Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2003, 11:53 AM   #41
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

3. Colleen wonders how I can remember this stuff from the 1970's and 80's and yet can't remember that tuesdays and fridays are trash pickup days...
It's all about priorities

Ah Quicksilver - that's the name of the fast guy I was thinking of. In the cartoons he turns out to be Magneto's son - does that happen in the comics?
Old 05-04-2003, 02:38 PM   #42
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:

Ah Quicksilver - that's the name of the fast guy I was thinking of. In the cartoons he turns out to be Magneto's son - does that happen in the comics?
Yup... And The Scarlet Witch is the name of his sister you couldn't come up with earlier.
As for how the old X-Men cartoon compares to the comic... Most of the episode plotlines were originally taken from the comic. Only the team of X-Men in the cartoon was a lot more, well, "stable" than in the comic, a lot less fluctuations in its line-up; There were certainly less deaths and disappearances as well, and most of the plotlines were simplified drastically, most likely to keep it more easily accessible and easier to follow for the target audience. I mean, for example, they turned the Age of Apocalypse saga in a four-episodes-stretching cartoon storyline, which is a far cry from the 66-issues from which the original AoA comic-series consisted... They literally recreated the entire Marvel universe in the comic, while in the cartoon, there were only a few minutes worth of "alternate universe", which were a lot more harmless than the original line (since the comic authors, as this was only an alternate universe anyways, had complete freedom about reshaping and killing off characters; and believe me, they used that freedom to the fullest ). Heck, even the cause and the solution in the comic of the AoA was completely different.

As for the bad guy turning good-scenario concerning Magneto, it actually happened a lot of times in the comics; Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Rogue, Emma Frost, heck, even Juggernaut turned good in the end (in the most recent issues of Uncanny X-Men, Juggernaut is actually more or less an X-Man - talk about desperate plottwists to sell more books ).
Old 05-04-2003, 02:45 PM   #43
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I think they've done the current story better than the original. Magneto is much better this way than just some wacko trying to be eeevil. I really like his history as a concentration camp sufferer. It makes his stance on mutant issues much more understandable. "Get them before they get us."

Okay, there a spoilers coming up, big ones, I warned you, highlight text:

The setup for the Phoenix bit is cool (notice the red phoenix in the lake at the end). Jean's events in X-men 1 (which I absolutely *must* see again now) leading to new powers and all. I like it better than meeting some weirdo creature at the edge of the universe (which was the cartoon's version of events).

I like that they began this plot back in the first movie - remember Wolvie's weird dreams from the same set and scenery?

I want them to kill off some ones. Makes for a more realistic story. So far, Jean Grey is the only "good" mutant who has died - and we all know she'll be coming back - so it's sorta hokey that no one dies.

Thank god they left out Hank. He would annoy me completely.

Nightcrawler, and the opening scene, ROCKED.

Magneto's use of iron to escape prison beat the scene where Nightcrawler saved Rogue, IMO. It was very cool.

I didn't like mystique last movie - but LOVED her in this one. The flick-off while sliding under the door was classic.

All in all, a great flick. WOnderful special effects. Good story. Good themes (and pretty creative use of themes - we all know them because we read the comics, but on the big screen they're pretty creative).

One problem: my wife liked the movie, but supports mutant registration. She and I discussed this. She sees them as dangerous, with the few that seek to do harm and the many that inadvertantly do harm being VERY dangerous. She thinks they have an uneven playing field and that it is unfair to regular people.

[ 05-04-2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 05-04-2003, 02:46 PM   #44
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

3. Colleen wonders how I can remember this stuff from the 1970's and 80's and yet can't remember that tuesdays and fridays are trash pickup days...
It's all about priorities

[/QUOTE]Yes...he and the Scarlet Witch are both children of Magneto (IIRC - happened before I started collecting X-Men).

