills for bow.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:03 AM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

I don't know about the bow, but as for not being able to cast Identify; are you wearing an armour? You can't cast arcane spells in armours. Can the Thief/Mage cast other spells?
Old 10-08-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
Roboghost
Manshoon

Yes. It's a bug. I've never mentioned it before myself--just lived with it. It seems to happen with certain character and combinations of weapons consisting of a bow/sling and a melee weapon of some type. I just save, quit, and restarted to "burp the bug."
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

I can say for sure that the greyed-out Identify is because your thief/mage is still wearing armor. I occasionally have that happen to me, too, when I forget to take the armor off my T/M, bard, or whatever.

As for the bow-removal bug, take Roboghost's advice. Now that I think about it, I can remember this happening to me before, but it's pretty infrequent.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:53 AM   #7
Calagari
Manshoon

You and stratos are right. The thief/Mage had plain leather armor on. It slipped right by me. Sorry about the post on this I will try to be more careful next time.

I restarted many times trying to get the bow to be removed finally I gave up and resorted to using Dale keeper. I hated to do so but really had no choice. I guess the alternative was to let him die but I hated to do that for a bug/ glitch.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
I can say for sure that the greyed-out Identify is because your thief/mage is still wearing armor. I occasionally have that happen to me, too, when I forget to take the armor off my T/M, bard, or whatever.

As for the bow-removal bug, take Roboghost's advice. Now that I think about it, I can remember this happening to me before, but it's pretty infrequent.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

There's a armour available later in the game that allows you to cast spells while wearing it, but it's a chainmail and unusuable by thief/mages. For this character, you should really consider using spells like Armor and Shield. The Shield spell gives you the same AC as a scale mail (if I'm not mistaken) and the Armor spell, while not offering the same protection as Shield, last much longer, 9 hours.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:43 PM   #9
Calagari
Manshoon

I just finished up the Vale of Shadows and bought the shield spell. I found the armor spell in the vale so I am set now for that. I also bought Melfi's acid arrow for the upcoming temple area.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
There's a armour available later in the game that allows you to cast spells while wearing it, but it's a chainmail and unusuable by thief/mages. For this character, you should really consider using spells like Armor and Shield. The Shield spell gives you the same AC as a scale mail (if I'm not mistaken) and the Armor spell, while not offering the same protection as Shield, last much longer, 9 hours.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:21 AM   #10
galdur
Dungeon Master

Btw, when we are by rangers... do you know this feature???

When you create a fighter with 2* specialization in long sword, he has 1 and 1/2 attacks. But when you create a ranger with same stats and specialization, he has 2 and 1/2 attack, which is total brutal at beginning. But when you equip him the shield with sword however, his number of attacks lowers to 1 and 1/2. Strange, huh? Bug or feature?
I always thought fighter is better melee warrior then ranger...

P.S. This works same also with bow.

[ 10-12-2004, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: galdur ]
galdur is offline   Reply With Quote