Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2001, 01:13 PM   #1
Charean
Hathor

These quotes are about living a life with purpose.

The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
Thoreau, Henry David

Look and you will find it-what is unsought will go undetected.
Sophocles

You are a child of the Universe, no less than the moon and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Universe is unfolding as it should.
Ehrmann, Max

Purpose serves as a principle around which to organize our lives.
Anonymous

I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.
Schweitzer, Albert

The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live.
Borysenko, Joan

Our deeds determine us, as much as we determine our deeds.
Elliot, George

We were not sent into this world to do anything into which we can not put our heart.
Ruskin, John

Life is a promise; fulfill it.
Mother Theresa

An age is called Dark, not because the light fails to shine, but because people refuse to see it.
Michener, James

Great minds have purposes, little minds have wishes
Irving, Washington

The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.
Emerson, Ralph Waldo

The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose
Leider, Richard

If you can not find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? Dogen Belief consists in accepting the affirmations of the soul; unbelief, denying them.
Emerson, Ralph Waldo

"I have done my best." That is about all the philosophy of living one needs.
Yutang, Lin

Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music-the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.
Miller, Henry

You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.
The Upanishads

That is happiness: to be dissolved into something complete and great.
Cather, Willa

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.
Shakespeare, William

Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve.
King, Martin Luther

Each small task of everyday is part of the total harmony of the universe.
St. Theresa of Lisieux

Seeing yourself as you want to be is the key to personal growth.
Anonymous

The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.
Aurelius, Marcus

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
Newton, Isaac

I would rather fail in a cause that will ultimately triumph than to triumph in a cause that will ultimately fail.
Wilson, Woodrow

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
And so, in the way of life, one must perservere in the face of adversity (or in this case, the face of a fluffy) and continue on the quest so bring truth, justice and the feng shui way to the world (or at least, make my truck look nice!)
And if you are still reading, I am taking suggestions for my next installment...
Old 06-15-2001, 01:33 PM   #2
Moni

Charean,
I just want to say that I love these quotes you post! I may not make comments in all the threads, but I do read them all!

Thank you!

Moni

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 02:11 PM   #3
Charean
Hathor

You are quite welcome... mostly I hope to give folks a little inspiration, but mostly to remind myself that "This Too Shall Pass".

------------------

Defender for the Light -
You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.
The Upanishads
Old 06-15-2001, 02:25 PM   #4
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
Newton, Isaac

Great quotes Charean! You must be between soaps and wrestling at the moment

The above quote is one of my all-time favorites! It is the ulitimate praise for those that come before you!

------------------

Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect from alphabet soup?
Old 06-15-2001, 02:52 PM   #5
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

I love these...

I love to read inspirational quotes, they motivate me so much...

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 02:57 PM   #6
Charean
Hathor

These quotes are about believing in and following your dreams.

If you can imagine it you can create it. If you can dream it, you can become it.
Ward, William Arthur

When making your choice in life, do not neglect to live.
Johnson, Samuel

Dwell as near as possible to the channel in which your life flows.
Thoreau, Henry David

Life is a cup to be filled not drained.
Anonymous

If one is the master of one thing and understands one thing well, one has at the same time insight into and understanding of many things.
Van Gogh, Vincent

What we need is more people who specialize in the impossible.
Roethke, Theodore

Luck is when opportunity knocks and you answer.
Anonymous

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
Thoreau, Henry David

Expect your every need to be met, expect the answer to every problem, expect abundance on every level, expect to grow spiritually
Caddy, Eileen

Magic has often been thought of us the art of making dreams come true; the art of realizing visions. Yet before we can bring birth to the vision we have to see it.
Starhawk

Your own words are the bricks and mortar of the dreams you want to realize. Your words are the greatest power you have. The words you choose and the use establish the life you experience.
Croquette Sonia

Within our dreams and aspirations we find our opportunities
Ebaugh, Sue

Energy creates energy. It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich.
Bernhardt, Sarah

The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it.
Fosdick, Harry Emerson

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
Thoreau, Henry David

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Roosevelt, Eleanor

Dream is not a revelation. If a dream affords the dreamer some light on himself, it is not the person with closed eyes who makes the discovery but the person with open eyes lucid enough to fit thoughts together. Dream- a scintillating mirage surrounded by shadows- is essentially poetry.
* Michel Leiris

Where all is but dream, reasoning and arguments are of no use, truth and knowledge nothing.
* John Locke

In bed my real love has always been the sleep that rescued me by allowing me to dream.
* Luigi Pirandello

You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?"
* George Bernard Shaw

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
* Henry David Thoreau

Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.
* John Updike

------------------

Defender for the Light -
The Upanishads

[This message has been edited by Charean (edited 06-15-2001).]
Old 06-15-2001, 03:05 PM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
...to remind myself that "This Too Shall Pass".

That reminds me of a beautiful poem in Old English that I read once. It was about a bardwho sung about famous tragic events and compared them to his own troubles. The chorus was "Þæs ofereode, Þisses swa mæg", meaning roughly "That has passed away, and so may this pass from me"
It is a marvelous poem, called Deor, in case anyone is interested.

Love the quotes, Charean, thanks for being such a dear to post them!

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia