Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2000, 11:56 PM   #1
Morninglord

Well, as the topic says...
In the Windspear hills area, in the dungeons of Firkraag, the guy who have decieved you (at least for me) to kill a gang of paladins, there are loads of monsters. In one place there are 2 dire wolves, 2 wolfweres, and 1 greater wolfwere. The problem is the greater wolfwere, he cannot be killed in any way I have tried whatsoever. The other 4 are killed with relative ease, but when I hit and cast spells on this guy, he goes down to "injured", but then he goes back to "uninjured". I have tried beating and beating for a looooooooong time, but nope, he refuses to die.
I am going nuts on this, please help me, what should I do?
Thanks in advance.

/Morninglord of Sweden

Old 11-18-2000, 12:06 AM   #2
One-Eyed Jack

Do you have a +2 or better weapon? That could be your problem. I don't remember ever having trouble with him. I used a Longsword +1 and a Flame Blade +1 I believe. I had other characters backing me up with +2 weapons and the such. I was a lvl 10 Ranger when I completed the Shade Lord quest.

You could try the old dragon trick and get a disentegrate scroll OR a flesh to stone scroll and just turn him into a giant statue or cremate him. Either way would probably work. Or if that doesn't work, you could just add Debug Mode=1 in your Baldur.ini file in your Baldur's Gate II - SoA subdirectory and use the key combination Ctrl + Y and it will instantly kill him. Although I don't approve that method, because you get in a REAL habit for using it on EVERYTHING. But, for a one time thing, if you JUST CAN'T kill it and don't feel like coming back...

You COULD even wait and come back at later levels. Get high level and come back with that Holy Avenger +5 and just whoop down. I GUARANTEE you can kill him with the Casomyar. There is no doubt in my mind. Anyways, I hope that helped!

Old 11-18-2000, 12:13 AM   #3
Morninglord

Well, all my characters have good weapons. Minsc has a +3 sword, and Jaheira is fighting with a +2 scimitar. Haer'Daelis is fighting with 2 +2 shortswords, and Yoshimo's katana is really magical, don't remember the exact + though. My main character has a mace of disruption, which I don't remember the + on either. Anyway, that is not my problem... this SEEMS more like a bug or so =/ The problem is not that the fight is hard or that I die.. I stand for like 5 minutes real time and hack away on him, casting fire spells aswell, doing LOADS of damage.. he kills the characters one after one, though, eventually.
But, a big thanks for your hint on the use of disintregration or flesh to stone, I hadn't tried those.. I will do it right away =)
Thanks again, Jack!

Old 11-18-2000, 12:20 AM   #4
Armisael

Yes, a lot of people seem to have trouble with the greater wolfweres. They regenerate their health at an incredible rate. But I never had any trouble with them, either. Like Jack said, if all else fails, greater malison / disintegrate.

Old 11-18-2000, 07:27 AM   #5
Suul-Yinn

You have to reduce them to Zero hit-points in one round, otherwise they regain ALL their HPs. I did it by hasting and dual wielding all my fighters and everyone else using missile weapons. Concentrate everybody on one at a time. If this doesn't work it probably is a bug

Old 11-18-2000, 07:31 AM   #6
Tara

another thing that helps is don't let them decieve you-keep pushing the issue of the orcs so they give up and change and you can deal with a much smaller crowd that way.

Old 11-18-2000, 07:46 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Morninglord, my first and only question: Do you have the Collectors Edition? If so give up on killing him. You will never be able to beat him. This is a known bug, for some reason if you have the Collectors Ed this Greater Werewolf can take a pounding of up to 10000pts damage. You could use CLUAConsole to create "KILLSW01" the killsword but i doubt if you will be able to beat him, or if you do you might get a crash. Only thing that *might* work (would be to use Lower Resistance to lower down his Magic Resistance then try to polymorph or petrify him. Failing that cheat an Imprisonment scroll into your inventory and imprison him.

BTW, Here are the stats for the Greater Wolfwere:
66/66 hps, 15000 exp
ac 2
50% resistance to fire, electricity, magic, magical fire, cold, acid, macigal cold

Saving throws:

Death 7 Wands 6 Poly 5 Breath 6 Spells 5

Thac0 6
Attacks 3

Level 11

Chaotic Evil
str 19
Dex 19
con 16 (uhuh)
Int 17
wis 10
cha 12

Morale 10 breaking point 2 recovery time 20

Carries a monster only item called Ringwolf
Effect:
Regeneration (I do not know the speed)

Inflicts 1d12 crushing damage (hits as +3 weapon)
Old 11-18-2000, 08:22 AM   #8
Ribs

I have the Collectors Edition and never had any problems with greater wolfweres. As someone said above, you need to hit him hard and quick before he regenerates. I usually pound on them hard with my best two fighters and have everyone else toss missiles or spells at them. They sometimes regenerate once or twice, but they tend to go down fairly easily.

Old 11-18-2000, 08:40 AM   #9
Morninglord

Tara, well it is not those Wolfweres. I knew how to fool those puppies as soon as I heard them yap =)

The Wolfweres I am talking about were in a corridor just before reaching the ones you speak about. However, the problem is solved, as you might understand, since I reached those ones I fooled. I did as One Eye there adviced me: I used a disintegration scroll. I didn't even use lower resistance or so before I cast it, but I had to re-load the game twice because his resistance kicked in the first two times I tried.

Memnoch, actually, I must admit that I don't know.. I have a copy I copied from my friend, who ALSO had a copy. So maybe it is the collectors edition =)

Ribs, yeah, well my group is pretty tough aswell and can deal out loads of damage, (which they did, especcially with Strength of One cas), but that wasn't the problem. However, it might have been as Suul-Yinn said, that one have to reduce them to zero hit points in one single round, lest they regenerate all their HP's. I think I didn't do THAT much damage.

Anyhow, thankks again everyone for the help, you have all been most helpful.

Spoiler
(Just found out this morning when I played, after posting the original message, that Firkraag was a damned dragon!)

/Morninglord of Sweden

Old 11-18-2000, 09:51 AM   #10
Armisael

Yeah, I jumped out of my seat when I marched into Firkraag's chamber to come face to face with a bloody great red dragon. That's what shits me about spoilers. : P

Now, about killing that blasted thing with the collector's edition. It's not impossible. I managed to kill it with my fighter, Viconia, and Jaheira. I was using Lilarcor, Jaheira was using Belm +2, and Viconia was using a spiritual hammer (yes, people, that spell is actually very good). Hasted/strengthed/blessed/chanted the party beforehand, and he went down very quickly (either he dies quickly or he doesn't die at all). The most important thing is the rate at which you hit him, since he really doesn't have that many hit points.