Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I've learned something today.

There is the thing that happens to a small percentage of kids between the ages of 3 and 12, but it mostly hits girls. My wife said she had it and so did all her sisters, where her legs would hurt bad enough to wake her up crying from sleep when she was a kid. Now my six year old (girl) wakes up sometimes with the same thing. I was thinking that it is a hereditory thing, but I have found no proof of that.

Here are a couple references in the event that any of you have or will have a baby girl someday.

http://www.pamf.org/preteen/parents/growingpains.html

http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/ill_in...ing_pains.html
Old 12-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
The.Relics Avatar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Not something I'm familiar with Larry, but I do sympathize. I wish you and your wife well in comforting her and possibly finding ways to help ease her pain and cope with it.
The.Relics Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Happened to me when I was 9-10 I'd say. Got charlie horses in my legs a LOT at night. My dad would do a light scissor chop with his hands along my legs to get them to stop hurting, it worked great!

So, not sure if it is the same thing Larry, but if so just know it was a temporary thing for me anyways. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Growing pains can be a serious bitch. When i was younger i had two friends, they were brothers. Ever since i met them they were of an average height, but suddenly they started to grow. They grew so fast in such a short amount of time, that up until today, their backs show signs like they have been whipped a couple of hundred times. It's almost like giant scars. It won't go away, they simply have to live with it. They are about the same height as i am, except i didn't have a sudden growth explosion like they did. They still feel kinda embarrassed to take their shirt off on the beach, and if you saw the marks on their backs, it wouldn't even be a surprise.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I have a customer which is the International RETT's syndrome. I don't quite remember the condition, but it only affects young girls.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

I grew 8" in the 10th grade, my knees hurt alot that year.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

Great info in that first link Larry. Holly suffers from this a lot and because it always 'happened' at bedtime we suspected she was just playing up, now we know better.

Cheers [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I had growing pains in my discs while growing up. I felt it for about a week every few months. It hurt quite a bit, but wasn't anything alarm-raising. And yep, it always started at night, was gone at noon the following day, only to return at night again.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
I had growing pains in my discs while growing up. I felt it for about a week every few months. It hurt quite a bit, but wasn't anything alarm-raising. And yep, it always started at night, was gone at noon the following day, only to return at night again.
But did you manage to save the data on those discs ?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Nah, they crashed, had to get new ones. And that was a hassle, let me tell you. Different speeds, different drivers, had to get a new mobo... damn growth! :shakefist: