Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2001, 03:43 PM   #1
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Question below
.Is there any way to kill the guy without the blind snirfneblin getting killed? Nothing I have tried so far has worked. They always end up dead and so do most of my team!

------------------

Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 04:33 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Continued Spoiler Information
I've tried a few of the different dialogue options and couldn't solve that one. I even tried the "I'll drop all of my weapons" dialogue choice and still couldn't save the little guys. Sorry I'm not helping to answer your question.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 04:46 PM   #3
Fljotsdale

Actually Father Bronze, knowing you can't do anything about it helps a lot! Saves you messing about!
But if anyone else knows a way, please post! Thanks.

------------------

Old 05-23-2001, 07:20 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Like Father Bronze I tried everything too. I dont think they can be saved in any way. Although.... HOW adds the Contact other Plane spell, I havent tried it yet though so no idea if that would do/say anything. Has anyone used that spell? Any good?
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 08:25 PM   #5
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Spoiler...maybe
It's the Iron Golems that kill the deep gnomes not Malavon.
Unfortunately the Iron Golems are so tough that nothing short of a Wall of Force could stop their breath weapon. Prismatic Wall would also work but, I do not recall seeing either of those spells in IWD/HoW.
According to AD n D 2E ... Iron Golems are immune to all spells except electrical spells that slow them and Fire spells which actually heal them. A +3 weapon is needed to hit them as well.
I have not tried Summoning an Air Elemental before facing him either. Perhaps the Elemental could disapate the gas. But I feel the Gnomes are destined to die.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wulfere (edited 05-23-2001).]
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 08:31 PM   #6
Fljotsdale

Ah, well, Wolfere; so be it!, thanks for the info!
Hm.
.I haven't tried shooting the golems from a distance yet, to see if I can lure them out one at a time... I think I might try that next. I actually killed Malavon once before he could tell the golems to kill, and they stayed blue - sadly, the game froze. Sigh!

------------------

Old 05-23-2001, 09:37 PM   #7
Axterix
Manshoon

The gnomes die. That's just the way of it. You can save a few of them though, if you act quick.

What's the worst is when you save quite a few of them... and the chump gnomes block the way out of the place! I had to attack them last time I played because otherwise I couldn't leave=(
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 11:48 AM   #8
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

This is an annoying enigma. In the Infinity Explorer, you can brouse the dialoge with Malavon and clearly see that there are two more options that never seem to appear in the actual game. The paragraphs suggest that there are command words for Golems. If you learn these words, you can turn the golems back on Malavon's sending before he gets the chance to cloud kill everyone. How this is done? I dunno. Now starts the hunt for ancient scrolls and wise NPCs who know about Golems.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 01:47 PM   #9
Fljotsdale

Finally! Got rid of Malavon - AND without lowering difficulty!

.Got my team nicely killed by Brother Poquelin, though! Good thing I saved, lol!

------------------

Old 05-26-2001, 08:30 PM   #10
Norfleet
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There is a way, but doing it also has the nasty side effect of breaking the game.

Kill Malavon before he's has the opportunity to talk to you. Sneak up on him while cloaked, and stab in the back. If he dies instantly from such treatment, the game will go to dialogue mode as you decloak from the backstab, but dialogue mode never ends because he can't say anything, since he's dead. You'd think that since it's only clone-Malavon that it wouldn't interfere with his ability to talk.
Norfleet is offline   Reply With Quote