Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2003, 09:59 AM   #21
MagiK

Hey! I actually agreed with Donut on something [img]smile.gif[/img]

Beatles are/were the bomb of bombs
even if I don't really listen to them too much...their influence and
imapct really are incalculable.

Old 06-03-2003, 10:02 AM   #22
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Okay - I've changed my mind, I'm going with Buddy Holly now!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-03-2003, 10:02 AM   #23
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:

Okay - I've changed my mind, I'm going with Buddy Holly now!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-03-2003, 10:04 AM   #24
Drake
Baaz Draconian

smashing pumkins
pink floyd
motorspycho
stromning
placebo
tool
stone temple pilots
soundgarden

not in that order
Old 06-03-2003, 11:02 AM   #25
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:

For sheer longevity and $$$$ I would think Beatles and Stones have to be tops...My personal faves include (not necessarily in order)
Def Leppard
Ozzy
KISS
Kansas
Styx
Alice Cooper
Led Zepplin
Joan Jett
and oh so very many others [img]smile.gif[/img]

Several years ago I went a Kansas/Styx concert. Talk about a great concert!

But since this is not really a favorite band thread, but a Greatest Rock Star or Rock Group thread, I'd have to say the The Beatles, mostly due to their influence on Rock culture.

Mark
Old 06-03-2003, 11:06 AM   #26
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
They may not have been the most innovative group of the time, either musically or lyrically, .
Arrgh!

"I don't really want to stop the show
But I thought you'd all like to know"

Do you take the hint young whippersnapper!!! The first ever concept album. The use of the sitar, huge numbers of unusual instruments, inclusion of classical music, psychedelia, multi tracking! The first ever album to have the words on the sleeve.

"The impact of the Beatles - not only on rock & roll but on Western culture - is simply incalculable. As musicians, they proved that rock & roll could embrace a limitless variety of harmonies, structures and sounds; virtually every rock experiment has some precedent on Beatle records."

"Although many of their sales and attendance records have since been surpassed, no group has so radically transformed the sound and meaning of rock & roll."

- Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock and Roll

I'm going to have my afternoon nap now!
[/QUOTE]Which is why I said they were the greatest band - that is an undisputed matter of fact.

The rest of it is down to opinion and taste. There was a gap of a fair few years between the Beatle's inception (arguably in 1960 if you discount the Quarrymen) and the release of Sgt Pepper in 1967. Yes Sgt Pepper may have been the first concept album (narrowly pipping Ogden's Nut Gone Flake at the post), but the Beatles by that time already had a long history and had already become the most influential band of all time - it was not Sgt Pepper that did that, but initially rock n roll covers, followed by several years of fairly unremarkable (although unarguably popular) pop songs - without the use of Sitars, concept albums, whacky costumes etc.

It was songs like 'Please Please Me', 'Love Me Do', 'She Loves You' etc. from the early and mid '60s that ensured the Beatles' success - fairly catchy but pretty uninspired pop songs - that made them more famous than any group either before or since, and that influenced pop music from that moment onward.

I would argue that The Kink's early singles were far more musically and lyrically innovative!

From late 1964 for example, we have the Beatles 'I Feel Fine' - nice catchy tune, and don't get me wrong, it's a nice song which I like, but is less innovative and interesting in my opinion than The Kinks' 'Tired Of Waiting' released a couple of months later or 'Everybody's Gonna Be Happy' (March '65) - and 'You Really Got Me' from late '64 with its driving beat and heavy guitar riff (and which incidentally is one of the most frequently covered pop songs of that era).

And yes, the door may not have been open for the Kinks if the Beatles had not burst onto the scene when they did - which is what makes the Beatles the more important band in terms of the history of rock/pop music. But Sgt Pepper came much later than the work that made them the most important band - they were already there when Sgt Pepper was released!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:30 AM   #27
Lovisa
Manshoon

Well let's see hmm...Linkin Park, Ozzy, 3 Doors Down, KoRn, Papa Roach dunno if there like hard rock oor that but they sure rock!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:51 AM   #28
Chewbacca
Zartan

Greatest Rock Band?- I would have to say the Beatles. I have met someone who hates the Beatles, but I found it hard to believe they hated every song by the Beatles as much as they had claimed. Even they conceded the Beatles are truly a great and lasting influence in all of "popular" music.

Greatest Rock Star?- Elvis! The original Rock Star! He Pissed off parents, starred in movies, made women scream and squeal en masse, and abused drugs...
Elvis Pioneered being a Rock star! Elvis is one of the few "Rock Stars" that has shed the stigmata of being one to the point of elevetion. Long Live The King!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:51 AM   #29
Grojlach
Zartan

And how about Spinal Tap? I mean, they went to eleven and all.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:09 PM   #30
skywalker
Banned User

The Rutles...the Pre-Fab Four!

Mark