Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2002, 11:06 AM   #31
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

With a two year old, I'd stay in a campground. If you don't, there are just too many things you have to take to maintain her. It becomes a huge hassle. Trust me I know. We've tent camped for several years now with young children. I'd get a large two or three room cabin tent or a pop up trailer. You'll probably need TWO mattresses cause one of you will end up sleeping with her and the other will be sleeping alone. It's been my experinece that two adults and a child cannot fit comfortably on a queen size mattress. Besides what everyone else has suggested, I'd take a ready supply of toys! Banner Elk is a beautiful place. I've been there several times! I'd also take a couple of sheets. While we take sleeping bags camping, I always find myself sleeping under a sheet. Too hot other wise!

Earthdog, I use to live between Gray TN and Johnson City when I was a small boy. I attended Boones Creek Elementary school when it was directly behind the High School. Small World!
Old 05-27-2002, 11:42 AM   #32
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Oh and one other thing, if you ever need to capture a flag, wait until someone else gets it, get in a place where your path eventually will run into theirs, when they show up, silence them, take the flag and do whatever you need to it.

If you're in a ball game, look for that one place that nobody would expect to find you and take the ball there, if you are in split-screen mode take some duct tape and place it over your screen, this can be a double edged sword however, it is not if you take the duct tape and put it over your opponents face, however...

and that is also how you camp [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2002, 12:48 PM   #33
Moiraine
Anubis

Larry, is it a camping trip of the light kind, or of the comfortable kind ? I mean, will you carry your belongings on backpacks, or do you bring a car with a big trunk ?

'Cause I've been camping every summer since I'm 4, both kinds, and I have a different list for either kind. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2002, 01:12 PM   #34
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
I would like to suggest leaving the 2 year old at home The babys not old enough to enjoy it and it could cry all day and night or get bitten up by bugs.
My kids at 2 absolutely loved camping. It was a major blast, and the two year olds got a kick out of running around skyclad [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2002, 03:31 PM   #35
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
You'll probably need TWO mattresses font>
mattresses, wheres you camping spirit lol we sleep on the grass [img]smile.gif[/img]

(well actually there are 7 of us and no enough air beds to go round so i usually get made to sleep on the floor because im the oldest lol)
Old 05-27-2002, 03:55 PM   #36
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Larry, is it a camping trip of the light kind, or of the comfortable kind ? I mean, will you carry your belongings on backpacks, or do you bring a car with a big trunk ?

'Cause I've been camping every summer since I'm 4, both kinds, and I have a different list for either kind. [img]smile.gif[/img]
We want the car within a comfortable walking distance if not right there. It's great for locking up stuff that you don't want stolen while you're out and about, and also good so that you don't have to unload everything at once. We are looking more for a vactation where a nice place to enjoy a week off work but not pay hotel prices.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:00 PM   #37
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, if it was slightly rougher camping I could help, but I doubt you'll want to be constructing a makeshift bovouac with a kid there. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2002, 07:35 AM   #38
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Oh, and another thing. You have to make sure that EVERYTHING is packed and ready to go the NIGHT BEFORE. Whether that means in your living room or in your vehicle, have it ready. I would have to say that I have probably left on time (for a camping trip) about 3 times in my life, out of around 50+. And I'm assuming that you are taking a farely long drive, and in that case, don't forget your tool chest, jack, spare, pump, oil, or anything else that you feel is relevent to your car's possible needs. Oh, and several flashlights (preferably high-powered spotlights for blinding your meal), with lots and lots of extra batteries.

Again, have a kick arse time!!
Old 05-28-2002, 11:11 AM   #39
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

I am hiking, but not far to a campsite...we are wondering if we should stay near civilization since the two year old is coming.
Karen wanted me to ask you...we have a queen size air bed that inflates to be a real comfort. Is this a good camping tool?It comes with a cigarette lighter plug to be able to hook the motor up to blow it up with the electric pump. What would I have to lay down on the grond to prevent puncture? Is it even worth bringing?
Larry,

From experience, I can tell you. Don't skimp on the tent or sleeping gear, especially with a child. It can make the difference of between a great or miserable experience. I recommend one of the new combination queen size, cot/air mattress combos. Air mattresses are a must in cool weather. You lose more heat from the bottom of a cot than you do the top. An air mattress is the best insulation. Bring extra blankets in case of a cold night. Get a tent that is tall enough to stand semi-erect in with two separate rooms, otherwise the child will never sleep and you'll curse getting dressed. Campfires are romantic and functional, but also very dangerous around young children who tend to trip and fall easily. I recommend cooking with a gas camp table grill that shuts off when you're done. A gas lamp for outside and a battery one for inside the tent. Don't forget the fire extinguisher. Children also tend to get food poisoning easily so bring foods that are not easily spoiled. Fresh fruit, nuts, cereal, cheese, bread, canned or dry milk (the new drink box milk is pretty good!). Canned, smoked, or dried meats. Coffee, tea, cocoa, marshmallows for relaxing. You will need penty of water, so either be close to a piped source or have a reliable filtration/purifying kit and a clean natural stream. If you want fresh meat, you'll need a cooler and you'll have to cook it the same day. You'll also need something to wash your cookware in. For eating, disposable paper plates/bowls removes the risks associated with washing dishes in cold water and they burn for easy disposal. Some other items of necessity are bug repellent, a cell phone or handheld HAM radio. Of course, much of this depends upon personal circumstance and finances. Since you're hiking, you'll need compact eqipment and a large tent and air mattresses are probably out of the question. You're not a pack mule. Remember, you can probably rent most of your equipment. The must haves are safety equipment and common sense. If you have fire, you must have an extinguisher in reach. Keep fire away from the tent. Have a first aid kit handy with something to treat the rare incident of heavy bleeding or fractures and also more common problems like stings. It's essential to have a way for reliable communication in case of emergency. If you will be in actual wilderness, a .357 revolver with both regular and snake shot ammo for animal defense wouldn't be out of order either.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:16 PM   #40
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I am planning a camping trip in July to the NC/Tenn border, where it at the very top of the mountains, but still a easy drive from where I live. In fact, if anything goes wrong, I have friends that live up there in Banner Elk. It is beautiful there, and I am looking forward to this. But, my last camping trip was short-lived and unsuccessful. I have been talking to one or two of you about this by way of Private Messaging, but I decided to open it up for the general body of membership. P.S...we are going with the two year old demon.

I would like the following,

*List of items to acquire ( I have nothing )
*Advice on making the trip successful.

Thanks. Your help is much appreciated.
My only advice: DON'T! My experiences have probably been worse than yours in camping but still, thats my advice to you.