Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2003, 01:31 PM   #1
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Anyone else disappointed by this book? I started reading it and 800 pages later, nothing happened. Most of the plot is still at the point it was at the end of book nine! Does it seem like they're trying to milk the story just a bit, or is it just me? It takes them two frickin' years to get a new book in the series and it winds up being a disappointment like this! [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 02:02 PM   #2
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Congrats. You're on your way to enlightenment after discoving the true nature of the con-job soap opera that is Robert Jordan's WoT. Better late then never I suppose. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:07 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Anyone else disappointed by this book? I started reading it and 800 pages later, nothing happened. Most of the plot is still at the point it was at the end of book nine! Does it seem like they're trying to milk the story just a bit, or is it just me? It takes them two frickin' years to get a new book in the series and it winds up being a disappointment like this! [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]
I liked the book, the only thing I hated was the ending... [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

In my opinion, Jordan plan to take every storylines and get them just before the climax, and then have an absolute ending book, with everything coming to an end together.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:15 PM   #4
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Rimjaw:
Congrats. You're on your way to enlightenment after discoving the true nature of the con-job soap opera that is Robert Jordan's WoT. Better late then never I suppose. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
It started out great! It's fame was it's own downfall I guess. Nobody likes to shut down a goldmine until it's drained dry.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:31 PM   #5
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I liked the book, the only thing I hated was the ending... [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

In my opinion, Jordan plan to take every storylines and get them just before the climax, and then have an absolute ending book, with everything coming to an end together.
</font>[/QUOTE]No Luvian, he's stalling! With small talk and background politics that the reader doesn't necessarily need(or want) to know. He's also going into painfully intricate visual detail and branching into long boring character thought sequences to stretch out scenes. I'm disappointed as he seemed to lump a lot of it into this particular book. The plot simply didn't budge an inch in my opinion. Any more drivel like this and I'll be reading something else and waiting for the WOT books to come out in paperback. All I know is I'm not spending thirty bucks on something like this again. [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

He has such a huge world and timeframe to work with that I don't see why he has to stretch out this particular series. He can be writing books about this world for a long time.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:01 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I really like his books the way they are. I just wish he would write faster.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:13 PM   #7
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
I really like his books the way they are. I just wish he would write faster.
Oh, I agree fully that the story, the world, and the character development are great! I just think he's milking the story right now, that's all.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:19 PM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

The first 4 books were great. The next 2 pretty good. And from there on it became a metaphor for Jordan's narcissism -- as if every word of his every thought is so important that we get 800 pages of quagmire. The man has become a legend in his own mind.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 12:34 AM   #9
spydar

I haven't read this one yet (no one warned me that once I was in university I'd never read for fun anymore) but I have noticed the lack of a real climax in the books. But I've also noticed, and this might just be me lost in my own little world, that all the characters, plots within plots, and differing factions can be applied to the huge metaphor of a complex tapestry, then one the Aes sedai are always talking about. So it could be so irritating on purpose, or I could just be on crack.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:45 PM   #10
jabidas
Silver Dragon

It is terribly dull isnt it. Will still read the next one hoping for the same old magic.