Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2003, 02:59 PM   #21
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Even theese categories are broken down into subcategories as different dialects of a given gaelic language exist everywhere. For example in the north of ireland they speak a different dialect of gaeilge than we do down south...the differances aren't enormous as a whole but notable all the same.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:28 PM   #22
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Being that you're correct, and it was wrong of me to speak in such a manner, I apologize. The whole thing was something of an inside joke (fans of the film Snatch would have understood)

[ 01-11-2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Oblivion437 ]
Old 01-11-2003, 09:11 PM   #23
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Oblivion437:
Don't forget Pikeys [img]smile.gif[/img]
Er... I don't know about you, but where I come from that is considered a really really abusive term - on a par with the 'n' word.
And I found the rest of your post offensive as well, you are talking about a group of human beings, don't forget that.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:50 PM   #24
myungbass
Manshoon

wow....thats all i gotta say... i prolly know more about gaeilge (new word new word!!!8-)!) than my irish friends! Is there any free web sites that would help me learn this language?
no no! put it on rocco ya look scary!<br /><br />now rocco, are ya sure yer oh-bee kay-bee? ::snicker::<br /><br />Shepherds we shall be<br />For thee, my Lord, for thee.<br />Power hath descended forth from Thy hand<br />So feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.<br />We will flow a river forth to Thee<br />And teeming with souls shall it ever be.<br />In Nomeni Patri Et Fili<br />Spiritus Sancti
Old 01-12-2003, 09:53 PM   #25
myungbass
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:
After having spent about 14 years or so of learning it in school I don't know how anyone could voluntarily try to learn Irish. Possibly though that would be my reaction to being forced to learn anything. You need it to get into college, something that irritates many students here. That and having anyone give you a sheet with 101 pig metaphor\phrases on it is bound to freak you out, for some obscure reason Irish teachers are obsessed with doing this. Be afraid.
personally, i wanna learn it for two reasons:
1)because i am irish and i want to be MORE irish:-p
and 2) I find it to be a very beautiful language. One of my friends speaks it almost fluently and i often have her speak it for no reason other than to hear it spoken (rather redundant, no?)
Anyway, those are MY reasons, i dunno about anyone else.
no no! put it on rocco ya look scary!<br /><br />now rocco, are ya sure yer oh-bee kay-bee? ::snicker::<br /><br />Shepherds we shall be<br />For thee, my Lord, for thee.<br />Power hath descended forth from Thy hand<br />So feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.<br />We will flow a river forth to Thee<br />And teeming with souls shall it ever be.<br />In Nomeni Patri Et Fili<br />Spiritus Sancti
Old 01-12-2003, 11:17 PM   #26
madjim
The Magister

Question Mark

To Myungbass: I take it you dont work or have a family. I hope you have a lot of free time to put into learning a language that is basically useless - and is only half alive today because nuts like Devalera (born in America) forced it on the Irish education system. If you want to learn a language learn one an American is going to need - Spanish.

before you ask - yes my ancestors are from the old sod - Mayo and Down.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:29 PM   #27
myungbass
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by madjim:
To Myungbass: I take it you dont work or have a family. I hope you have a lot of free time to put into learning a language that is basically useless - and is only half alive today because nuts like Devalera (born in America) forced it on the Irish education system. If you want to learn a language learn one an American is going to need - Spanish.

before you ask - yes my ancestors are from the old sod - Mayo and Down.
well i have a full time job but thats it..im only 18 so i got plenty of free time:-p I already know spanish tho so gelic is my next project:-p
Old 01-15-2003, 05:49 PM   #28
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
nuts like Devalera (born in America) forced it on the Irish education system.
Well, I think it's more about heritage than forcing it unto people. What better way to learn the native language than in school? Parents can't always be relied upon to teach it, and properly either - thus the decline of Gaeilge speaking Irish people.

Nah it ain't that hard, you can learn it bit by bit (thats how I learned Spanish). Myunbass, what part of Ireland were u bron in originally - don't say cork

[ 01-15-2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 01-15-2003, 06:00 PM   #29
Daniel Doolan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

doolin doris mashnahela(speling)
"translate please"