Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2001, 10:05 AM   #61
Elif Godson
Dracolich

It's not my sig...

If in life you will have in death then love, love
hate, hate and be at peace with yourself.

------------------
The Ruby Rouge of the ALSB
Official Slayer of Pest's in Cloudy's Kitchen
Blessed is the Warlock
Old 10-04-2001, 10:12 AM   #62
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Hello all!
Just have a minute, so I'll cram a lot into this:
Growth without conflict would include include understanding through observation and meditation. growth is possible through reflection on the patterns observed in the world around us. One could argue that conflict is still present in the situations being observed, but I think that would be tertiary.

Tothespring, welcome! Don't fret gender-bending, it happens quite often around here.

Silver Cheetah, in re the former boyfriend, was that a way of resolving conflict, or just the price of admission, so to speak? If the former, I may become more argumentative with you...

Fljotsdale, the mermaid quote actually had me all misty-eyed. how poignant.

Ab, I need to think about what you just said there. Get back to you. On the other topic, oh, the price of admission, definitely........ Gonna stick 'pillow queen' on my sig....

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-04-2001, 10:17 AM   #63
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Now that I'm in a quoting mood, here is a sample of quotes from Henry David Thoreau, whose philosophies I have admired for a long time:

None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm

Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all.

Beware of all enterprises that require a new set of clothes.

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but religiously follows the new.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them

Must be out-of-doors enough to get experience of wholesome reality, as a ballast to thought and sentiment. Health requires this relaxation, this aimless life.

He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate

If I shall sell both my forenoons and afternoons to society, as most appear to do, I'm sure that, for me, there would be nothing left worth living for.

Our moments of inspiration are not lost though we have no particular poem to show for them; for those experiences have left an indelible impression, and we are ever and anon reminded of them.

Don't be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so.

To be a philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts, nor even to found a school, but so to love wisdom as to live according to its dictates a life of simplicity, independence, magnanimity, and trust. It is to solve some of the problems of life, not only theoretically, but practically.

I respect not his labors, his farm where everything has its price, who would carry the landscape, who would carry his God, to market, if he could get anything for him; who goes to market for his god as it is; on whose farm nothing grows free, whose fields bear no crops, whose meadows no flowers, whose trees no fruits, but dollars.

If a thousand men were not to pay their tax-bills this year, that would not be a violent and bloody measure, as it would be to pay them, and enable the State to commit violence and shed innocent blood. This is, in fact, the definition of a peaceable revolution, if any such is possible.

Between whom there is hearty truth, there is love.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone

Men have become the tools of their trade.

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live

Old 10-04-2001, 10:18 AM   #64
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

Very good quote Fljotsdale...made my stomach feel all funny...I love that poem!

Me too. What is odd, though, is that I had never read any T S Eliot in my life - apart from the cat poems - until I was at uni in my late 50s. Then I saw a bit of the poem, just a few lines, in a 'past exam' paper. I 'recognised' it. Not in the sense of having read it previously, because I never had, but in the sense of 'knowing' it was me/mine. The quote had no author name to it, and no way of finding out about it in the question, so I had to look for it. It never even occurred to me to ASK someone about it - it was 'mine'! When I finally found the poem it was as though I was meeting myself. I wish I could explain it better. The poem IS ME in a very profound way.

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:19 AM   #65
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Hmmm . . . can't think of a quote that captures my "essence" exactly (in fact, I think it debatable that humans have such "essences" ) but here is a quote I really like as an approach to life, which I was reminded of a couple of days ago:

Yes, I like the quote.

Re your 'essence' point - yes and no. We are all multiple and complex beings, (not to mention inconsistent ) however, I think we all have something that perhaps could be described as a defining characteristic, or maybe a burning passion, or just a way of being that feels like truth.

What I was looking for was a quote that got that over. For example, I believe that collectively, we can change the world for the better. And I believe it is down to each one of us to recognise that responsibility, and take action. (Only MHI, of course...) Hence my quote from Ghandi, which speaks to me at a very deep level of my being.

In a different mood, I might change it to something else. 'F*ck 'em if they can't take a joke' comes to mind for today........

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 10:23 AM   #66
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Now that I'm in a quoting mood, here is a sample of quotes from Henry David Thoreau, whose philosophies I have admired for a long time:

None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm

Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all.

Beware of all enterprises that require a new set of clothes.

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but religiously follows the new.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them

Must be out-of-doors enough to get experience of wholesome reality, as a ballast to thought and sentiment. Health requires this relaxation, this aimless life.

He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate

If I shall sell both my forenoons and afternoons to society, as most appear to do, I'm sure that, for me, there would be nothing left worth living for.

Our moments of inspiration are not lost though we have no particular poem to show for them; for those experiences have left an indelible impression, and we are ever and anon reminded of them.

Don't be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so.

To be a philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts, nor even to found a school, but so to love wisdom as to live according to its dictates a life of simplicity, independence, magnanimity, and trust. It is to solve some of the problems of life, not only theoretically, but practically.

I respect not his labors, his farm where everything has its price, who would carry the landscape, who would carry his God, to market, if he could get anything for him; who goes to market for his god as it is; on whose farm nothing grows free, whose fields bear no crops, whose meadows no flowers, whose trees no fruits, but dollars.

If a thousand men were not to pay their tax-bills this year, that would not be a violent and bloody measure, as it would be to pay them, and enable the State to commit violence and shed innocent blood. This is, in fact, the definition of a peaceable revolution, if any such is possible.

Between whom there is hearty truth, there is love.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone

Men have become the tools of their trade.

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live

These are just great! I've cut and pasted them into a word document. Got a feeling they may come in useful...

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 10:29 AM   #67
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
These are just great! I've cut and pasted them into a word document. Got a feeling they may come in useful...

Don't know if you are aware of this, but Gandhi read Thoreau as a youth, and purportedly was much influenced by Thoreau's philosophy of non-violent resistance and civil disobediance as mechanism of social change.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:31 AM   #68
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

Don't know if you are aware of this, but Gandhi read Thoreau as a youth, and purportedly was much influenced by Thoreau's philosophy of non-violent resistance and civil disobediance as mechanism of social change.
No I wasn't. However, I think it's time I did! What would be a good 'primer', or should I just dive straight into whichever?

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 10:37 AM   #69
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
No I wasn't. However, I think it's time I did! What would be a good 'primer', or should I just dive straight into whichever?

I would recommend starting with his classic essay, "Civil Disobediance."

If after reading that, you want more, perhaps his work "Walden", which is widely regarded as one of the classic works of American Literature, and is a mixture of philosophy and observations of nature.

Old 10-04-2001, 10:40 AM   #70
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
I would recommend starting with his classic essay, "Civil Disobediance."

If after reading that, you want more, perhaps his work "Walden", which is widely regarded as one of the classic works of American Literature, and is a mixture of philosophy and observations of nature.

Civil disobedience - would that be one of the foundation stones upon which non violent activism was built?

See you later alligator - 'tis time to take up my pen and work.......

------------------