Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2002, 12:05 PM   #41
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Mmmmm, just wondering how much the people on here know about other cultures, I bet you base a lot of it on limited experience and TV shows - for example, some people may jump to the conclusion that all us Brits love the Queen cos they talked to a couple of ex-pats about it once....
Actually I got the idea that the Queen was respected and well thought of, from several hundred Royal Navy and Royal Airforce types that I happened to spend time with in the 80's [img]smile.gif[/img] I guess I got a very slanted view. I do admit my mistake though, since you and Donut and some others very kindly set me straight [/QUOTE]Thanks for taking that in the good humour in which it was intended Magik! Yep you would get a different view talking to military personnel than you would talking to civilians. You might well get that impression from some British TV shows too, but I don't think you get that many of ours, at least not as many as we get from you lot!

If all I watched on TV was Friends and Frasier I'd probably think that all Americans lived in beautiful large spacious and wonderfully decorated city apartments and did nothing but dwell on relationship problems!

I think most people (at least I hope) are fairly open minded about other cultures, I certainly wouldn't judge anyone from what I saw on TV. And I cannot stand Oprah's show, we get it here and I don't bother (tho I have seen some, don't like to criticise without experience), most of the time I find it oh so sickly treacly sweet and not very 'real'. And don't even talk to me about Jerry Springer, you could find people just like his guests in probably most countries, they are weirdos for airing their dirty linen on TVs, but only individually are they weirdos, I don't watch it and think 'blimey, aren't Americans strange!'
Old 11-06-2002, 12:19 PM   #42
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Jerry Springer.......isn't.... reality ??????
Old 11-06-2002, 01:39 PM   #43
Mellagar

Jerry Springer is a cross-dresser.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:52 PM   #44
Darkman

My bad, thought this was a serious discussion for a moment. Carry on [img]graemlins/stunned.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2002, 01:56 PM   #45
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Mmmmm, just wondering how much the people on here know about other cultures, I bet you base a lot of it on limited experience and TV shows - for example, some people may jump to the conclusion that all us Brits love the Queen cos they talked to a couple of ex-pats about it once....
Actually, Epona, we go to Blighty at least every other year to visit some of our friends. Only in June, though. We went in December once and it was a bit chilly. There were complaints from .. er ... a member of the family. She loves Harrods. Also visit in Italy and France, though not so often.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:59 PM   #46
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Jerry Springer.......isn't.... reality ??????
I thought it was! A distinct majority of his guests are from North Carolina.