Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2003, 04:55 PM   #11
ProLifeGrrl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I always pick an all male party; just because if I wanted to hear a bunch of weird female voices yakking all the time I could just stay in my apartment
<b>Juliet St. Catherine Alerio</b><br /><br />\"Every woman knows that if she were truly free, she would never bear an unwished-for child, nor think of murdering one before its birth.\" - Victoria Woodhull
ProLifeGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:37 PM   #12
babar
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by dplax:
quote:
Originally posted by sultan:
right now, there's really no reason to pick men or women in the game - you might as well have it genderless. i thought it would be interesting to see what kinds of ways all y'all would come up with of creating some of the aforementioned richness.
I think you are wrong there because of the female only stamina regenerating items. [/QUOTE]yes, and if you have an all female party, then you can't use the Chieftain's Mace. (but you have have to mug Chief Gari to get it)

Personally, I'd like more differentiation, but then I miss the days of Wizardry 1 sitting in front of an Apple IIe for hours hoping to roll enough points for a Samurai. But I don't miss the same experience with Wiz Gold, because the interface was so clunky (mouse this mouse that). If they bring back randomness, maybe they could have a % chance of a stereotypically sexed character (e.g. 80% burly guys with STR bonus, 20% weakling with smaller INT bonus + maybe extra points)
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:39 PM   #13
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Chieftain's Scepter is not my idea of a great mace, anyway.
But there IS that Cameo Locket!
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:19 PM   #14
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

Interesting point, sultan! Here's another thought:

I don't want a distinction between male and female! Why, you ask? Well, simply because I want to set up my party the way I like it without suffering disadvantages. E.g., I really NEED 2 casters, Marduk and Tiamat, which are male and female resp., but I don't want any of the two to be "worse" than the other, which would be the case if, like you suggest, males are stronger, but dumber than females. So in order to be able to apply the make the characters of my party have the sexes I want them to have, I really like that there's no difference, because otherwise I'd have to think about something like "I want the bishop to be male, but females are better suited for this class", and I don't want that! So,keep it the way it is, I like it [img]smile.gif[/img]

On the other hand, the same would apply to races as well, but I don't fell unhappy with certain races being better suited to a certain class than others, so I'm not really sure why the same kind of "individuallity" would bother me in the question of the sexes....

Cheers
Philipp

P.S.: Now that I read my post, I'm not sure if I am to write "sex" or "gender", so please read the one that suits, even if I used the wrong one (be gentle, I'm german [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 12-18-2003, 01:28 PM   #15
petertmorgan
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrates:

P.S.: Now that I read my post, I'm not sure if I am to write "sex" or "gender", so please read the one that suits, even if I used the wrong one (be gentle, I'm german [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Phillip (Pyrates): In English, sex refers to biology (as in XX or XY), gender to the cultural expectations based on sex. Both biology and cultural expectations/experience can affect physical and mental development. A biological female (sex) can have a male (gender) upbringing and vice versa (this is quite rare or course).

Regarding this thread more specifically, I noticed that so far, everyone has seemed to assume that the expectations we have of male and female humans should apply to the fantasy races as well. I guess there is no reason to assume that female fairies wouldn't be genetically and socially predisposed toward more physical prowess than their male counterparts, that female lizardmen would be less intelligent but faster than male lizardmen, etc. I agree with Pyrates that forcing a male/female difference in starting characteristics actually subtracts from the flexibility of the game (it would make me feel more compelled to pick the 'more appropriate' sex; I suppose that one could argue that personality could affect starting characteristics as well - then I again lose in the flexibility as I wouldn't want to be the intellectual Lizardwoman fighter and suffer a double hit against strength and vitality; I'm not saying I would pick an intellectual lizardwoman, it's just an example... [img]smile.gif[/img] . The great thing about being able to put characteristic points where you want them is that you can customize your characters to fit what you want in a character. The different races already provide a lot of options for base characteristics - and if you want your female characters to be weaker, just don't put as many points into strength, etc.
petertmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote