Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2001, 03:17 PM   #101
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Er. Wow. I think... So that's you, huh, Diogenes? Admirable. I mean it.

But, um, I'm with Sephiroth on this - 'Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow!' - but I would LIKE to be like your quote.

I'm rather like a cat - capable of short bursts of vigorous activity followed by long periods of sloth!
Less of that! I'M the cat!!!!!

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-05-2001, 04:08 PM   #102
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
I think it is the interpretation of #4 that differs...I can certainly see your point, but that is not the interpretation that I make. For me it states that our purpose is not only for self-enjoyment...while enjoyment is needed, the world is much more complicated. Imagine if everyone just enjoyed themselves, where would the starving people be? Who would fight for the poor? There are unenjoyable things that need to be addressed...do you see what I am (poorly) trying to state. That enjoyment is obviously ok, but enjoyment to the point of ignoring the rest of the world is not.

Aha Moridin. My belief is that is we all did what we love for a living, then the world would be in a lot better shape than it is. At present, lots of people are round pegs crammed into different shaped holes. People often don't practice their vocation, their 'bliss' if you like, as a career. Many don't even know what their vocation is, others do, but feel it is out of reach, yet others do know, and do it in their spare time, not daring to do it full time, because they believe they wouldn't make enough to get along.

My feeling is, if you love something, then why not make it your life's work? (If you havent already.) Work towards it. Begin by doing it in your spare time, perhaps, and see where that takes you.

In a world where everyone was happy, satisfied and fulfilled by their work, in all the different fields of work and creativity that there are, I don't think there would be a lot of suffering. People who are genuinely happy have much more time for others, as a general rule. They have far more to give. In addition, people who genuinely love their work do it creatively, giving of their best to get the best results. People who love their work put in more hours, because it's not a sacrifice (and so they get better and better and better. Practice makes excellence.... Incidently, people who are excellent, tops at what they do, tend to make money... Worth remembering... )

People who hate or are indifferent to their jobs spend a lot of time escaping from them in their spare time (which cuts down time available for being creative, finding out who you are and what you want... Downtime from work often means downtime from life - trying to get away from all those things you don't like and don't really want in your life. The boring hours spent working, the commute, the frustration, the sense of wasting your precious life..) People who feel this way often don't have much left over for others, quite understandably. I know when in the past I've left work, just so thankful to be out of the door, but with the knowledge hanging over my head that I had to go back the next day, and then had to face the commute, I certainly was not in the mood for giving, relieving suffering, or even returning a smile. All I could think of was me, and the bad time I was having.

I think enjoyment of work is fundamental to building a better world.

Oh, a point I didn't get round to making there...... fighting for the poor, feeding the hungry.... these too are vocations. (Even when they aren't, it's still good to contribute, of course!!) But many people feel very strongly about these things, AND YET DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT THEM. But these feelings, if followed, can be the sign of a vocation, perhaps of a career. If you feel strongly about something, my advice is act on those feelings. You will enjoy doing it, and you will feel good that you've acted, done something to change the world for the better. You will also put to flight those feelings of powerlessness that attack all of us from time to time, of being too small and unimportant to drive change. We CAN change the world. Just do it.

Thanks, Moridin, for raising this, which is something I feel very strongly about.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Silver Cheetah (edited 10-05-2001).]
Old 10-05-2001, 04:11 PM   #103
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:

A lot of people have a sig quote - for those that don't, or even those that do, what is the quote (or phrase of your own) that most sums up the essence of who you are?

Mine is from Ghandi, 'You must be the change that you want to see in the world.'

Thanks people, - would really like to see what you put. Any kind of quote - not just inspiring, of course! Just be truthful.

