Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2002, 08:29 AM   #1
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Ok, here's the deal.
I got homework today, saying that I must write a story on atleast 2.5 pages.
I must imagine that I live in London in 1666, and tell my life-story.
But I just cant find a good start! Can anyone out there help me?

see ya!
Old 01-08-2002, 08:31 AM   #2
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Write on every other line - use more space up
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 01-08-2002, 08:49 AM   #3
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Hi, Exxon. Since you helped me, I'll take a swipe at it.
"As dawn broke in London, Sir Josiah Peabody had just finished adjusting his wig. He surveyed the result with complacency. The woman in the bed had not yet awakened,and her soft snores filled the room. Peabody slipped noiselessly out, and once in the street, commenced the brief walk to the Admiralty, where he was to wait on Lord Bartholomew Chicester, the Second Lord of the Admiralty, about his request for a command of a ship to fight in the Dutch Wars. His last ship, the 74-gun Traffic had been lost after a desperate combat against the Dutch cruisers Noordhwuin and Heemskirck, sending both of them to the bottom, but so weakening the poor Traffic that she had succumbed in a storm that followed. A Cort Martial had of necessity followed, but he had been honorably cleared. Now, Lord Batrholomew had sent him a letter, advising him of Milord's good opinion and the hint that, if he happened to be in town, his Lordship just might have something for him" How's that?
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 01-08-2002, 09:01 AM   #4
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
Ok, here's the deal.
I got homework today, saying that I must write a story on atleast 2.5 pages.
I must imagine that I live in London in 1666, and tell my life-story.
But I just cant find a good start! Can anyone out there help me?

see ya!

Ha! Ha!, just tell them how bloody hot it is!

This subject is so broad - you just lived through the Great Plague & now you are in the Great Fire of London, you might find it hard to limit it to 2.5 pages!!!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-08-2002, 09:05 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Do a Google search on it....
The most obvious subject would be the Great Fire. Try and read up on that a bit and imagine the effect it had on people's lives.
Try and find some info on Pepys' Diaries, too, they're quite famous and should inspire you. His diaries were written in a secret code that was cracked years later. He started writing it in 1660.
Try to start with thinking about the kind of person you were: rich or poor, scholar or merchant... what religion did you have, what political views. Remeber that the period of Commonwealth had just been ended seven years ago by the ascension of Charles II. How does your persona feel about that?
An other interesting viewpoint may be to write your story from a foreigner's point of view. When war broke out between France and Spain in 1635, London saw a huge influx of protestant refugees. You could try to write from the stance of such a refugee who decided to build up a new life in London.

In short, try to find a persona and immerse yourself in his world. If you can REALLY imagine what his life and ideals were like, your story will be convincing. Good Luck!!!

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2002, 09:08 AM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

This subject is so broad - you just lived through the Great Plague & now you are in the Great Fire of London, you might find it hard to limit it to 2.5 pages!!!

Good point. Assume that your teacher knows enough about the subject: don't go explaining the political situation or giving an overview of the history of England: write from the viewpoint of one who assumes that his/her audience knows the same things as he/she him/herself knows.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:12 AM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ack... one more thing:

Run a GOOD spellcheck and if you're still unsure, I'd be happy to help out with any spelling/grammatical problems you may encounter: it just really makes a difference.
Oh and Galadria...isn't the story supposed to be written from a first-person perspective? Not sure if that was in the assignment or not... [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2002, 09:48 AM   #8
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Easy enogh to change, Melusine. Just trying to help.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 01-08-2002, 10:37 AM   #9
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

Try this approach:

"Bring out your dead
Bring out your dead.

I'm not dead yet.
Oh, shut up.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:43 AM   #10
Vampire

what happened in 1666?