Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2002, 10:54 AM   #11
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
what happened in 1666?

Mmmm! Avatar your profile says you are in Cambridge University. Do you work in the kitchens or something? please don't tell me you are a student in one of the world's greatest universities after a question like that!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-08-2002, 10:57 AM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Mmmm! Avatar your profile says you are in Cambridge University. Do you work in the kitchens or something? please don't tell me you are a student in one of the world's greatest universities after a question like that!

And it's even in my and your posts!!
Baaaaad Avatar! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] Tsk tsk
Old 01-08-2002, 11:38 AM   #13
Donut
Jack Burton

My advice would be to write it from the viewpoint of someone of your own age. make yourself poor you'll have more to write about - you would have been working from the age of 7/8. Perhaps you should be a baker's apprentice [img]smile.gif[/img]

Of course your parents died last year in the plague and you have been looking after your siblings since then. Older sister is a prostitute working in nearby Whitechapel. You do a bit of pickpocketing on the side of course but doesn't everyone!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-08-2002, 11:41 AM   #14
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
Ok, here's the deal.
I got homework today, saying that I must write a story on atleast 2.5 pages.
I must imagine that I live in London in 1666, and tell my life-story.
But I just cant find a good start! Can anyone out there help me?

If you don't mind doing a little research, the perfect book for you is Liza Picard's Restoration London, from St. Martin's Press. It's set in 1660, and to quote The Independent, "There is almost no aspect of life in Restoration London that is not meticulously described in these three-hundred-odd pages." I don't agree with all of her conclusions; simply because most people didn't write about sex, doesn't mean that it was of so little interest as Picard explains, for example. But her collection of material is fascinating, and she deals with everything from heating to noise to royal parks to waste disposal to slaves to meals to cosmetics to medical risks. Your imagination will definitely be sparked by reading the thing. [img]smile.gif[/img]