Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2004, 01:52 PM   #21
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

No, no, no, no and no. The main factors are: amount disk space taken, percentage of disk space taken(not to be confused with amount), fragmentation of taken data(where they are), amount of bad sectors. Yes, windows version is a factor, as is the file system.
To explain how this works: when you install something it is placed on the disk. Let's say you install a 4GB windows with it's accessories and then a 500 MB program, 600MB program and a 1GB program. Suddenly, you realise you are no longer using the 500MB program and you delete it. Your friend gives you a 900MB program and you install it. What happens is this: 500MB of the new program is stored in the hole left by the old, erased program, while the rest of it, 400MB are placed at the next free area. It's in a disk's nature to write from the center outward, that can't be changed. Now when you write, delete and install stuff all the time, fragmentation happens. Defragmentation is a process wher data used by program 1 is stored in one place on the disk, data used by program 2 is stored on the other etc. It pushes it all in tone place at the begining of each disk. A Hard Disk is comprised of several multi-gigabyte disks in a spindle. Their size ranges from 1GB to the newest 120GB. That's why it's sometimes faster to defragment an 80GB disk then a 30GB disk.

[ 07-27-2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Bozos of Bones ]
Old 07-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #22
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, it probably feels like a year if you wait long enough between defrag sessions. Never had mine take that long since I got XP even with the larger hd. I think I do it a few times a year whenever I think of it or things seem slow.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:09 PM   #23
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
8 hours for 37 gigs? You're kidding right? [img]tongue.gif[/img] My 40Gb takes approxiamtely 1 hour to complete. A "little" longer for my 120Gb... There are a few defrag programs that are way better to use than Windows on. I believe oodefrag has a free version you could try out. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]tongue.gif[/img] Well, you see... I have about 100 different little programs that I like to install, try out, and forget to remove. Then, there are all of the files that are associated with those little programs. Then, I have the big games, like BG2 and IWD2; about 10 of those. With the appropiate mods. Can't forget the thousands of shortcusts I keep... And pictures saved from the internet. And stories from school/schoolwork/projects. Yep, that little computer's seen a lot of work.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!