Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

I know this topic has been discussed before but I would like a reminder.

I'm trying a Female Faerie Ninja on solo, I had to put the difficulty on Novice because she could not survive otherwise. She is lev 6 now and not a very good fighter, she has only her fists and some darts for weapons. I did the trick where you start as another race of Ninja to get the Ninja armor and immediately switched to Faerie. She's lev 9 armor now and it's starting to help. She needs about 20K to go to lev 7. I thought about changing her to Bishop so have been building those stats at the expense of fighting. I have a few questions...

Should I try to keep her as a pure Ninja? She would lose out on a lot of protections. (And has anyone even tried this?)

Should I change her to Bishop for a few levels instead, or something else?

She is still in the lower Monastery, hasn't even seem King Crab yet, I think she'll get scrunched later on.

Edit: also, stamina is the weak point with a Faerie Ninja. I had to waste a spell option even though I am carrying an unidentified stamina book. Couldn't wait, she keeps conking out.

[ 11-23-2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Ziggurat ]
Old 11-23-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Build stealth. Get 2 Shillelah if you want to prep for the Cane...
Better start is to enter the game as a non-faerie samurai, then go to non-faerie ninja to buy the suit, then to FN. This way you'll have the Katana and Wakisashi to suppliment your weapons needs.
(edit) Can't imagine trying solo Faerie Ninja/Bishop, did that with a Hobbit, but they get to wear better armor...would really not want to try any other alternate class, though, even for a Faerie...gotta get Magic Screen somehow!

[ 11-23-2003, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Scatter ]
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:26 PM   #3
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Scatter - excellent idea. I didn't think about using a 2-character switch to get both armor and weapons. A little late now, unless I want to start over...

Edit: I always go for stealth, though I don't build it up with continuous mode. Never seems to work for me...doing something wrong. I put them on shield and continuous and they keep hitting. Maybe it's the timing of when to do it?

Edit: fixed a typo

[ 11-23-2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Ziggurat ]
Old 11-23-2003, 09:56 PM   #4
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Beating Gregor is hard at lev 6 as a solo ninja. I know he is only a 5 but what a pain! Took me more than a few tries.

I still would like to hear about profession changes for a solo faerie, the bishop strategy may be good for magic protection but she will be a lousy fighter. The nin is ready for the change, stat wise. She, after lev to 7, has 47 HP. Not very good against juggernauts later on.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and run when I can.

I must say this is a different world when you do a solo. Not sure if I recommend it.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:24 PM   #5
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

yah, and Faerie is one of the hardest solos. I haven't tried it, because i'm guessing it's as hard as you're finding it. Though FN is one of the first ones anyone wrote a walk-through for (and i don't remember where i saw it, on one of these boards...) it is really not the easiest solo. The Ninja/Bishop i ran was Hobbit, and my other 2 solos were Human.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:13 PM   #6
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Ya, I can say the Faere solo of any kind is probably difficult. Maybe the most given the weight, weapon and armor limitations. Any crevice or room may be a death trap if you rest. She made it to the first (left) room up the stairs in Upper Mon, beat the seekers, and decided to rest before trying the 2 rabid rats. Was not a good idea as four more lev 9 rats showed up when she went back to the stairs. Hopeless. I had an earlier save with the 2 rats before resting and got them OK. The fight with the rogues was not too bad, actually did it in two waves, allowing a pause between to get stamina back (without resting). The stealth is over 50 so she's sees some breaks now, especially against the 9 wolf spiders she ran into next. Almost half of them couldn't see her! They ended up paralyzing her a few times but did little damage. At the end they were out of stamina and she still had enough SP for it, barely.

Leaving the Mon (lev 7, could go up to 8 and change profession) she ran into 8 venom crabs and three harder ones. Should have saved. I found out from an earlier save she will need the venom crab shell for the Faerie plate armor. I think she is going to need it. When she reloaded they weren't there and she made it 1/3 way to Arnika, running around some bandits after putting them to sleep 1 turn. Think I'll reload from Mon and hope for a smaller number of venom crabs. Then off to Arnika. It looks doable, but many ways to misstep here.

Edit: fixed typos

[ 11-25-2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Ziggurat ]
Old 11-25-2003, 10:42 PM   #7
sultan

i may be wrong, it's been a while since i played a faerie, but i seem to recall the faerie plate armor is not available to monks or ninjae. so you'll have to save it for when you are classed otherwise.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:39 PM   #8
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Sultan - you are right. I want it in case I decide to go Bishop for awhile to get protections. Or for any other profession later on. My cats are currently reading my manual again in their secret place. I think Nin can get Element Shield but not much more. IIRC, I had a very hard time getting that venom crab shell later on.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:24 AM   #9
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Venom crabs start spawning on the beach where the game starts as you approach L5.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:11 AM   #10
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Exclamation

It took me 3 or 7 tries to leave the Monastery. Actually more like 12. Starting to feel like a Trynnie! Had to wait for venom crabs only. She missed an opportunity with 4 venoms and 2 hard shells.

Got the venom crab shell and made it to Arnika. Raised her (the Ninja Faerie Solo using 2 almost useless Shalillea things, whatever) to lev 8 on the way. Had to. You have to move on, and this is a hard one. Bypassed the wasps and rogues and poppies on the way. I tried taking them on and won, mostly, until the other showed up and crunched her she got tired, I can see why people can take their time with this game. Recruited Myles to get the first quest. Next stop, Antone ad Vi.

Will let anyone know where I stop with this crazy idea of a ninja solo. Faerie, no less. I think I will get creamed at some time, with no options because she will be in a hard place. I vaguely remember a walkthru. Was not my strategy style, tho. I might cheat along the way, if it is a legitimate strategy. By cheat I mean using all resources of the game, within it. I guess it's not a cheat if you use strategy like reloading.