Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2001, 03:18 PM   #11
Jazzid
Manshoon

Good point there Davros. Sometimes I wish that I hadn't installed the path . Although, many thoughs about the game have already been put forth I'd also like to add a few of my own...

First W&W is a GREAT game. The best evidence for this is that I can't help going back to it although I've already completed it once. Admittedly, the storyline is a bit thin compared to BG1 ToSc. What I really liked in THAT game was how you started with not knowing who you were, and then finding out that you were a child of Bhaal, a thread which continued in BG2 and finally, in ToB.

In W&W, on the other hand, this is well made up for with all interesting encounters which make you travel all over the beautiful Gael Serran. I've probably spent as much time wandering about out of doors, in search for various key persons, as in crypts. Also, the people you meet really do have a personality of their own - and that's something that has, IMHO, been lacking in BG. Excellent examples are Shinwiki, Erothsmedor and the Boogres (me thinks they are, duh, wonderful).

When it comes to crypt crawling, which seems to be a necessity in all RPGs, I believe that the game is well balanced. Some crypts are larger than others, but they are all different in that they all have an athmosphere of their own. Cet's pyramid is probably the most beautifully rendered crypt I've seen thus far. Also, there is always some sort of intellectual challenge, or puzzle, in them which well makes up for the monster bashing (which I personally enjoy). I like the kind of puzzles when I need to step back a bit and consider: "how shall I solve this?" Do I need to be systematic, draw a map, or simply flip all levers I see to find out what happens.

Finally, and maybe the most important aspect of any good RPG... the character development is unequalled. I haven't played a game which leaves one with so many options to create customised careers for its characters. Wiz 7 might have something similar, but I haven't yet played that one (although I have the gold edition lying on a shelf at home).

Cheers // Jazzid
Jazzid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 04:26 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazzid:
...Finally, and maybe the most important aspect of any good RPG... the character development is unequalled. I haven't played a game which leaves one with so many options to create customised careers for its characters. Wiz 7 might have something similar, but I haven't yet played that one (although I have the gold edition lying on a shelf at home).

Cheers // Jazzid
Dear Jazzid,

It [Wizardry 7] does, and Wizardry 8 offers even more of the same, supposedly.

Cheers,

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 06:55 PM   #13
Mandrake42
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I must admit I quite enjoy the problem solving too. Gives you something to do apart from fight. Im only early in the game but both the bauble stick and speaking to the statue were quite good. The bauble stick was easy but speaking to the statue took me a little while. (I was trying to use the amulet on it somehow at first and it wasnt until I read it again that the penny dropped). Great fun. *Trudles deeper into the depths in search of....* Aggggh! RABID KITTENS *Runs for the exit*
Mandrake42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 12:59 AM   #14
stwrsfan1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually this was my 1st rpg for the pc. I enjoyed alot. I thought that
all the elements in the game were awsome. My father brought me up in the
D&D world anlong with Star wars of course . He was really into it the role playing games. He pasted away before I got the game that was almost a year and a half ago. I bet he would of loved it. Especailly LORD CET!! My father always favored the bad guys. Maybe I have a little of him too :') (sniff) stwrsfan1
stwrsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 01:09 AM   #15
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by stwrsfan1:
Actually this was my 1st rpg for the pc. I enjoyed alot. I thought that
all the elements in the game were awsome. My father brought me up in the
D&D world anlong with Star wars of course . He was really into it the role playing games. He pasted away before I got the game that was almost a year and a half ago. I bet he would of loved it. Especailly LORD CET!! My father always favored the bad guys. Maybe I have a little of him too :') (sniff) stwrsfan1
Dear Stwrsfan1,

I imagine that somewhere your dad is watching you play W&W and enjoying it mightily. Thanks for sharing that story.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote