Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2001, 05:44 AM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Hi Memny! Going for a new puter eh? Hehe, er well they do need to be changed sometimes..
And get rid of the Win ME.. Just personal, but I would prefer a dual boot with good old win 98 for gaming and a Win 2K for working.. IMHO.. Havenīt had that much good experence from Win ME and not heard to many others say it was good enough..
Hi Wolfy. What do you mean by dual-boot? How does that work?

------------------
Old 07-05-2001, 07:41 AM   #12
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Hi Wolfy. What do you mean by dual-boot? How does that work?

Dual boot means that you cn run both Win98 and Win2k on the same computer, you choose your operative of choice everytime you boot your puter. Win 98 installed first then you install 2K afterthat and choose to have a dual system.

You have to install most drivers and such in both system but win 98 is much better for gaming and win2 k is more stabel for working programs and such!

This way you have a system for play and one for work.

That deal with P4 is a good one, though costly i bet. Remember that P4 eats RAM like a starved mouse eats cheese in Switzerland!

Have you ever considered AMD? The new Athlon4 will have the same support for games that Intel has so it will be much more stabel with some games, also it beats the heck out of every other system when you run a 3D game!!! By far!!!! AMD is also cheaperand has mostly some better values in all testings than Intel on the same Mhz.. I suppose it is mostly numbers running up and down but except the troubles I had with Icewind dale I have been very happy for my AMD machine.. Its a money saver!!! Well just some opinions!

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 07-05-2001, 08:09 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

That deal with P4 is a good one, though costly i bet. Remember that P4 eats RAM like a starved mouse eats cheese in Switzerland!
Wolfie, what do you mean by eats RAM? If I have 256Mb I should be ok, right?

Any more comments from people? Surely you can do better than this...

------------------
Old 07-05-2001, 08:14 AM   #14
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Wolfie, what do you mean by eats RAM? If I have 256Mb I should be ok, right?

Any more comments from people? Surely you can do better than this...

Well WIN2K needs 128 to run as an OS.. So well 256 MB is what I would recommend to have at a minimum.. but thats maybe just me..

The P4 is a good machine, but well now with the new 1.7 Ghz comming out, and the new Athlon 4, I would wait a little ahile, prices may drop even more..

------------------

Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 07-05-2001, 08:38 AM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

The P4 is a good machine, but well now with the new 1.7 Ghz comming out, and the new Athlon 4, I would wait a little ahile, prices may drop even more..

I can't wait, Wolfy!! I'm suffering here, trying to play ToB. The slowdown is UNBEARABLE!!!!

Thanks for your feedback, though!

------------------
Old 07-05-2001, 08:42 AM   #16
WOLFGIR

Quote:
I can't wait, Wolfy!! I'm suffering here, trying to play ToB. The slowdown is UNBEARABLE!!!!

Thanks for your feedback, though!

LOL! I hear you Memny, perhaps I could make you go and look up the AMD 1200... Repordely one of the best game Processors released to a reasonable price.. Well, i donīt know how prices is down there and if it is much of a facto for you...

Youīre welcome dude!

Most things you buy today is better than what one used to have hehe!

------------------

Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 07-05-2001, 09:57 AM   #17
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

another point to think on is that windowsXP is coming out in october.
If you get the pentium 4 [b]DO NOT PUT WIN 98 ON IT[B]. if you have a p4 you will have to have ME or 2K to utilize its features. win98 will slow it down tremendously. But i can tell you that the P4 with 256MB+ of RDRAM is one fast SOB. and i'll email you some info.

------------------

Get The IronWorks Winamp skin
Old 07-05-2001, 10:19 AM   #18
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
[B]another point to think on is that windowsXP is coming out in october.
If you get the pentium 4 [b]DO NOT PUT WIN 98 ON IT. if you have a p4 you will have to have ME or 2K to utilize its features. win98 will slow it down tremendously. But i can tell you that the P4 with 256MB+ of RDRAM is one fast SOB. and i'll email you some info.

Thanks Slackerbiy, I didnīt know that the P4 didnīt like Win98 that much.. Hmm, seems like Win98 is moving towards the grave soon... Well hopefully they wil lmake a good OS for games otherwise we will all be using Consoles soon

------------------

Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 07-05-2001, 10:32 AM   #19
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

are you guys pissing me off?!?!?! i am like here, cannot even decide coz i dont have ANY money!!!!! WAAAAAH!!!!!

Memny's talking about new PCs, and peeps are here to say they have this, try this and that blah blah... its depressing!!!

anyways, what is the requirements of ToB btw? i mean, if it makes a dramatic slowdown, it means it packs a punch...

------------------

Yukishiro Tomoe
Old 07-05-2001, 10:35 PM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
[B]another point to think on is that windowsXP is coming out in october.
If you get the pentium 4 [b]DO NOT PUT WIN 98 ON IT. if you have a p4 you will have to have ME or 2K to utilize its features. win98 will slow it down tremendously. But i can tell you that the P4 with 256MB+ of RDRAM is one fast SOB. and i'll email you some info.

What if I only got 128k of RAM? Will it still run ok?

------------------