Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2002, 04:55 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I just heard that the Team USA will miss out on the medals at the basketball world championships after losing to Yugoslavia. To tell you the truth I'm not surprised. Some points to raise:

• These guys probably get paid more as a team than all the other teams combined.
  • It wasn't so much the fact that they lost - but the WAY they lost. Absolute shocker against both Argentina or Yugoslavia - no teamwork, no hunger, no will to win, they just looked like they were going through the motions, arguing with each other as their chances of victory evaporated.
  • Where were Shaq, Kobe, et al? The pride of wearing a Team USA jersey wasn't enough motivation for them to represent their country?
  • Team USA had 2 weeks to prepare for this tournament and it showed. Other teams had been preparing for weeks, some even months. They looked like a bunch of part-timers as they struggled to complete plays, struggled to execute basic basketball functions and tried to use their individual skills to win.
  • Heads will probably roll at Team USA for this failure - and at home, too.
  • Does anyone in the US really care about the result anyway?
  • If the answer to the above point is NO, then why is the US even competing in international basketball then?
Just some thoughts from an expatriate American now living in Australia who, after experiencing the rabid fervor and pride that Australians take in the performances of their national teams (it really does unite the country like NOTHING else does) as well as the fact that for an Australian sportsman the most IMPORTANT thing in their life is to represent their country - it just really upsets me that the US, with the depth of basketball talent at its disposal, could come up with such a disgraceful effort. Chuck Daly once said that the US could provide four basketball teams to the Olympics and they would come first, second, third and fourth. Famous last words, eh.
I hate to say it, but it just reinforces my idea of what the NBA has become - full of spoiled, rich brats who think they are about 10 times better than they really are (usually fueled by the major $$$ they get at age 19 to sign with NBA teams). Michael, Magic or Larry would not have turned it up the way this mob did.
Would be interested in hearing some feedback. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-06-2002, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 09-06-2002, 04:59 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Then again, the sheepshaggers (Kiwis) must be laughing, eh. I'm not looking forward to going to work on Monday (I sit next to a Kiwi). [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2002, 05:36 AM   #3
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Many sheep shall be shagged tonite WE BEAT PUERTO RICO!!!

WE are now guaranteed a place in the top 4 [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2002, 05:41 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's a telling quote from Antonio Davis which I think sums it all up:

Quote:

ANTONIO DAVIS
“All I can do now is apologize now for not representing the game of basketball the way we were supposed to. There’s no excuses and there’s no reason why we shouldn’t have gotten it done. The bottom line is we didn’t get it done. Coming into this thing I don’t think we realized how important it is to the other teams and how important it should’ve been to us, not only to represent our country, but to represent the game of basketball. I hope the outcome will show the countries around the world that these countries are getting better. These countries are growing tremendously in a lot of different areas of the game that they weren’t before. They’re stronger, they’re bigger and they’re smarter and they have learned how to play at a young age and we have to respect that. Our young people today and our coaches of today have to go out and teach guys the game of basketball the right way. I think if we continue to do that we’ll grow as much as they’ve grown.”

Old 09-06-2002, 05:42 AM   #5
norompanlasolas

and we beat those poor disgraceful nohopers of brazil. ahh... the beauty. there is nothing more satisfaying than beating brazil. this is even better than beating usa.

and yes, i do think team usa stunk real bad. and i dont believe any of the big stars would have made much of a difference. this was a matter of hunger to win and basic basketball tactics. and i do think the nba is waaaaaay overhyped, and that is being proved over and over when in the last few year more and more of its best players are from abroad (including the last rookie of the year).

edit: those certainly were a lot of ands [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 09-06-2002, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: norompanlasolas ]
Old 09-06-2002, 05:51 AM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Memnoch, i said this in another thread too, Shaq couldn't play due to an injurie. This wasn't the US first choice, it wasn't even second or third. I don't know exactly which guys played this tournament, but i'm sure there was no T-Mac, Vince Carter, C Webb, Kobe Bryant, etc. Cause if they were playing the other teams would be blown off the court. You can't put just any NBA player on the court and expect them to win the gold, the European and South American teams and Australia too,grew too big for that. But no need to get exited over this, i'm sure Americans are still the best basketballplayers in the world, and next time they WILL attend with their strongest team, just to set the record straight.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:57 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hmm, the effort from Team USA is sort of reminiscent of the half hearted way we went over to Sheepshagger Land to try and qualify. We got whooped pretty handily when we assumed that we could leave players out and talk a half team on limited prep over there. We thought it was a HUGE upset when we got knocked out, and Team NZed took our rightful place.

Both efforts (OZ and US) just shows what happens when you don't pay your opposition the respect they deserve.

Oh Christ - don't tell me the Tall Blacks will medal in mens world basketball competition before Australia does - to think of those couple of 4th placings we have had recently in Olympics - would be just our luck that the boys from the "Shakies" bob up with a gong this weekend. I feel sick [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2002, 05:58 AM   #8
Downunda

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Cause if they were playing the other teams would be blown off the court.
s'a bit presumptuous ain't it mate? Both Argentina and Yugoslavia played with skill and determination, who's to say that they wouldn't have won? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2002, 06:01 AM   #9
Downunda

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
I feel sick [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Can I get you a bowl?
Old 09-06-2002, 06:04 AM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda: