Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Default Six's Kitpack open for business

Waaaayy back in August, I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOfSpades
As a way of generating interest, I shall announce that I myself shall be taking up modding. Over the next few months, I shall be making some all-new kits, and reworking some old ones, in order to keep the game interesting and balanced (well, balanced according to my views, at any rate, feel free to disagree) for characters of all stripes. Have you ever wanted a Paladin who specializes in ranged combat? A Druid whose connection with Mother Earth is so strong that they ignore plants & animals to focus on the earth itself? How about a Beast Master that doesn't suck? These and more. All coming to you free of charge, courtesy of my Copious Free Time(tm). All that's required of you is your feedback, as well as your patience. Oh, yeah. Patience.
Well, the Paladin who specializes in ranged combat is here. The Druid is coming soon, but the Beastmaster is the most complicated of all, and will have to come last. But hey, a healthy percentage of the total mod concept is now fit for human consumption, and available for download.

Forum: here
Readme: here
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Default Re: Six's Kitpack open for business

Very nice, six. These kits are in their very best, quite frankly.

Downloading!
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
Shadow Stranger

A few of the official kits are not much use. Without access to the 2nd Edition complete Ranger's Handbook I can't say whether the Beast Master kit was bowdlerized when it was written into BG2. Generally, I don't know whether the pen and paper kits are adequately represented by what is in BG2.

You might find inspiration in the Complete handbooks for the various classes, you might find interesting kits that can be adapted for this computer game. Some people in this forum might still have access to them.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

very interestingg

the incremenental THACO penalties for the warrior classes is an interesting balancing mechanism i reckon

personally i like the shieldbearer (particularly how the 'lack' of melee fireworks is compensated in gameplay terms but the knockback thing) and the huntsman of silvanus (archer/druid - what's not to like?)

but aegar's hide is going to get very popular i reckon

EDIT - just started a MP game with the two above and the spellshafter to have a look see

Last edited by Armen; 01-16-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:09 AM   #5
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

bug?

my huntsman of silvanus can wear the leather and studded leather in C' Irenicus

(Mods: i posted this here because i'm not registered at pocket plane - let me know if you don't think i should have posted it here)
Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Not a bug. The HoS can wear any armor up to & including Hide. (No Elven Chain or higher.)
Old 01-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

i'm sorry - i had always (wrongly) assumed that hide armour was less good than the leathers - i guess because i've never worn any other than aegar's

there's always something new eh?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

update: i'm really liking my little one tank and two 'archers' party - they feel like kits tuned to a very specific playing style which is cool

buglet: huntsman of silvanus can't use the quiver of plenty from WK
Old 01-21-2008, 05:49 AM   #9
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

bug - something odd with memorised spells disappearing

huntsman of silvanus - level 12 - 'i pretended i played BG1 style' WIS=21

i found myself in this situation (which i think had happened before)

level - slots - memorised - 'lost'
1 - 7 - 4 - 3
2 - 6 - 3 - 3
3 - 5 - 3 - 2
4 - 5 - 3 - 2
5 - 3 - 3 - 0
6 - 2 - 2 - 0

attempting to replicate i did the following:

fill up all spell slots
rest
check all present (ok)
hard save
quit
reload

i had lost the following memorised spells (blank slots)

L1 - 2
L2 - 2
L3 - 2
L4 - 1
L5 - 0
L6 - 0

tried something slightly different

fill up all spell slots
rest
check all present (ok)
cast two spells of levels 1-4
hard save
quit
reload

i had lost the same memorised spells (blank slots) - apparently losing the cast spells

ADD: also the spell shafter has the follwoing spell slots

L1 - 1
L2 - 2 (necklace from CI)
L3 - 1

this character lost 1 spell slot from L2 as well with the same test as above

ta

Last edited by Armen; 01-21-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Sad Re: Six's Kitpack open for business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
bug - something odd with memorised spells disappearing
Confirmed. Damn!

The problem lies in the conflict between the "added" spells and the "subtracted" spells, and only occurs in spell levels where the character has both "added" spells (due to high Wisdom or items that add spellslots) and "subtracted" spells (for the Spellshafter, all spell levels, and for the Huntsman of Silvanus, all spell levels that, without high Wisdom, would have at least 3 spellslots). Basically, the spell-subtraction penalty is applied first, meaning you lose your spellslots, and then the spell-adding bonus is applied, meaning you get your spellslots back . . . empty.

I didn't think to check for things like this while I was testing, and frankly I have no idea how to fix it at the moment. For now, all I can do is suggest that you do your Saving/Reloading directly before you Rest. Sorry.