Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #1
Lymond
Manshoon

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

So, we've all played the same game and, with the exception of the some randomly generated items, we've all come across the same stuff. I'm curious to know what items people really think are great. I found that except for jumping from +2 to +4 type weapons, I never loved one over another. With the multiple slots, I did keep one that was a "defender" and maybe another weapon type or one that added fire damege, but other than that I would go through long periods of the game with the same thing. I would find another weapon that was good, but not so great as to replace the ones I was already using, unless out of curiosity. Part of it could be my lack of D&D knowledge regarding when electrical damage vs. fire damage was appropriate. I found the same thing with armor. I liked the appearance of some of the special armors (Winter King's plate and that Dragon scale one that's all black), but I stuck with Mithral +2 because it didn't seem to cause a magical conflict. Also, I was usually driven by armor class and you always had to give up a couple of points to get resistance to acid or something like that. Did you ever really need resistance to acid? fire? cold?

I'm starting a new game (going for three characters this time) and I'd like to know why people liked certain items and when they needed them.

Lymond
Old 04-17-2003, 04:16 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

These are my favorite with IWD only (no expansions or mods)
Great little instrument, berserkers are hard to control but they are tough.
1. Bardic Horn of Valhalla - Summons 2-4 berserkers once per day

A nice Talisman and with a party of 3 or more is likely to be kept through the entire game and it is found early.
2. Black Wolf Talisman - +1 AC bonus, +10 Max HPs, +10% cold res., +1 save vs breath

Boost strength of fighter especially good for multi-class who may not have more than 18 str. Good for solo games as well.
3. Gauntlets of Elven Might - +1 saves, 18/51 strength for dual/multi-class fighter

Some penalties but I do like the 50% slashing res as many enimies do slashing damage. You can always remove it as well.
4. Bone Marrow Belt -2 charisma, +50% slashing res., -15% crushing dam.

Similar to 3 but can use on any class
5. Girdle of Stromnos - 19 Strength

My favorite helmet in the game
6. Dead Man's Face - Protects Against Critical Hits, Immune to Horror and Cloak of Fear, -2 charisma

For a paladin, and is what I end up with if I have one.
7. Pale Justice - 5-12 Dmg, THACO +4, +7 dam. and +7 THACO vs evil creatures, immune to fear and charm

Extra items I like in HoW
1. Restored Blade of Aihonen - 6-13 Dmg, THACO +5, +5 Maximum Hit Points, +25% Cold Resistance, +25% Fire Resistance

There are few others as well, and if you ad in TotLM there are even a few more that but I can't think of them of the top of my head.

[ 04-17-2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:58 PM   #3
Mojo
Elminster

For me, my favorite item has to be the Dead Cat I pulled from the Jester's Bag of Holding. If only for comic effect...
Old 04-30-2003, 05:08 PM   #4
Charlak The Axeman
The Magister

I quite like the Cynicism 'talking sword' forgot its stats sos

I also like the robe that gives you 50% resistance to three elements i think
Old 05-01-2003, 05:03 AM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

the elven chain armor... and the dragon armor you get off marketh... also morningstar+3 the defender
Old 05-04-2003, 01:23 PM   #6
trueheart78
Elite Waterdeep Guard

When I got to the end of it all, and the lil mage did a transformation, I laughed maniacally and opened up my bag of holding, scrambling through my Inventory for the longsword I found - Hell's Bane, woo, was I glad I saved that - 2d8 + 4 dmg vs Tanar'ri & Baatezu, and +4 thac0 - And then I summarily whooped his arse [img]smile.gif[/img]
trueheart78 is offline   Reply With Quote