Doesn't mine speak for itself? OK, I guess i could explain the mummy - last year i worked late, and was on the board during the hours normally reserved for the living dead. Often I would be winding down when cloudy was getting on, and she is the one who first joked about turning the undead when we traded quips. Then stealthy started his site, and hosted gif's for sigs. When I saw the mummy, I knew he was my baby - wrapped too tight in places, coming loose at the seams in others, but tirelessly slogging onward toward his goals. You want my quote? It comes from my daughter amanda, you can see us on stealthy's site http://communities.msn.co.uk/StealthysSite/shoebox.msnw The first half, she still says. It's when she has said the second half that I'll know it's too late to spend any more time with my *little* girl - "Dad, are you coming to school today?" vs. "Dad, you aren't coming to school today, are you?"
When she has said it the second way, I want to know there was not a single minute more I could have spent with her before that.

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To

Official Pin-Up Girl Evaluator/Massager of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy.

[This message has been edited by J.J. (edited 10-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by J.J. (edited 10-05-2001).]
Old 10-05-2001, 04:20 PM   #104
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by J.J.:
Doesn't mine speak for itself?

Not to me J.J, no. Some of the things you've said in past threads have made your sig meaningless as far as I'm concerned. Sorry, but you did ask.

------------------

Old 10-05-2001, 04:49 PM   #105
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Not to me J.J, no. Some of the things you've said in past threads have made your sig meaningless as far as I'm concerned. Sorry, but you did ask.

no need to apologize for honestly expressing yourself, s c . glad you're around, i did an edit of my other post, you were not a member while i was in the middle of my custody armageddon, back during the *JJ puts finger to lips, crouches down and looks around furtively, shhh!* moon's hope inn days
I know you most likely saw my bombastic posts and threads after the attack of sept 11. I stand by those. It is, however, a rather one-dimensional cross-section of my being, as Cloudy, Reeka, Moridin, Bahamut, Memnoch, Ziroc, and others can attest. As soon as it gets to cold and snowy to work outside, I'll be around more - like the stainless steel rat moving in for the winter, to keep his old joints from freezing up!LOLOLOL

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To

Official Pin-Up Girl Evaluator/Massager of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy.
Old 10-05-2001, 05:14 PM   #106
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by J.J.:
no need to apologize for honestly expressing yourself, s c . glad you're around, i did an edit of my other post, you were not a member while i was in the middle of my custody armageddon, back during the *JJ puts finger to lips, crouches down and looks around furtively, shhh!* moon's hope inn days
I know you most likely saw my bombastic posts and threads after the attack of sept 11. I stand by those. It is, however, a rather one-dimensional cross-section of my being, as Cloudy, Reeka, Moridin, Bahamut, Memnoch, Ziroc, and others can attest. As soon as it gets to cold and snowy to work outside, I'll be around more - like the stainless steel rat moving in for the winter, to keep his old joints from freezing up!LOLOLOL

Fair enough! Harry Harrison, eh? Well, that's brownie points in my book!

------------------

Old 10-05-2001, 05:27 PM   #107
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Okay, Silver Cat Lady, here is a quote which reflects my essence, as I like to perceive it at this particular moment in time

This is from "Walden" by Thoreau:

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion."

I must have missed this earlier. Wow, Dio!! If this represents where you are at the moment, then your inner life must be interesting indeed. I'm going to buy Walden tomorrow, you have whetted my appetite.

------------------

Old 10-05-2001, 05:34 PM   #108
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
I must have missed this earlier. Wow, Dio!! If this represents where you are at the moment, then your inner life must be interesting indeed. I'm going to buy Walden tomorrow, you have whetted my appetite.

Well . . . uh . . . okay, I exaggerated But it is something to strive for.

No need to buy Walden. The whole thing is available online:

http://www.eserver.org/thoreau/walden00.html

[This message has been edited by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown (edited 10-05-2001).]
Old 10-05-2001, 05:38 PM   #109
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Well . . . uh . . . okay, I exaggerated But it is something to strive for.

No need to buy Walden. The whole thing is available online, at the same link I posted in this thread earlier for Civil Disobedience.

Something to strive for indeed! (Don't strive, just do it )

Re Walden....... Ok, so it's an essay, rather than a book?

------------------

Old 10-05-2001, 05:41 PM   #110
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Something to strive for indeed! (Don't strive, just do it )

Re Walden....... Ok, so it's an essay, rather than a book?

No, its a full book.