Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 09:49 PM   #11
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I graduated from High School last year . Plus I had my last day of classes as a freshman in college this year, woooooooh!

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 05-21-2004, 10:22 PM   #12
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

In Calgary, college tends to be more vocational skills, less towards academia. There are a bunch of them here, but only one university. I don't think there are a lot of people who take graduate degrees at them. Also, their entry requirements aren't as stringent, so many people will take a year and then transfer.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:10 AM   #13
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Graduating to Life 401 , still sucks have a nice day [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2004, 09:32 AM   #14
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Like Vask I finish my degree in a few weeks. My finals start on Monday... [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

And then I'm going to another university to continue for another year! I'm a real glutton for punishment. But at least it keeps me out of work...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 05-22-2004, 09:44 AM   #15
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

My university studies will conclude on October the 18th! [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm not ready to be a grown-up!!

Congrats to everyone graduating this year!

[ 05-22-2004, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 05-22-2004, 01:42 PM   #16
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
My university studies will conclude on October the 18th! [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm not ready to be a grown-up!!

Congrats to everyone graduating this year!
This is exactly why I'm doing a PhD! Who wants to work already?? But I gotta get a 1st first It all depends on the next few weeks...
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-22-2004, 04:38 PM   #17
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
This is exactly why I'm doing a PhD! Who wants to work already?? But I gotta get a 1st first It all depends on the next few weeks...
Exactly! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Nothing like knowing you can hold off real adulthood for another 4.5 years . Good luck getting your 1st, Vask! I went through that all last year so I know it's a pretty stressful time. Doesn't help either when people are now like 'oh you're so lucky you have a scholarship' - it's not luck, I worked really hard to get that 1st!
Old 05-22-2004, 05:19 PM   #18
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Exactly! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Nothing like knowing you can hold off real adulthood for another 4.5 years . Good luck getting your 1st, Vask! I went through that all last year so I know it's a pretty stressful time. Doesn't help either when people are now like 'oh you're so lucky you have a scholarship' - it's not luck, I worked really hard to get that 1st!
*cough* yeah I've worked hard, well especially in the last week before each exam Thanks for your well-wishes, much-appreciated [img]smile.gif[/img] I've calculated that I need at least a 67% average this semester (I need 70% course average to get a 1st) so I have a relatively good chance...
What's your thesis title?
I assume your getting scholarship is similar to me getting funding from the research council? Well anyway, they say I'll get it if I get a 1st...
Old 05-22-2004, 05:51 PM   #19
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
It's an Australian Postgraduate Award - basically a living allowance for 3 years. It's cool too, doing a courseword PhD means I don't have to pay for my courses whereas if I'd done a masters I'd have to be paying upfront or taking a student loan to pay for the courses

Wow 70%!! I wouldn't like to make a comparison because I don't know the system or standards of your uni but we needed 85% for a 1st [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

Well I don't really have a title at the moment, I suppose I could make something up lol, but basically my research is looking at how skilled readers form new representations of words in memory, with a view to developing strategies to improve the orthographic processing abilities of early high school students.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #20
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well let's just say the average grade in any subject is typically 60% so it doesn't seem like you need to get that much higher to get a 1st. However, as you probably know it's a lot harder to gain a few extra percent nearer the top of the scale. Can't really compare, as you say, but typically, only around 5-7 people out of a class of 30 get a 1st. No one ever gets averages higher than the low 80's - and that's very rare, maybe 1 or 2 people a year in a class of 70, so basically, no one would get a 1st if 85% was required and no students would come to the uni It's a careful balance between attracting students by letting them think they have a chance of getting a 1st, and keeping the standards high so that degrees from your uni are actually worth something.

Anyway, here we get a research grant of a set sum, say Ł10,000 a year (tax free). Then you pay your tuition fees and living expenses from that and keep whatever's left over. Not too bad really [img]smile.gif[/img]

My research is potentially gonna be on Quality of service routing for mobile ad-hoc networks.

[ 05-22-2004, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]