Magneto has ALWAYS been a bad guy and has ALWAYS felt that homo-sapians were inferior to homo-superior (ie mutants). He has always viewed humans as something to be barely tolerated (remember, his parents died in a Nazi war camp - he has seen homo-sapians "monstrous" side and will never allow that to happen to mutants). This is his "driving force" throughout the books. Most of the time, he is battling the X-Men and humans. For awhile, he did "convert" and actually led the X-Men (starting around Issue 200). Still later, he decided to just leave it all behind and set up a base on an asteroid - where he offered sanctuary to any mutants who wished to come there.

The one character I would really like to see make an appearance is Arch-Angel...the darker, more sinister version of the original Angel. That would be a cool character.

And for those who haven't seen the movie OR read the comics - the most powerful mutant on the planet is ........

PROFESSOR X

The only limits to his powers are those he imposes on himself. Why do you think Magneto wears that "dorky" helmet all the time? Because Charles Xavier could turn his mind to mush, if the mood struck him. Same thing with Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, or Shadow King. Professor X could beat them all if he decided to play by thier rules.

BTW, Apocalypse didn't really have a "highlander" complex against Magneto (that I remember anyway). Apocalypse was the embodiement of the "Survival of the Fittest" ideology. He always attacked mutants in order to weed out the weak and make the strong ones stronger. He didn't necessarily have to be top-dog. Then again, I'm like Magik..I stopped reading the comic back in the early 90's. A lot could have changed since then.

Mutant villains I want to see: Juggernaut (of course) and the Blob, and The Hellfire Club!!!

Minor Movie Spoiler....
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Where did Gambit appear in X2???? He didn't - but his name DID. When Mystique hacked into Stryker's computer system and found the list of known mutants...the name Remy Lebeau popped up and stayed "on camera" for just about 2 seconds. A good indicator that the Rajun Cajun may show up in person next time around!!!
Old 05-04-2003, 03:02 PM   #45
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Where did Gambit appear in X2???? He didn't - but his name DID. When Mystique hacked into Stryker's computer system and found the list of known mutants...the name Remy Lebeau popped up and stayed "on camera" for just about 2 seconds. A good indicator that the Rajun Cajun may show up in person next time around!!!
Awg, there were more names on that screen of characters who have yet to make an appearance, even though I highly doubt most of them actually ever will; Paige and Samuel Guthrie (Husk and Cannonball), Keniucho Harada (The Silver Samurai), Garrison Kane (Weapon X), Artie Meddicks, Jamie Madrox (Multiple Man), Xi'an Coy Mahn (Karma), Pietro and Wanda Maximoff (Quick Silver and Scarlet Witch), Kevin McTaggert (Orpheus), Danielle Moonstar (Mirage)... I wouldn't regard that as a spoiler for movies to come. But, since Gambit is one of the more popular X-characters, it's a relatively safe guess he'll make an appearance in the next movie either way.

[ 05-04-2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 05-04-2003, 03:03 PM   #46
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Caramba... now I feel like watching it again just to catch that 2-seconds glimpse of my favourite mutant, Gambit. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2003, 03:20 PM   #47
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I'm off to see it v. soon. Me And Lavi are off to the Wigan UGC.. I'm gonna be glued to the screen!!
Old 05-04-2003, 04:40 PM   #48
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

I'm seeing it tomorrow! (Monday, May 5th). Can't wait! And I remember when Magneto set up the base on the asteroid...that's when Phoenix appeared, if I'm not mistaken...possessed Jean to save her life, but then refused to come out...this is all in the TV series btw.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:09 PM   #49
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
the most powerful mutant on the planet is ........

PROFESSOR X

I'd agree with that.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-04-2003, 07:26 PM   #50
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

*Minor Spoilers*
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
Okay I'm Back! Seen it now! After an eventful night including Lavi's driving (See my other post).. It ruled! Amazing!!!! I only wish that when Colossus offered to help Logan said "OK".. lol. Colossus rules. But I must say that Nightcrawlers powers stole the show. But I felt a bit mean when people kept telling him to shut up as soon as he mentioned the fabulous nightcrawler in the munich Circus.. Poor guy. I loved the first scenes in the white house, but can I ask, Can nightcrawler change his skin colour, or was it a mask? Whatever, It ruled