Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2001, 01:31 PM   #1
Neb
Account deleted by Request

(Before anyone says: "This belongs in the War forum." please read the thread.)

I can see that the War is hurting IW, ever since it started, people are posting less, old members become lurkers, everyone has an easier time getting angry, also, I might be wrong, but is it just me or do our moderators, who do such a wonderful job, seem more prone to thread locking?

Something unrelated to the War, but related to IW:

It seems that Conversation Zones, RP threads and Parties are dying, Conversationg Zones stop being active, RP threads have problems even starting off and Parties either remain talk or don't get more than four or five posts.

C'mon people! These threads are part of the Lifeblood of IW, they are what keeps it alive, along with all of the fun and nice threads which we have been seeing a general lack of, in fact, this started even BEFORE the War, though the War has amplified it, I don't know what it is, though I suspect that the recent attacks against SPAM have left people afraid to post things for fear that they might be spamming and have their threads locked or deleted and maybe get banned, also, I know that the "I got 2000 posts!" threads might be spam, but they were fun and social too, I know that the attacks against SPAM and the War are not the only causes for this, the dissapearance of Oldies are also to blame, but that is something which we cannot change.

------------------
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.
Sorcerer of Lady Lioness's Court.

Resident IW saint.
2nd place in the longest sig of IW contest 2001.
The sorcerer/assasin who says: Ecky-Ecky-Ecky-Ptang-Zoom-Boing.
Guardian of a Secret that noone else knows of.

A not quite as hopeless romantic as Dragonmage.

"If Silence is golden, why does everyone talk so much?"
Old 10-20-2001, 01:34 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I haven't locked any threads in the last month, dude.

Forums do have cycles when people post, and when they don't post as much. I don't think the war forum has much to do with it. It's been relatively calm in there since we created it.

People do come and go, but we'll always be here!

------------------
Old 10-20-2001, 01:36 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
[BI suspect that the recent attacks against SPAM have left people afraid to post things for fear that they might be spamming and have their threads locked or deleted and maybe get banned, also, I know that the "I got 2000 posts!" threads might be spam, but they were fun and social too, I know that the attacks against SPAM and the War are not the only causes for this, the dissapearance of Oldies are also to blame, but that is something which we cannot change.

[/B]
We don't ban people here unless there is a very good reason for it. Just wanted to clarify that.

------------------
Old 10-20-2001, 01:48 PM   #4
Arvon
Unicorn

Hmmm There may be several factors. In the US school and football(US) is occuping a lot of people. The war and various press induced scares are taking a toll. And as said above these communities run in cycles.

I'm a newbie here only a week or so...but I've been impress with what I've seen and have mentioned this comm to several people. Some of them have even joined your community.

Post neat stuff and we'll try to respond.

Arvon

------------------
Avast There mates..make yer way here and drop yer anchor. We'll swap some lies and have a Black Jack o' ale.
Old 10-20-2001, 01:52 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quite often, Neb, it's "real life" (R/L) that kicks in for people; their schedules change, or something occurs "out there" that creates less of an opportunity to post. Others may simply get tired and move on for a bit, then return later.

As far as people getting mad and leaving...I've yet to see anyone here who left who didn't pop back up again eventually. So I tend to take those "goodbye forever" posts with a "we'll see" kind of attitude.

The only times we lock threads, BTW, are when A) the flaming and vitriol have gotten to such a point in the thread that to leave it open will risk further hurts, or B) when the thread is over 250 posts long, in which case it will be locked and a new thread started. We had a run of "A" right after the terrorist attacks. Those have died down now. Generally speaking, treat each other with respect and courtesy, and "we mods" won't HAVE to lock down those posts. Dig?

I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be a HUGE load of IW activity once the new round of games (Neverwinter Nights, Wizardry 8, etc.) hit the shelves. Remember, IW is first and foremost a gaming forum, and that's what pulls people in more than anything.

Cheers,

------------------
Old 10-20-2001, 02:05 PM   #6
Legolas the Elven Archer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

The only times we lock threads, BTW, are when A) the flaming and vitriol have gotten to such a point in the thread that to leave it open will risk further hurts, or B) when the thread is over 250 posts long, in which case it will be locked and a new thread started. We had a run of "A" right after the terrorist attacks. Those have died down now. Generally speaking, treat each other with respect and courtesy, and "we mods" won't HAVE to lock down those posts. Dig?

I'll have to add a C to that...
I think Neb is also referring to the threads that have been locked in the BG1 area (and possibly some others that I don't really visit) because there were already threads dealing with the same question.

Neb, I've also noticed that people are posting less than before, but I doubt that's because people fear their posts'll be labled as .
Maybe the Ironworks will never be the same again, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Things, people and people's lives change, but the Ironworks is. So don't worry too much, okay

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

[This message has been edited by Legolas the Elven Archer (edited 10-20-2001).]

Old 11-24-2001, 04:42 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Okay, I've said this to you before Neb, but here goes..

CHILL OUT, DEAR!

What Memsy and Sazzie said is so true. Trust us, we've been around here a long time and we've seen this before. It is a NATURAL occurence on any forum (I amdin at Cybergalactic Refugee Camp http://www.xsorbit.com/users2/newworlds/index.cgi and mod at Mithril Hall http://www.xsorbit.com/users2/Whisper/index.cgi and I KNOW that things slow down and pick up there too).

People have life to attend to now and then and just now I know I have had a lot on my mind and much to deal with in my life so I've not been posting heavily or even as much as I would like. [img]smile.gif[/img] School is heating up for lots of folk especially colleges where finals are just around the corner. Holidays for many have taken up their time and more are coming that will keep us all occupied in other places besides our computers. And anyone who would leave because of a forum they don't have to read... sigh.. well, they will either return or not, but it is free choice around here.. nobody is chained to the Ironworks.. well except the genie.. but we do that more to protect the populous... hehe.. [img]tongue.gif[/img] *looks around for Memsy and ducks*

Cloudy
Old 11-24-2001, 04:48 PM   #8
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

I agree about threads barely getting off the ground. when I first joined, there was a joke thread with 100 posts in. I tried starting one I got 7. Story threads aren't being answered either. I have one going with only 11 posts. Most of which are non story related.
Old 11-24-2001, 04:50 PM   #9
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Ummmm.... Cloudy? This thread is about a month old, why are you posting in it?
Old 11-24-2001, 10:15 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I think I stepped through a time warp or something.. LOL it was near the top of the page.. but I think that's because I was on another page and the sticky thread follows you.. so I thought it was front page stuff again... EEEF..

*CB goes off to quietly finish losing her mind.* [img]smile.gif[/img]