Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2002, 09:06 PM   #11
Legolas
Jack Burton

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wulfere:
Most of the questions have already been answered.

However they had to make the film this way so non-fans would go see it. That said let me also say that I have heard the Directors Cut DVD
will be somewhere around 4hrs and 45 minutes long. I have seen scenes,
that were not in the movie shown in the theaters, on tv. During a broadcast on the History Channel they did a Bio of J.R.R. Tolkien. The books featured heavily in the Bio and they showed scenes that were not seen in the theaters. One showed Legolas running his hands over the Bow of Galadriel after she gave it to him. Another showed them loading up the elven boats and elves brining them wrapped bundles (lembas and the cloaks perhaps). So do not dispair. They may have alot more in the DVD release. Personally I would have sat through a 10 hour movie, if they gave us potty breaks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

Yay!
I'd even sit through a good 10 hour LotR movie without the potty breaks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Any idea when the DVD release will be yet?

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:10 AM   #12
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I have heard from folks that it won't be out till after the third movie is released. But I doubt that greatly. It doesn't make sense in a marketing way.

Think about it...they will want to keep LotR in peoples minds and want to keep them ready to see the next one. After thinking it over I would expect that the Acadamy Awards will actually set the release date for the DVD back a few months. Since, if it takes any of the awards, they will keep it in the Theaters for awhile longer. Once it is gone from there I would expect the DVD to be out some time in September or October. That way they can hype the release of the second movie, The Two Towers, and reap the rewards of the DVD at the same time. Then when TTT is released to the theaters they will get a boost in the DVD sales from that.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:36 PM   #13
Lavindathar
Harper

<font color="cyan">Now I know that there will be a Directors cut DVD, do not fear, as if there is one, Tom will be on it. I know for a fact that the scenes of Tom WERE filmed, but I thought they just cut it. Guess it will be on the DVD, cant wait though. Bet the price would be extortionate!</font>
Old 02-20-2002, 07:30 PM   #14
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lavindathar:
<font color="cyan"> but IMPO, they have missed things out that they will find hard to explain in the second film.
</font>
<hr></blockquote>

I have heard that the film is actually 4 hour long but had to be shortened to 3 for the cinemas. So prehaps Tom Bombadil will make an appearance after all we will just have to wait for it to be released on video.

P.S I thought that the way Merry and Pippin were portrayed in the movie was awful they were nothing like that in the book.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Daniel ]</p>
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:56 PM   #15
Tancred
White Dragon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lavos:
I heard something about directors cut edition too, but it is suposse to be out in the end after the third movie. And which bonehead omitted
Tom Bombadil?!
<hr></blockquote>

WHAT BONEHEAD?!? The bonehead who wanted LotR to be a watchable film, perhaps? Well, the screenplay was written by the same guy who adapted the BBC radio play, so I guess he's your man. But how can you get an audience to understand Tom Bombadil through the media of film?
Old 02-21-2002, 01:45 AM   #16
Crimson
Dungeon Master

i would rather get the dvd 32 yrs from now and watch 9 over hours straight that would be fun
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 08:06 AM   #17
Epona
Zartan

I hate to break it to you, but the movie industry exists to make a profit - which means they don't just cater for diehard fans of a genre. I would be perfectly happy to sit through a long film, but it would be more expensive to make and would not get the public at large to go pay their hard-earned to see a film!

The makers of the film needed to make a movie that would appeal to the general public, and they are not about making a true representation of ANY book. LOTR achieved that aim, almost everyone loved it, people (not fantasy fans, but 'normal' people, LOL) are going to see it more than once. The film has been a runaway success. If it had been longer than it was, chances are it would have run only in independent cinemas (longer films mean less viewings hence less ticket sales per day for your average multiplex) and would have made a huge loss - film making is a business, they have to produce a saleable product. And let me say, in this case, the product was an excellent one.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:00 AM   #18
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

I love Tom Bombadil, but you must admit that he was rather a sideshow, in that he never appears again, but is referred to teice, once at the Council Of Elrond, and once by Gandalf right before The Scouring of the Shire. If Tom was in BGII, he would be an "optional quest," LOL BTW, if the DVD does all of that,I shall finally break down and get a DVD player.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 03:29 PM   #19
Ezekial
The Magister

Cutting Tom wasn't so bad (for the film) but cutting the barrow sequence was. As it is the swords they have are no longer special in any way (in the books they were very effective against ringwraiths...killing the leader anyone?!?).

Also I feel the ONLY Hobit portrayed well was Sam!
Old 02-21-2002, 06:28 PM   #20
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Epona:
LOTR achieved that aim, almost everyone loved it, people (not fantasy fans, but 'normal' people, LOL) <hr></blockquote>

if only these people knew what they were missing
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote