Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Ahhh Crapsticles
Yeah, it has been announced
Quote:
One of the Web's most popular file-sharing sites has shut down less than a week after Hollywood announced a flurry of lawsuits against operators of such Internet servers.

A note posted on Suprnova.org, which facilitated sharing among users of the BitTorrent program, said the site was "closing down for good." The collection of links to downloadable files, including music, movies and books, was taken down.

"We are very sorry for this, but there was no other way, we have tried everything," the statement said.

Reached via Suprnova.org's chat room, the site's anonymous operator refused to comment on why it had shut down.

Last week, movie studios sued more than 100 operators of U.S. and European sites that host BitTorrent links but did not name the defendants.

Suprnova.org was the most popular repository for links to files that could be downloaded using the BitTorrent program.

Another site that carried BitTorrent links, N4p.com, said it had shut down due to a civil complaint that cited the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (news - web sites). Torrentbits.org and Phoenix-torrents.com also shut down.

Still, there were plenty of sites with BitTorrent links alive on Monday, including a "mirror," or copy, of Suprnova.org.

BitTorrent has grown quickly in popularity this year, and now accounts for more than a third of all traffic on the Internet, according to the research company Cachelogic.

The program owes its popularity in part to its immunity to industry attempts to confound it with bogus decoy files, which have swamped some other networks. BitTorrent also allows for efficient and speedy downloads.

The Motion Picture Association of America last week said it is planning similar action against operators of servers that direct data for the DirectConnect and eDonkey file-swapping services.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:30 AM   #2
Animal
Gold Dragon

I think all file sharing programs should be outlawed.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:05 AM   #3
uss
20th Level Warrior

Whew, don't scare me like that - It's just suprnova.org that closed.

Although suprnova.org was a really good site.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:31 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

They will never kill Bittorrent. It's just not possible the way it works. Much like any open source software, the right - and, with bittorrent, the necessity - of users forking means that it is truly an impossibility for all activity of it to completely stop.

Quote:
I think all file sharing programs should be outlawed.
Why? Sure, they are used for pirating commerical software and movies etc., and this should be stopped.
But they are also used for legitimate reasons: Bittorrent especially is a favourite way to distribute Open Source Software, among alot of other free to download things, because it eases stress on the webservers, while (unlike other networks) giving the possibility to ensure that the users get a trustworthy copy, and that they get the most recent version.

[ 12-21-2004, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:23 AM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Did you know that both world of warcraft, and anarchy online use bittorent for their official download?

Did you also know that there is apparently a bittorent service with fileplanet, and according to my friend, it's great.

I've seen tons of gaming sites that use bittprent to distribute their files, since they don't have to pay for the bandwith.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:19 AM   #6
Tyrion
Quintesson

well cool then in sweden they cant stop it...the laws dont apply here...hehe

I believe in file-sharing...especially music. There is too much money in the music industry anyways...and most of it ends up with people who arent really making the music...
Old 12-21-2004, 08:27 AM   #7
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
[img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Where are we supposed to search for our torrents now? Suprnova had the largest database, did it not?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrion:
I believe in file-sharing...especially music.
Yeah, I download music too, but if I like it or if it is one of my favourite bands, I will buy it.

[ 12-21-2004, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Jaradu ]
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #8
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

I'm one of those people who will download a game first to see if I like it, then actually buy it if I like it (call it a three-day trial period). I mean, with the high prices of games of games nowadays, I don't want to waste my money on something I don't like. The demo sometimes works alright, but for example, in Rome: Total War, the demo was crap, the game was not. But I don't want this to turn into a filesharing discussion.

Suprnova going down is/was unfortunate, but there are plenty of other sites out there with torrents (BTW, just the site, not Bittorrent itself, was shut down [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). They may be a bit harder to find, but they're there all the same.

Here's a link to the 'official' FAQ: http://www.silentdragz.net/suprfaq/

[ 12-21-2004, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:51 AM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

The endless spiral...if people download stuff because of the expensive street prices, the prices will only go up even more so that the publishers/vendors can make up their losses by charging the legitimate buyers even more. Then people will buy less and download even more etc.

These lawsuits will never stop filesharing, for reasons above, and because the only way to stop filesharing completely would be to shut down the internet or at least to outlaw all file-transferring software - but that of course cannot be done because of the commercial uses of it.

What may slow down file sharing in the future is the introduction of monthly download limits by ISPs.

Also, I think people should strike a better balance between downloading and buying. Yes download, to test, trial, then buy if you like it; if you don't like it, you're not going to use it anyway. Then maybe the prices will get more reasonable. But already, the download music services have kicked off and they offer much better value for money - they won't reach their full potential though, unless they get rid of the stupid digital rights management which allows people only to play it on certain comps/players.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:16 AM   #10
philip
Galvatron

For illegal stuff I can't say I feel bad. Sure it was a good thing for open source and other legal downloads. But keeping lists on which video file and which mp3 is where you're bound to get a lawsuit and loose it. That's why kazaa couldn't be banned or charged. They just provided a program and didn't care what users used it for. It's their own mistake.

I always buy my music. I have an internet radio which I listen to and where I get ideas for other bands and at times I just search sites and ask friends if they found something cool and if I like it I buy it. Luckily I like CDs I can get CDs that aren't as expensive. I mostly mailorder them for like $9-$12 great price for something I listen and like a lot.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote